Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free Pizza Request Sent To Papa John's (and They Are Listening!)

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Papa John's & GF Pizza (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like Papa John's to offer gluten-free pizza?

1. Yes! Better ingredients, better pizza...for me!! (67 votes [90.54%])

Percentage of vote: 90.54%

2. No. I'm not really a pizza eater. (2 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

3. Maybe. If it was offered I might try it. (5 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

24 replies to this topic

#1 ncflusche

ncflusche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

Okay, so like most of you I miss pizza. Yes, I can make it at home with all the fixings and it tastes great (even my non-Celiac husband and friends love my pizza), but I miss lazy Friday nights of ordering that gooey; thick-crusted; golden-colored; topping loaded dish that is delivered right to my door with little to no hassle. It is greasy, but oh-so-good! Well, I decided to contact my local Papa John's and see what they could do about my dilemma.

I spent a few hours composing the perfect words (I admit I really appealed to their $$ side in order to catch anyone's attention). Within 24 hours I had two emails sitting in my inbox. The first was from Consumer Services; the second was from the Papa John's Area Supervisor for Fredericksburg and Stafford. Both were very positive in their response about forwarding my thoughts to their Research & Development Department. The Area Supervisor's email really made my day:

Mrs. Flusche,
My name is Jeff Bartlett and I am the Area Supervisor for Papa John's Pizza in Fredericksburg and Stafford. Your comments about the gluten free product were passed onto me from the weekend. I have since sent them onto our research and development department who look into these sort of suggestions. Hopefully they will take your suggestion under advisement and find that there is a large enough market for it. Sorry I could not be of more assistance to you in this matter. Hopefully we can be your pizza choice in the future.
Jeff Bartlett

So, for anyone and everyone who misses their Papa John's, go ahead and contact them. Perhaps if we show enough mouth-watering support they will show up at our doors with those fresh ingredients we long for.

Yours,
N. Flusche

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

I don't have a Papa John's so cannot answer your poll, but kicked your post up to the top so that it will be seen. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

We don't have Papa John's here in the Toronto area, but any move to provide a gluten-free option at a pizzeria (or other chain restaurant) is certainly something that I think most of us would support. A pizza chain in Ontario introduced a gluten-free option about a year ago on a trial basis. I have had it several times and found it to be fairly good. It is now available in all locations of Pizza Pizza. I still prefer the pizza we make at home with home- baked crusts, but if we are in a hurry, there is a fast option. Recently a second chain in the Toronto area has advertised gluten-free pizza--I haven't tried theirs.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ncflusche

ncflusche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Again, Mushroom & Peter, thank you for your help on this post/pinning.

Peter, I really envy you! The nearest order out pizza chain from us with a gluten-free crust is 2 hours. My husband takes me there every time we go to DC, but recently they have been carrying less and less of the gluten-free crust, so if you come too late in the day it is already gone.

We still make our own crust at home, but having that order in option is just a fun, lazy thing that everyone enjoys now and then.

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Definite YES!

Not for me...never felt good after eating pizza - always thought it was the sauce...kinda made sense to me after celiac dx - it was the crust bothering me all these years!

But my kids love pizza and I miss easy take out for them.

Thanks for contacting Papa Johns - I'll do the same.

I don't know about other places, but here in San Diego ordering gluten-free crust adds $3-$8 to each pizza and that pizzas-me-off :P

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

as a former dough tosser at a pizza joint my biggest worry would be contamination. There is flour flying round in the air, on everyone and everything..gluten disaster zone...they would have to have seperate everything from pans to toppings to the aprons the cooks use. For me its just not worth the risk.

not sure if this link will work, but here is the thread I have on facebook about my ventures with gluten free pizza. I miss tossing the dough into the air, but it pretty awesome pizza. I make my pizza without dairy, but here is one I made for our Pastor, he also has celiac.

stuffed crust gluten free pizza

Posted Image

I used Bob's gluten free pizza mix plus a few more supersecret things-

Tools-
Parchment paper -don't even attempt this without parchment paper, its only $2.84 at Wally World and theres a .75 coupon floating around out there.
2 medium wire wisk... Read More
plastic wrap
small & large glass or pyrex bowls
not completely required, but I'm ocd about details soooo...
- a pizza pan used only for starting crusts (heavy duty) & a pizza pan with holes covered with foil for a softer crust with a little crisp, or uncovered for a crispy one)
large cooling rack

Ingredients-
Crust-
Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza mix
McKormick garlic powder
McKormick italian spice mix
Salt (iodine free is what i use)
Great Value Olive oil
Unflavored gelatin -supersupersecret ingredient
2 eggs- beaten
1 1/2 cup very warm water

(energy waster) preheat oven to 425- not so green but I can live with it for a good pizza

-empty crust mix into the small bowl -set yeast packet aside
shake in 2-3 shakes each of garlic powder and italian spices (one of these days I promise to start measuring)
add a round 1/2 tsp salt or a shallow 3/4 tsp ;P
whisk carefully to get a bit of air in the mix and combine all the ingredients so they can get to know each other

-add 1 1/2 cups very warm water to large glass bowl, empty yeast packet (included in the mix) into the bown and stir carefully with a whisk - let sit for about 3 minutes

-whisk in one packet of unflavored gelatin until thoroughly dissolved- let sit for another 2-3 minutes
-whisk in beaten egg and 2 tbsp of olive oil
with a fork stir in crust mix from the small bowl- stir until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
cover your CLEAN hands with olive oil and shape the dough into one big glob, toss glob around in about 1-2 table spoons of olive oil until coated all over
-cut the glob O dough in half with a knofe coated in olive oil
wrap the bowl with plastic and place ON TOP of warm oven

wait 20 minutes for glob to rise

-cover heavy duty pan with parchment lightly greased with olive oil
-remove one glob (with oiled clean hands), slap it on the pan, and recover the bowl
-lightly grease another piece of parchment and place it over the glob O dough
carefully work the glob between the 2 sheets of parchment, my heavy duty pan has elevated sides so its easy to work out a 14" pizza. This takes time, try to keep it even with a little more at the edges all the way around.

-remove the top parchment and place several sticks of string cheese all the way around about 1/4-1/2" from the outer edge. You should end up with a 12" pie
-oil hands again and carefully turn dough over string cheese without ripping dough- *don't think or say bad words when it rips, just dab dough with paper towel and reseal
-seal edge with a fork (oiled of course)
-let sit for about 3-5 minutes- it will take you this long to wash oil off your hands anyway

bake for 9 minutes until bottom has started to brown
-Transfer parchment and pie to pizza pan with holes (*see note about about foil or no foil)

Toppings-
-Enrico's Pizza Sauce (found at Lowes Foods, worth EVERY penny) - spread as much as you like on the top of the pie
-I use a 2/1 mixture of great value mozzarella & monterey jack- *shred fresh at home for best melting
-a few shakes of shredded kraft parmesan
-any meat that will dry out first goes on first sooo...
-chopped Oscar Mayer canadian bacon will go on first
-ground beef browned with olive oil and italian spices is next
-Hormel Bacon bits or pieces (fresh cooked hormel bacon if you have the time)
--Hormel Pepperoni allllll over
a few shakes of shredded parmesan and a little bit more of the shredded cheese mixture is last

Slap it back into the oven until browned and bubbly all over- about 8-14 minutes

Let it cool about 5 minutes before you slice

you can warm more pizza sauce and/or clarified garlic butter for dipping

Bless your pizza and thank the Lord

enjoy a slice or 3 :)

run the next morning to make up for the rest of the pizza you're gonna eat for breakfast ;)

little side note- Papertown has pizza boxes & foil tubs super super cheap. I truly believe that it tastes better straight from a pizza box- and you can take it into Pizza Inn and feel normal while everyone else eats their pizza. I did check with the manager and he said "sure!"

just realised I probably should've put this in the recipes area, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your papa johns poll..how do I move it?

#7 Lynayah

Lynayah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

I must say that I agree with the CC issue. In my area there are some restaurants who brag about having gluten-free pizza, but when you talk to them you learn that they do not have a dedicated oven, and the wooden paddle they use to transfer the pizza in and out of the oven is the same as the one they use on the flour ones.

If Papa John's could become certified gluten-free, I'd love it, but I am clueless as to how they could do it as their stores now stand.

I hope I am wrong. Someone please show me where I'm wrong! : ) I'd love to have a gluten-free Papa!
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

Your pizza looks very good! Maybe this could be your new venture--- a gluten-free pizza shoppe! And if you found a way to hand toss you could make big bucks.......
Thanks for sharing...

mamaw

#9 savvvyseller

savvvyseller

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

As someone who can eat wheat (my 9-y-o son is a celiac), I can say that Papa John's pizza is awful. I know that Pizza Pizza in Canada has gluten-free pizza chainwide, so the idea of serving and delivery safe gluten-free pizza can be done. Will be interesting to see if one of the nationwide pizza chains in the U.S. - none of which compare to local pizza parlors, IMHO - can pull this off.

#10 ncflusche

ncflusche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

I am thrilled that so many have responded so far and are adding very valid concerns and suggestions. Any restaurant that considers taking a step towards gluten-free (whether that is offering gluten-free options on their menu or going completely gluten-free) is showing that they care about their consumers and the general health of everyone--Celiac or not. I would ask no less of Papa John's--or any restaurant--to thoroughly research what gluten-free means, what food is acceptable vs. not, issues concerning cross-contamination, etc.

On a side note: I am totally salivating over tiredofbeingsickandtired's stuffed crust pizza! That looks super yummy & we are already planning to make it. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe & your expert knowledge about dough tossing/cross-contamination.

#11 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

as a former dough tosser at a pizza joint my biggest worry would be contamination. There is flour flying round in the air, on everyone and everything..gluten disaster zone...they would have to have seperate everything from pans to toppings to the aprons the cooks use. For me its just not worth the risk.

not sure if this link will work, but here is the thread I have on facebook about my ventures with gluten free pizza. I miss tossing the dough into the air, but it pretty awesome pizza. I make my pizza without dairy, but here is one I made for our Pastor, he also has celiac.

stuffed crust gluten free pizza

Posted Image

I used Bob's gluten free pizza mix plus a few more supersecret things-

Tools-
Parchment paper -don't even attempt this without parchment paper, its only $2.84 at Wally World and theres a .75 coupon floating around out there.
2 medium wire wisk... Read More
plastic wrap
small & large glass or pyrex bowls
not completely required, but I'm ocd about details soooo...
- a pizza pan used only for starting crusts (heavy duty) & a pizza pan with holes covered with foil for a softer crust with a little crisp, or uncovered for a crispy one)
large cooling rack

Ingredients-
Crust-
Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza mix
McKormick garlic powder
McKormick italian spice mix
Salt (iodine free is what i use)
Great Value Olive oil
Unflavored gelatin -supersupersecret ingredient
2 eggs- beaten
1 1/2 cup very warm water

(energy waster) preheat oven to 425- not so green but I can live with it for a good pizza

-empty crust mix into the small bowl -set yeast packet aside
shake in 2-3 shakes each of garlic powder and italian spices (one of these days I promise to start measuring)
add a round 1/2 tsp salt or a shallow 3/4 tsp ;P
whisk carefully to get a bit of air in the mix and combine all the ingredients so they can get to know each other

-add 1 1/2 cups very warm water to large glass bowl, empty yeast packet (included in the mix) into the bown and stir carefully with a whisk - let sit for about 3 minutes

-whisk in one packet of unflavored gelatin until thoroughly dissolved- let sit for another 2-3 minutes
-whisk in beaten egg and 2 tbsp of olive oil
with a fork stir in crust mix from the small bowl- stir until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
cover your CLEAN hands with olive oil and shape the dough into one big glob, toss glob around in about 1-2 table spoons of olive oil until coated all over
-cut the glob O dough in half with a knofe coated in olive oil
wrap the bowl with plastic and place ON TOP of warm oven

wait 20 minutes for glob to rise

-cover heavy duty pan with parchment lightly greased with olive oil
-remove one glob (with oiled clean hands), slap it on the pan, and recover the bowl
-lightly grease another piece of parchment and place it over the glob O dough
carefully work the glob between the 2 sheets of parchment, my heavy duty pan has elevated sides so its easy to work out a 14" pizza. This takes time, try to keep it even with a little more at the edges all the way around.

-remove the top parchment and place several sticks of string cheese all the way around about 1/4-1/2" from the outer edge. You should end up with a 12" pie
-oil hands again and carefully turn dough over string cheese without ripping dough- *don't think or say bad words when it rips, just dab dough with paper towel and reseal
-seal edge with a fork (oiled of course)
-let sit for about 3-5 minutes- it will take you this long to wash oil off your hands anyway

bake for 9 minutes until bottom has started to brown
-Transfer parchment and pie to pizza pan with holes (*see note about about foil or no foil)

Toppings-
-Enrico's Pizza Sauce (found at Lowes Foods, worth EVERY penny) - spread as much as you like on the top of the pie
-I use a 2/1 mixture of great value mozzarella & monterey jack- *shred fresh at home for best melting
-a few shakes of shredded kraft parmesan
-any meat that will dry out first goes on first sooo...
-chopped Oscar Mayer canadian bacon will go on first
-ground beef browned with olive oil and italian spices is next
-Hormel Bacon bits or pieces (fresh cooked hormel bacon if you have the time)
--Hormel Pepperoni allllll over
a few shakes of shredded parmesan and a little bit more of the shredded cheese mixture is last

Slap it back into the oven until browned and bubbly all over- about 8-14 minutes

Let it cool about 5 minutes before you slice

you can warm more pizza sauce and/or clarified garlic butter for dipping

Bless your pizza and thank the Lord

enjoy a slice or 3 :)

run the next morning to make up for the rest of the pizza you're gonna eat for breakfast ;)

little side note- Papertown has pizza boxes & foil tubs super super cheap. I truly believe that it tastes better straight from a pizza box- and you can take it into Pizza Inn and feel normal while everyone else eats their pizza. I did check with the manager and he said "sure!"

just realised I probably should've put this in the recipes area, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your papa johns poll..how do I move it?

This does sound awesome! I can't wait to try it, too!

On a side note but still applicable, I drove by our local pizza joint, and they had a sign hanging outside their front door: Whole Wheat Pizza Gluten Free. I'm hoping it means that they have both, not that they think whole wheat pizza is gluten free!! :o
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#12 tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thanks guys, hope you enjoy...but accck I swear I ran a spell check, sorry about all the spelling errors.

#13 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:21 AM

Thanks what a great idea, when I went gluten-free two years ago-I missed pizza in the worst way! Could you post your letter so other's can also request gluten-free at their local shops? I'm not saying plagerize but, I am not the most prolific letter writer and your letter seems to have gotten a response!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#14 ncflusche

ncflusche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Sarah,
I would be happy to post my letter. I have been furiously looking for it the last couple of hours, but my computer has either filed it into some abyss or deleted it. I will ask my darling husband if he can resurrect a copy from our backup server. If all else fails I will re-write as much as I can remember for you.
Yours,
N. Flusche

#15 ncflusche

ncflusche

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

We recovered as much as we could, but I had to rewrite about half of it. (I'm terribly sorry for my computer's bad behavior). I submitted my letter through Papa John's customer feedback form (http://papajohns.com...rm.shtm?agree=0). I acutally recommend going this route rather than mailing a letter to corporate because Papa John's "official policy" is that they do not accept unsolicited ideas from outside parties. However, by using the comment form you can get your idea funneled to your local store, and if an employee, franchise owner, or supply partner picks it up and thinks it is wonderful, they can submit it to corporate on your behalf (wink, wink). So, this is how I filled my form. Personal information in the top portion, put my local Papa John's info for the store, and then answered the rest of the questions like so:

ARE YOU A CUSTOMER OR AN EMPLOYEE? (•) Customer
WHAT KIND OF COMMENT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEND? Suggestion
WHAT ABOUT US WOULD YOU LIKE TO COMMENT ON? Other/Praise
SUBCATEGORY: Product Suggestion
IS THERE AN EXISTING ISSUE? (•) No

The Letter (I put this in the comment box):

I have recently seen your TV advertisements for delicious, mouth-watering pizza and am aching to order a hot, golden pan delivered to my door. Unfortunately, I am one of the many thousands of individuals suffering from Celiac disease—an allergy to wheat, rye, barley and oats. Many restaurants are making huge strides in creating gluten-free foods, including pizza, pasta and breads. Offering a gluten-free pizza for your customers is something truly innovative in the delivery industry, and would clearly put your business ahead of others when I consider what I take-out I order for my family. Know also that when offering a truly gluten-free pizza you will be making many thousands of life-long, grateful customers who are not shy about doling out the money or the generous tips in order to secure their health needs. Gluten-free options are also healthier, not just for Celiacs, but also for the general populace. Having a gluten-free option shows you care for your patrons and their health! Knowing that you already cater to your customers by bringing them better ingredients, I would greatly appreciate you considering offering a gluten-free option too. I do so crave one of your scrumptious looking creations. I guarantee I will be the first in line the moment you offer gluten-free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: