Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bumps Are Back What Do You Think?

13 posts in this topic

A little over a year ago, my then 7 yr old daughter was covered with molluscum and eczema and what I always suspected was DH but it was never confirmed and I really didn't know. In December 2008 she went gluten free and all of her skin issues resolved completely.

I know we have had accidental glutening over the past year witgh sauces at restaurants or other things that had less obvious gluten but her skin never broke out again. I put DH out of my mind. But, 2 days ago, all of a sudden, she has 7 bumps that look like the beginning of what she had before (5 on the fronts of her thighs, one behind her knee and one on her shoulder). They are red and look like large pimples starting up again and very itchy but the itchy comes and goes. She is terrified of a skin biopsy and I'm not sure I'd be able to get her to the appt if she knew that was happening.

I'm not sure if you will be able to tell from this picture. They are more red in real life. Could this be DH? I really don't want to subject her to the biopsy. If we are gluten free anyway, is it worth it to find out? Right now we are just putting her eczema steriod cream on them which is helping with the itching.

http://images1f.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ff...6%3A93338nu0mrj

She has low normal IgA and elevated Anti Gladian IgG and has not been diagnosed with Celiac. However, she can tell that she needs to stay away from gluten for her skin and her behavior and anger issues so she will probably never go back to gluten.

Thanks for looking and letting me know your thoughts.

Susan

Ads by Google:

What is she eating this week?

Regardless, I would simplify, eat at home, fresh, safest food, no dairy, no cold drinks, caffeine.

I would not go to restaurants. Keep this from going crazy. If she has mood issues, why chance it?

What is she eating this week?

Regardless, I would simplify, eat at home, fresh, safest food, no dairy, no cold drinks, caffeine.

I would not go to restaurants. Keep this from going crazy. If she has mood issues, why chance it?

The only thing different I can think of is she did have a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos but her sister is a gluten detector and she didn't get sick from them. But I normally do not let them eat chips that are flavored like that. Otherwise, I can't seem to think of anything else, unless there was something I missed in her halloween candy.

What about the cold drinks and dairy? Do those make it worse?

Thanks for your help!

Susan

Lots of info on dairy and DH. It seems to aggravate it. Sugar might aggravate it too.

Look at the chemicals in Doritos, cheetos, coke, pepsi and other store bought foods. Who knows that that junk is.

I would find some healthier snacks, make them, or go to healthfood store.

Lots of info on dairy and DH. It seems to aggravate it. Sugar might aggravate it too.

Look at the chemicals in Doritos, cheetos, coke, pepsi and other store bought foods. Who knows that that junk is.

I would find some healthier snacks, make them, or go to healthfood store.

Well, in that regard, there has been a lot more junk lately with birthday's, halloween, etc. We will cut back for sure now

I would say dairy and also perhaps yeast control.

I have used Grapefruit Seed Extract to help with my daughters eczema. I put drops into a capsule and by second day it is gone. I would suggest you consider the amount of refined products you are eating. Still can be out of balance with healthy foods even if it is gluten free.

I don't know for sure, but my son had something VERY similar... I wanted a skin biopsy, but doc refused...

IMG_1283.jpg

At first, I thought it was hives, but they just looked like pimples so... And it was after he'd been gluten-free for a few days, then had some more gluten. It happened again about 2 weeks ago, after he'd been gluten-free for a week and g'ma gave him chicken nuggets.

I don't know for sure, but my son had something VERY similar... I wanted a skin biopsy, but doc refused...

IMG_1283.jpg

At first, I thought it was hives, but they just looked like pimples so... And it was after he'd been gluten-free for a few days, then had some more gluten. It happened again about 2 weeks ago, after he'd been gluten-free for a week and g'ma gave him chicken nuggets.

That does look very smiliar! Does it itch? My dd's woke her up this morning it itched so bad. I just wish I could track it back to some gluten exposure. I hope g-ma will be more careful now! Have you had him tested for celiac? Why is the doc refusing a biopsy? He thinks it's unrelated?

Well, he has Autism, and he generally doesn't tell me if something hurts or itches. He itched at it, which, I've seen this child COVERED head to toe in hives and not have a care in the world. He was just mad b/c we took the offending food away from him... This is different. I initally thought it was hives, then I thought it was chicken pox, but I took him to the ped and she didn't know what it was, but it wasn't anything she'd seen before. But, she didn't think it was contagious, so I could send him to school. I didn't connect the dots til g'ma gave him the chicken nuggets - the only reason he hadn't had gluten was b/c I don't cook anything gluten related anymore b/c it makes me sick. So, when it happened that 2nd time, I called the ped and asked for a referral to a dermatolagist (I wasn't taking him to her offic, too many sick people, lol), and explained that I thought it might be DH. She called back (well, the nurse did), and said that she'd rather run the Celiac bloodwork panel. I said No, because I felt this made it obvious he has a problem with gluten. She agreed, and there's no way I'll put him back on gluten for the test. Not when his stomach issues are essentially gone, and he's much clearer in his speaking, etc. His behavior has improved dramatically as well (except for his being sick). So, no, he hasn't been tested. We're operating on the assumption that both he and I have Celiac, or at the very least a gluten sensitivity/allergy/intolerance. I don't understand why she wouldn't go for the biopsy... I thought that was a definite diagnosis. It would have been much easier if I could have spoken face to face with her. It took me months to get an agreement to do a stool sample test for him (for constant diarrhea). Now his stools are normal and its pointless. At least she agrees and understands that he has a gluten problem!

How long did it take you child's skin issue to clear from the diet?

OMG, this is exactly what my skin use to look like before I went gluten free. I had forgotten how it looked! Thanks for the memories.

amberlynn, have you asked here if there is a good celiac doctor in your area. Just post a message with the topic as "Your town/area, celiac doctor needed".

No, I haven't yet! Thank you, I will.

His skin is almost cleared up. It's been probably, what, 2 weeks now? Something like that... You can still see the marks from the red bumps/pimples, whatever you want to call them, but they don't appear to bother him. Though, nothing usually does! His pain threshold has got to be amazingly high... lol.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Sounds and looks just what my now 10 year old daughter just had for weeks ALL over her expect for parts of her torso. The little girl itched SO SO SO bad she broke her skin all over and had to take a zpack to prevent infection. I could cry when I think about how itchy she was. She was so miserable. The doctors (ped and allergist) don't really know what it was but I do: DH........About this time I started (also gluten-free) started getting sick again too. We "think" that we had branched out eating too many new foods. Like chips and Fritos and things we never ate when we even ate gluten. I was just trying to branch out to try new things that I heard others eat because honestly we were getting sick of rice this and rice that and more rice with that.

Anyhow, what I did for her itching (benadryl did not help, she was beyond that point) was corn starch. After her bath and constantly throughout the day I would take her to stand in the shower and rub it in her skin over and over. We also would alternate with CeraVe lotion (we got it at CVS) and it helped a little. She is still using that twice a day.

We also are having the kids use my parents own well water (treated) for baths because our city water is full of chlorine and that makes her worse.

So, in summary, I think it's highly likely it is DH and I hope your little one feels better soon! The itching is insane!!!