arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If Gluten Intolerant, Immediate Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spunky007

Spunky007

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

After years of ups and downs with malfunctionng digestion, I am so determined to sort it out. I want a different kind of life so badly...a system that works. I can't even imagine!

Anyhow, first I tried a strict elimination, eating only a few foods I know generally work for me, planning to stick to that until I stabalized, then build. Sounds logical, right?
Except I can never really stabalize... I improved, ended a big flareup withing 24hr, but the general ups and downs continued.
When I freed up my diet, things like a bunch of veggies helped. Even lactose [a classic problem] didn't seem to make a difference. yet over the next few days my digestion headed downhill again...

All this time I HAVE stayed gluten free. I wanted to give it a chance because it keeps being suggesting, though I haven't had any reason to associate it with problems.

What I'm wondering is, can you tell right away if you have a reaction to gluten? With everythign so messed up anyhow, if I had a period where I was semi-stable [my usual coping mode] and ate, say, a bowl of cereal or regular bread, would I know right away if gluten for the first time in weeks was one of the key causes to my problems?\

NOTE: I can't get medical help/testing due to severe lack of finances and insurance--please, just share your experience with how I can know whether gluten is a problem or not!
determined to solve this and take on a new kind of life...
...lost in the mess

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

I have a pretty immediate reaction (within an hour or two) to lactose and corn. But with gluten it can be as much as 24 hours; I will generally know by then.I believe everyone is different in this respect.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 frustrated09

frustrated09

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:52 PM

I am self-diagnosed gluten and dairy intolerant as of july 09. I am still working on getting all the way gluten free. i have just recently changed shampoos, lotions, toothpaste and many other items. A vaseline lotion i just bought sunday morning and tried in the store, with in an hour my energy was draining and within a couple hours total I felt like crap for the rest of the day. If something bothers me I either get really sleepy tired and/or stomach and gut hurt or grumble. it takes from 20min to 24 hrs for it to hit me.

Marsha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: