This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This A Glutening?

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

I've been gluten free for about a month, and still don't feel right yet. Therefore, I'm not really sure what is a glutening and what isn't for me yet. Last night I ate a chili at wendy's, plain no cheese or onions, and a plain baked potato, and a coke. This morning, I am absolutely NAUSEOUS. I should explain that before I was diagnosed, I was nauseous all the time and I just assumed it was one of the many meds I was on. However, I haven't been on those meds since diagnosis, and I haven't been nauseous like that in a while. This is the kind of nausea I would have when pregnant, and I actually gag while going about my business, and feel like I need to EAT something or I will throw up. This was the first time I have been out to eat anywhere in a long time now. I just didn't feel like cooking. Another thing is I have gained 2 pounds for no reason. The only other things I ate yesterday were a small bowl of cereal with rice milk, a rice cake with a tablespoon of almond butter and some jam, and a bowl of homemade chicken soup. I dont think that should cause me to gain 2 pounds.

The problem is, I am just not feeling much better at all yet on this diet! I have days where I feel okay, and then days where I am bloated again, and gain weight again for no reason, I have had so many many headaches since starting gluten free that I can't even count them. I've got 4 or 5 small itchy bumps on my arms, they are like little bumps that pop up, itch to death, I scratch them and they scab over and stop itching, I've never had these before. I am also feeling totally depressed now! I dont even want to get out of bed the last several days. My bowels still aren't working right. Is this EVER going to change?? It seems so hopeless!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frustrated09 Newbie

It's not completely hopeless. You just gotta figure it out. Chili and coke i would not trust. If you have skin issues, have you changed out shampoo, deoderant, lotions, toothpaste. Dove and Neutrogena products are safe. Some people don't have issues with these things but some do (and I'm one of them). check your vitamins or anything else you take.

Days when you're good and days when you're not.....figure out what you do different those days, write it down, try an elimination diet. start with 2-3 foods that you know are ok and then slowly add to figure out what the bad is. I just did it a couple days ago and I pretty much ruined it first thing in the morning but it got me thinking and by the time i got home from work i had severe bloating and it all came from soy.

when i gluten myself i don't wanna get outa bed either and the day is depressing with no energy. oh weight gain...gluten free products have a ton of carbs, also when the intestines are healing they absorb the nutrients completely. laying around probably won't help it either :)

Marsha

-self diagnosed gluten/dairy/soy intolerant

Wolicki Enthusiast

The first couple of months are hard. I promise it gets better. I've been gluten-free for 5 months and it's gotten MUCH better. Remember, it took a long time to mess up your intestines, and it will be ahwile There will be ups and downs, but soon, more ups than downs. It's frustrating I know! I thought "AHA they know what's wrong with me, now I will be all better!" Unfortunately, it takes a while for your body to heal and to relearn how to digest stuff.

Eat as clean as you can, check to make sure there's no gluten anywhere and you'll make steady process. WE're all here for you ;)

Frances03 Enthusiast

Thanks you guys. I just wanted to emphasize that I do not eat high carb gluten free products. In fact I haven't purchased a single "gluten-free" product like breads, cakes, cookies, etc. I normally eat either a smoothie with fruit and rice milk, or cereal and rice milk for breakfast, sometimes eggs, maybe once a week. For lunch I just snack on leftovers usually. For dinner I've been making taco salad, roasted chicken with veggies, stew, big salad.

Why would coke from Wendy's cause a problem? I know their chili is gluten free but it could easily have been cc'd.

I have not tried eliminating soy but I'm not sure if I've been eating it either.

Juliebove Rising Star

What brand of rice milk? Rice Dream contains gluten. As for Wendy's, that food could have easily been cross contaminated.

Frances03 Enthusiast

I have the Pacific plain rice milk. I found out about the Rice Dream after I bought a case at Costco. I returned it all after I drank some and didn't feel well. I wish Costcto would carry the Pacific brand!!

dhd2000 Newbie

I don't know why, but I can't tolerate coke anymore either, and neither can my sister, both diagnosed celiacs. I think maybe it's the high fructose corn syrup that's just too much for intestines that are still healing??? I also can't tolerate diet-coke, maybe the artificial sweetners? Hang in there, the healing isn't quick, but it does happen.

Thanks you guys. I just wanted to emphasize that I do not eat high carb gluten free products. In fact I haven't purchased a single "gluten-free" product like breads, cakes, cookies, etc. I normally eat either a smoothie with fruit and rice milk, or cereal and rice milk for breakfast, sometimes eggs, maybe once a week. For lunch I just snack on leftovers usually. For dinner I've been making taco salad, roasted chicken with veggies, stew, big salad.

Why would coke from Wendy's cause a problem? I know their chili is gluten free but it could easily have been cc'd.

I have not tried eliminating soy but I'm not sure if I've been eating it either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived