17 replies to this topic

#1 digmom1014

digmom1014

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

The product makes a smaller cake than a regular box of Betty Crocker. Instead of spending the extra money to buy a second one, does anyone have any mix-ins they use to stretch the mixture to a larger pan.

I used to use the cake mix doctors book with plain cakes to jazz them up.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

This wouldn't make it any larger, but it would make a good pineapple upside-down cake.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 DILIROTH

DILIROTH

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

I folded egg whites in to make it a little fluffier and also added a little extra baking powder. Then I sliced into two sections and made a cream filling to put in between and on top with some fresh fruit. It was much tastier than the first one I made with regular icing. I might try that pineapple upside down cake idea next that would also be fun for the Holidays.

#4 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

I have never made one but how about a dump cake (I think that is what you call it)???
Maybe someone has a recipe. I have seen it on here before.
(This is not an "add-in" but an "add-on") How about this cake I used to make:

Refrigerator Cake

1 yellow cake mix (for a 2 layer size cake)
1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained, reserve juice
1 12 oz. cool whip
1/2 cup coconut
1 8 oz. sour cream
1 large pkg. instant vanilla pudding
milk

Bake cake in a 9x13" greased pan. Cool. Mix pudding with reserved pineapple juice and enough milk to make 2 cups. Spread onto cake. Sprinkle pineapple on top. Mix cool whip and sour cream together and frost cake with it. Sprinkle coconut on top. Keep in fridge.

Be sure to add/divide recipe according to your cake mix size.
I should have made this for my dd's birthday, I forgot all about it! :blink:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#5 Shantiangel

Shantiangel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

That cake sound delicious! Here's one of the many versions of
DUMP CAKE
1- 4oz can Crushed Pineapple
1- 21oz can Cherry Pie Filling
1- box Yellow Cake Mix
1- stick of Melted Butter, to drizzle on top
Crushed Nuts

Dump ingredients in order listed into a 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until Bubbly and Golden Brown.
Even yummier when served with a great big ol'scoop of ice cream on it !

I have never made one but how about a dump cake (I think that is what you call it)???

Refrigerator Cake

1 12 oz. cool whip
1/2 cup coconut
1 8 oz. sour cream
milk

Bake cake in a 9x13" greased pan. Cool. Mix pudding with reserved pineapple juice and enough milk to make 2 cups. Spread onto cake. Sprinkle pineapple on top. Mix cool whip and sour cream together and frost cake with it. Sprinkle coconut on top. Keep in fridge.

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

OK . . . I have not tried this at all gluten free . . . but it may be worth investigating.

Many many moons ago, I took a cake decorating class. The instructor suggested adding a package of Dream Whip to the mix to make if fluffier and add volume. When you do that however, you remove the oil (butter) and add extra eggs.

This was the recipe for the GLUTEN version:

1 (18 ounce) package cake mix, any flavor
1 (1 1/3 ounce) envelope dream whip whipped dessert topping mix
4 eggs
1 cup cold water

Quite frankly, I didn't like the "Dream Whip" cake as I thought it came out fluffier but drier (very real chance I could have over cooked this - I only did it once). I would be concerned about not having the fat (is it oil or butter?) added to the Betty Crocker mix. Would it cause it to be too dry or crumbly? If you added some (half?) of the oil/butter, would it ruin the fluffifying (<-- new word :P ) effect of the Dream Whip?

But there it is . . . I may experiment with this. Even if I dry it out, my kids will eat anything with enough icing on it so it won't go to waste . . . :lol:
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

That cake sound delicious! Here's one of the many versions of
DUMP CAKE
1- 4oz can Crushed Pineapple
1- 21oz can Cherry Pie Filling
1- box Yellow Cake Mix
1- stick of Melted Butter, to drizzle on top
Crushed Nuts

Dump ingredients in order listed into a 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until Bubbly and Golden Brown.
Even yummier when served with a great big ol'scoop of ice cream on it !

That was a fast reply...sounds great and EASY (and healthier than the one I posted)! For clarification, is the recipe for a 1 or 2 layer cake mix? Thanks!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#8 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

The original dump cake recipes call for a standard box of cake mix, but since the results is just basically to turn the cake mix, butter, and nuts into a kind of crumb topping, the amount probably isn't crucial. You could reduce the amount of fruit filling you use to account for the (probably) smaller amount of cake mix in the gluten-free version. It will still make you drool.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#9 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

The original dump cake recipes call for a standard box of cake mix, but since the results is just basically to turn the cake mix, butter, and nuts into a kind of crumb topping, the amount probably isn't crucial. You could reduce the amount of fruit filling you use to account for the (probably) smaller amount of cake mix in the gluten-free version. It will still make you drool.

Thanks for clearing that up...I googled dump cake and it looks like a double layer gets 2 cans of filling and a single (gluten-free) gets 1 can. There are lots of recipes and easy to convert to gluten-free! I want to try chocolate...my fave!

#10 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

You could google jello cake or jello poke cake...some recipes would be easy to divide in 1/2, using the gluten-free cake mix. Lots of them using strawberry jello and fresh strawberries (if you can find them).

Another thought is to frost your cake, top and sides with a thick layer of ice cream. If desired spread ice cream topping between the cake and the ice cream. Store in the freezer of course.

#11 clogger69

clogger69

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:40 AM

I can't believe seeing this topic this morning, the very thing I was also wondering about. I have used the yellow cake mix for a jello and a pineapple upside down cake. I liked both. I am making my grandson his favorite cake for Thanksgiving. You use a German chocolate cake mix, bake according to box. When done take out of oven and immediately, with a handle of wooden spoon, punch holes like a peg board in cake. Then pour a 12 oz jar of smucker's caramel topping, and one 14 oz can eagle brand sweeten condensed milk over cake. Put in fridge to cool or overnight. Then put 2 or 3 chopped up heath bars over top of cake and cool whip. I checked ingredients and all but the cake seemed gluten-free.

I bought a box of Baker's German sweet chocolate bar yesterday. There is a cake recipe on back that calls for 2 cups flour and lots of other things! It would be much easier if I could use the yellow cake mix but have no idea how to do this. I love this cake to :(

#12 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:49 AM

Great idea's-thanks.

To clogger-maybe try subbing the chocolate cake mix-Betty Crocker or the Pamela's.
It won't be as rich as the German chocolate but with all the other yummy's going on, I know I wouldn't notice!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#13 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Refrigerator Cake

1 12 oz. cool whip
1/2 cup coconut
1 8 oz. sour cream
milk

I love this cake! My mom makes it for us and it's soooooo good. Especially because it's cold. Greaton a hot day!

#14 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

lpellegr -- What kind of bread is that in your picture and do you have the recipe? Can it be made in a bread maker? It looks great!

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

I made my Grandma's recipe for Cherry Jazz before they came out with Betty Crocker. I think I used Namaste Yellow cake and it's a double layer. I used a layer of cherry pie filling (2 or 3 cans). Then I sprinkled on the cake mix and drizzled with a cup of melted coconut oil because of a dairy allergy. Otherwise you could use butter or margarine. Mix lightly to get all of the cake mix moistened. Bake at 350 for about a half an hour or until lightly browned.

To me it tasted just like what my grandma used to make. Daughter didn't like it because of the cherries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: