This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Book On Gulten

11111 Apprentice

I would like to get a book at the library on celiac disease. My husband doesn't understand how serious this is. Need the book to be short and right to the point about the disease he could has.

Thanks = Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Nancy-

Here are some books, not short per se, but good. Perhaps your hubby can read a chapter or two... All of these can be ordered, or are on amazon .com

One of the best is: Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Living by Danna Korn . Another: Gluten-Free for a Healthy Life: Nutritional Advice and Recipes for Those Suffering from Celiac Disease and Other Gluten-Related Disorders by Kimberly A. Tessmer.

There are also a myriad of cookbooks on amazon for gluten-free too.

Good luck!

Merika Contributor

I liked the "personal stories on celiac". Not very medical. Lots of short anecdotal stories from celiacs of all ages. My dh found it very helpful to understand celiac, though he already understood the technical side of it. (i'm the one with it.)

Merika

debberdee Newbie

I just received The Gluten-Free Bible by Jax Peters Lowell from my daughter as a gift for my birthday. Love it!!!! My brother and sis-in-law were visiting and couldn't keep their hands off! I believe this is a new book that just came out this year. Jax Peters Lowell has also written a couple of other books for gluten-free living.

tarnalberry Community Regular

debberdee,

you'll want to be aware that Lowell apparently has some non-trivial misinformation in the book. some of the things she said are not gluten-free are, and it's NOT safe to pick the insides out of a regular sandwhich and eat them - you'll get contaminated.

debberdee Newbie

Thank you Tiffany! I just went to another posting area where celiac3270 talked about the book and Oh my gosh, I feel terrible for suggesting this book. I loved the way Jax wrote and even though I had read the things that you and celiac3270 both mentioned, I chose to disregard them and enjoy the rest of the book. I never thought about the fact that this could hurt someone who hasn't read everything about celiac disease the way I have(my brain hurts from so much reading and study). I am still new to all this as well! I guess I should not post my helpful hints until I KNOW everything about everything! That will be never!!! <_< Anyway, I am truly sorry for not thinking ahead like so many of you do!

celiac3270 Collaborator

It's fine ;) ...I would definitely recommend Wheat Free Worry Free (by Danna Korn)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

debberdee, no worries. I would even go so far as to make the argument that if you did find something useful/helpful out of it, then it's a good thing you got it. :-)

• 2 months later...
swittenauer Enthusiast

I'm so overwhelmed by what book to get also. There are so many & so much contradictory information. I really want a list of regular foods for my husband to eat. Do I have to contact individual companies or individual websites or is there a complete or somewhat complete list of actual store bought foods that he can eat? He was just diagnosed a few days ago & the internet is just plain overwhelming with all of the info out there. I found a magazine called Gluten Free Living. Does anyone know anything about that magazine?

swittenauer Enthusiast

I'm so overwhelmed by what book to get also. There are so many & so much contradictory information. I really want a list of regular foods for my husband to eat. Do I have to contact individual companies or individual websites or is there a complete or somewhat complete list of actual store bought foods that he can eat? He was just diagnosed a few days ago & the internet is just plain overwhelming with all of the info out there. I found a magazine called Gluten Free Living. Does anyone know anything about that magazine?

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast

Celiac Sprue Association puts out a Product listing book with foods of all types included and lists pharmacies and all kinds of things that help you select gluten-free foods and products. You have to buy it, but I use it all the time.

artmeg55 Newbie

I agree that "The Gluten Free Bible" is worth every penny. It's an indispensable reference for gluten-free living. The magazine "Living Without" is good, but the book is a handy, concise guide that covers just about everything. :)

jenvan Collaborator

swittenauer-

I definitely recommend 'wheat free, worry free' by dana korn, rather than the 'gluten free bible' by jax. There is a thread on this site where many of discussed the 'glutenfree bible' and most of us agreed that it has misleading information in it. danna's book is extensive and reliable.

I do get 'living without' and love the magazine. 'gluten free living' is good too. i pick that one up at my local organic grocery store.

Its great your husband has you for support!

happygirl Collaborator

Something that was helpful to me was going through lots of old posts-especially ones about foods that are safe/aren't safe. It saved me a lot of time and I learned a lot in one place! Then, I could go to the internet, books, etc. from there. Some of the best information I have received has been on this board-much more trustworthy and knowledgable than the doctors I know. It is overwhelming, but once you "get it", I promise it will get easier. And until then, there are MANY people here who would be happy to answer your questions.

• 3 weeks later...
Nevadan Contributor

Another book I found quite helpful is "Dangerous Grain" by Braly and Hoggan. I think it does a better job than most in trying explain the relationship between celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. I happen to appear to have the latter. Anyway the book has a credible hypothesis of why gluten is bad news plus some good exposure to "related illnesses".

I also liked the "Wheat Free, Worry Free" by Korn, particularly for newbies like me.

George

Archived