This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Allergy Or Gluten Intolerance?

passionfruit877

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Hi!

I've been on a gluten free diet for about 2 months now. This diet has been great for me! Most of my bloating is gone, that icky feeling of constant fullness is gone, and my constipation is gone (sorry about that one, but it has been one of my biggest problems). I was treated for constipation for 2 years before the diet, and nothing worked. I was told I just had IBS. Up until now I was convinced I was gluten intolerant (my doctor knows I'm on the diet, he asked about a family history of Celiac).

However, I was curious how soon after being "glutened" a gluten intolerant person gets symptoms?

I have noticed several times now I was glutened, mostly at restaurants, and my reactions are fairly immediate. For example, we went to Red Lobster and half way through eating my rice I noticed little pieces of pasta in it. Before even leaving the restaurant the tips of my fingers on my left hand went numb, and I felt a tightness in my chest, not like I couldn't breathe, but like there was resistance to my breathing. I usually have the chest tightness combined with bloating when I get glutened (it has happened a few times) and it happens maybe 10 minutes after eating (the numbness only happened once).

I thought this was normal, but does anyone else get this, or am I having an allergic reaction? I just happened to be reading a website that said gluten usually creates problems 1 to 2 days later. I don't know what to do now that I think it might be an allergy, is it dangerous?

I was so sure that I was gluten intolerant (and maybe even had Celiac, I'm 22 and 4'11'' and 95 pounds with bad sinus allergies.)

I am going to talk to my doctor again, but i was just wondering from people who probably know the most about it. What does it sound like to you? And can a test tell the difference? Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast

Gluten hits me very quickly, less than an hour to up to two hours.

jerseyangel Proficient

It's different for everyone--gluten hits me after a few hours.

Your symptoms could be the result of an allergy. An allergist can do skin testing--it's also possible to be both intolerant and allergic. With your breathing and chest symptoms, I think it's a good idea to have it checked out.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I have wondered if I have an allergy to wheat as well as gluten-intolorance. My nose runs when I'm "hit," and it happens right away. The GI problems hit shortly thereafter.

It's interesting . . . for YEARS I thought I had weird sinus problems as well as an allergy to mold. I ALWAYS had at least two full-blown sinus infections per year (horrible, HORRIBLE infections, and goodness knows to what extent the antibiotics messed with my GI system).

So far, since giving up gluten, my sinus passages have cleared. It was one of the first things I noticed after going gluten-free. I remember lying in bed, turning to my husband and saying, "I can BREATHE!" It has been such a blessing not to have a box of tissue in every room any more. My nose isn't a faucet now; it's a nose!

I can't wait to see if I can get through the rest of the year without a sinus infection. Dare I say it? . . . So far, so good! : )

So, bottom line: Your question about allergy is a good one. I am looking forward to seeing what others might post here. Thank you for this topic.

jststric Contributor

I think I'm simply intolerant but of many things, not just wheat/glutens. It usually takes me a day and a half to two days to start feeling symptoms. Sinuses is one of many and I can have some symptoms for as long as a week or so.

Thank you all for the quick responses! I'm glad I brought up a topic that may be helpful to others!

Lynayah,

I have had severe sinus allergies my whole life as well. I used to get sinus infections and had to take Claritin year-round, although as I've gotten older they have improved. I'm interested to see if they keep getting better on this gluten free diet. I am also very sensitive to perfumes, as well as strong soaps ( once I used my husbands AXE body wash and when I got out of the shower my stomach and upper legs were covered in giant welts!).

My point is I already have allergies, so it is not so unusual to think that I may be allergic to wheat. I see that some people have quick responses after being glutened, does anyone have the chest tightness I described, followed by the upper stomach bloating and pain? Oh, and once I got a feeling like my throat was sore, and it felt like I had this bubble I couldn't swallow.

It just seems like the chest tightness could be an allergic response. I'm going to talk to my doctor. I think I may be lactose intolerant as well ( milk gives me a gurgly stomach). Is the skin prick test the only allergy test? I would be interested to know what other foods get to me (I still get mildly bloated after some meals). Thanks!

ciavyn Contributor
Thank you all for the quick responses! I'm glad I brought up a topic that may be helpful to others!

Lynayah,

I have had severe sinus allergies my whole life as well. I used to get sinus infections and had to take Claritin year-round, although as I've gotten older they have improved. I'm interested to see if they keep getting better on this gluten free diet. I am also very sensitive to perfumes, as well as strong soaps ( once I used my husbands AXE body wash and when I got out of the shower my stomach and upper legs were covered in giant welts!).

My point is I already have allergies, so it is not so unusual to think that I may be allergic to wheat. I see that some people have quick responses after being glutened, does anyone have the chest tightness I described, followed by the upper stomach bloating and pain? Oh, and once I got a feeling like my throat was sore, and it felt like I had this bubble I couldn't swallow.

It just seems like the chest tightness could be an allergic response. I'm going to talk to my doctor. I think I may be lactose intolerant as well ( milk gives me a gurgly stomach). Is the skin prick test the only allergy test? I would be interested to know what other foods get to me (I still get mildly bloated after some meals). Thanks!

Wow - passionfruit - I get the same reaction when I have "too much bread." I just recently approached the gluten-free option after some serious embarrassment and I am tired of feeling "ick." But when I eat a lot of grains, especially pizza or bread, I get this really sick feeling in my stomach, and the feeling of a bubble in my throat that I can't swallow - that is exactly how I would describe it. I thought it was just me. =) It feels terrible, and takes several hours and some severe diarrhea to get rid of it. Weird yet cool to find out I'm not crazy, and that other people have similar reactions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Update:

I saw my doctor yesterday. He told me I was not having an allergic reaction, and that it would have been discovered at a younger age. He pretty much said I couldn't have been eating wheat my whole life and been able to tolerate it. So that clears that up.

He also said he doesn't think I have Celiac because of my symptoms.

He said he's pretty sure I have IBS because of my age and because of the GI symptoms I am having. He said my recent intolerance to gluten has probably been somewhat present my whole life, but has been amplified by the IBS, and he predicted that most of my symptoms should go away after a few years.

What he said makes sense. Now that I am off gluten I am doing well, and my reactions to it usually happen within 15 minutes and go away a few hours later. Hopefully he is right and they will go away on their own.

Archived