This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Questions

frustrated09

frustrated09 Newbie

First week in 6 months that I have felt normal every day. Awesome! I am self diagnosed gluten, dairy and soy intolerant.

What do Soy free people eat? I need some variety.... My day consists of apple, bananas, 'hormel' deli ham (whole package in a day), celery with pb, granola by 'bakery on main', protein shake with coconut milk, and dinners i haven't figured out yet at least to enjoy them.

From what I have read, the yolk in eggs has soy stuff? are egg whites ok?

I found the organic ghee butter....it's hard as a rock, can it stay on the counter? is it good for baking? is there another option? is generic shortning safe?

I heard once that there might be soy stuff in chicken? Is this true? are all meats safe and is organic/natural better then grocery store items?

I've been craving carbs, is there a good pre-made bread available or is there a super simple recipe that tastes decent?

thank you for your help

Marsha

-self diagnosed gluten/dairy/soy intolerant

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
First week in 6 months that I have felt normal every day. Awesome! I am self diagnosed gluten, dairy and soy intolerant.

What do Soy free people eat? I need some variety.... My day consists of apple, bananas, 'hormel' deli ham (whole package in a day), celery with pb, granola by 'bakery on main', protein shake with coconut milk, and dinners i haven't figured out yet at least to enjoy them.

From what I have read, the yolk in eggs has soy stuff? are egg whites ok?

I found the organic ghee butter....it's hard as a rock, can it stay on the counter? is it good for baking? is there another option? is generic shortning safe?

I heard once that there might be soy stuff in chicken? Is this true? are all meats safe and is organic/natural better then grocery store items?

I've been craving carbs, is there a good pre-made bread available or is there a super simple recipe that tastes decent?

thank you for your help

Marsha

-self diagnosed gluten/dairy/soy intolerant

Organic is good, but there are many organic and/or natural products that contain gluten and soy. Earth Balance makes a soy-free spread. Chicken does not have soy unless it has been added as a broth/baste. Always buy plain (and I would make it organic) chicken. I don't know if ghee *has* to be refrigerated but I would imagine it could not stay out for long--like maybe you could leave it out during the day and refrigerate at night. .Many of the bread mixes do not contain soy and I am not sure if Kinnickinnick bread is soy free. There is no soy in eggs.

You need some veggies. You can make yourself stir-fries of veggies with chicken, other meats served over rice. If you are tolerant of corn you can do tacos (without the cheese) but use plenty of avocado and salsa. I tend to eat pretty much what I used to eat once I got used to looking for the soy and adjusting around it. Admittedly I don't have the dairy (only lactose) problem, but I do have the corn and potato complications. I eat a lot of sweet potato and yams, snack on nuts, hummus and rice crackers, and Mary's Gone Crackers has some delicious soy-free crackers too. Namaste mixes are soy-free Just some random thoughts, trying to remember U.S. foods.

seashele2 Newbie

Marsha,

Eggs and chicken should be OK for you if you are not tremendously sensitive to soy. Chickens, even natural, pastured and free-range chickens are fed a diet including corn, soybeans and a variety of gluten-grains. I was quite purturbed when I learned that even pastured chickens are fed these things. That said, if you are not super sensitive, you will probably be OK. Pork seems to be fed the same grains in their diets. Grass-fed beef is the best bet for my daughter, but I am allergic to beef so that's out for me. I use pastured bison (buffalo) instead when I can scrape up the money. It is much more expensive than beef.

In our house, we eat chicken, but only sometimes so we don't consume too much to set off a reaction. Fish, spaghetti/pasta (Tinkyada is our fav gluten-free brand) and sauce, salads, pork chops/roasts, stews, lots of varieties of rice, potatoes, quinoa, and gluten-free pastas. We have a vegetable and a fruit with each main meal.

While we are limited outside of the house, we don't feel like we suffer at home since I make replacements for almost everything here that we are free of. Just be sure to read the labels on everything. Soy has to be listed if you are in the U.S., as well as dairy since they are top 8 allergens. You'll find soybean oil in all kinds of things and soy lecithan in too many things as well.

Enjoy Life Foods has gluten/dairy/soy free chocolate chips, cookies, breakfast bars, etc. So Delicious makes an awesome Coconut Milk Beverage assortment, as well as creamers, yogurt, ice creams, etc. They also make soy versions, so make sure you look for the label that says "coconut milk". We tolerate goat milk cheeses and sheep milk cheeses in small quantities which is awesome for our cheese loving family.

There is lots of information online. Just type "soy free diet" in Google or whichever search engine you use and lots of info will pop up, just like for "dairy free diet" and "gluten free diet".

Michelle

Western Washington State

Gluten, Dairy, Soy, MSG and Beef-free

Daughter is Corn, Gluten and Dairy-free.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I am very sensitive to soy and eat eggs everyday without a problem and I just buy normal eggs whatever is on sale. There is a ton of misinformation on the web so you need to be careful. Some ideas that come to mind is spaghetti with tinkyada noodles and prego (uses canola oil and according to cambells is now guten free, they wouldn't say so last year). I use Prego when I don't have time to make my own sauce. Buffalo chicken wings (Franks hot sauce with or without soy free earth balance). Chicken never bothers me so I eat a ton of chicken. I do watch for added broth on package though. Kinickinnic breads are dairy, gluten and soy free and so are Udi if you can find it. They make donuts, muffins, pizza crusts ect that are free of the top 8 allergens and are very good! Enjoy life also does not include any of the top 8 in their foods. This morning I am making pancakes, sausage (boulder brand is free of msg, gluten, and soy, I love living in colorado!) with log cabin syrup. For lunch, I use Food for Life brown tortillas a lot. I like to make hot pockets out of them on the stove. Melt a little soy free spread in the pan (or olive oil) when its hot cook the torilla two minutes per side then put on your hormel ham veggies, prego whatever you want on one side then roll it up. I keep it on the stove at least 3 minutes so the inside gets hot and I keep flipping it around. It doesn't crack at all like they do when you just microwave them. I also make pizza's out them, you could use rice cheese or no cheese at all. Hormel pepperoni is gluten-free and soyfree, I just found them sandwhich sized last week at king soopers (kroger)

I was frustrated in the beginning when I found out I had to eliminate soy but it does get easier. I also can't handle too much dairy (lactose). Funny but before I found out about soy I thought I was casein intolerant but removing soy took away the symptoms and I added back in small amounts of cheese for pizza's and sandwiches and I am fine but still can't drink milk or ice milk type ice cream or it sets off the lactose intolerance. It will get easier, I promise! :)

Swimmr Contributor

I am currently doing an elimination diet and thinking it's soy that I am intolerant to as well.

I am in the same boat as you.

I don't know what I will do without cool whip :( It has soy lecithin in it.

HOWEVER if you have a sweet tooth, try Enjoy Life boom choco boom dark chocolate bars. I found out about them on here and checked my favorite gluten free/organic store and they carry them! Regular chocolate has soy lecithin in it. I react in no way to the boom choco boom's. Be careful, do NOT consume half of the bar...you will be constipated.

I do alot of chicken and broccoli, chicken and rice...(right now not much of anything). I like using Asian Jasmine Rice. It's got a good flavor and smells amazing when it's cooking.

I have been eating eggs since the fourth day of my elimination diet with NO problem at all. Eggs are safe...but I tend to buy the free range (brown) eggs though. They taste better to me. Maybe it's all in my head, but whatever.

I buy bags of frozen chicken strips...they're more tender than breasts. However check to see what is put in them. I don't buy Tyson, and I don't buy Holly Farms fresh chicken (has sea salt in it).

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Swimmr, my mother in law bought the canned cool whip by Kraft and it didn't have soy lecithin in it!

Swimmr Contributor
Swimmr, my mother in law bought the canned cool whip by Kraft and it didn't have soy lecithin in it!

Yeah i realized that at Thanksgiving. I don't have an option to go back and edit it...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Yeah i realized that at Thanksgiving. I don't have an option to go back and edit it...

No worries about editing, just wanted to hopefully catch you before Thanksgiving so you could enjoy your cool whip :)

Archived