4 replies to this topic

#1 Evie4

Evie4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

This will be my first Thanksgiving where we will be making gluten free versions of traditional foods. I purchased the Gluten Free Panty pie crust mix. I know A LOT of you use or have used it. Any tricks or tips before I get started? I'm thinking of making a sweet potato/pumpkin pie and a fruit pie.

Evie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

After mixing the crust, I pat the bottom of the crust into the pie pan. Then I chill the crust for the top at least half an hour. I roll the top crust between plastic wrap. Flip it onto the pie and I do not worry if it's not perfect.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

Definitely use plastic wrap to roll out the dough.....the first time I made it, I made the mistake of flouring the counter as I always had with wheat flour and ended up using a spatula to get it off. :P

Also, it's a bit more crumbly after it's baked than what you may be used to but it's really good and worth the extra attention, in my opinion :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 judygs

judygs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

My daughter the expert pie baker did some gluten-free pie crusts from mixes -- Namaste, I think -- last year for Thanksgiving, whereas I used Whole Foods frozen pre-made crusts for the pumpkin pies I made. We all, including my daughter, agreed that the Whole Foods crust was every bit as good as the ones that she had made, maybe better, and they are a whole lot easier!

In fact, even the gluten-y people were totally happy with the Whole Foods gluten-free crusts. Of course, pumpkin pie depends on its crust a lot less than fruit pies, so maybe my pies had an advantage. But we're both using the frozen pie crusts this year.

#5 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

I use Roben Ryberg's traditional crust recipe from "the Gluten Free Kitchen." I just add cinnamon to the mix to help give it some taste. I've had great success with it. I use a Kitchenaide mixer and roll it out in between wax paper.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: