This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beer Reviews Here

Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Red Bridge. Light color, very clear, clean and alive. Carbonation was strong.

Bart's. Tried this today. Has a fuller flavor than Red Bridge and the Carbonation seem finer. Has a bitter after taste but not a bad taste. Both my dh and I liked this better than Red Bridge because of the fuller flavor.

Both the above beers do lack a depth of flavors. This maybe because there isn't much demand to make them stand out.

Next I try New Grist.

So lets hear your reviews.

Woodchuck cider comment: Have only tried the Amber. Very lacking in flavor in my mind but I've never had any other hard cider. Way too bland for my taste.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

I can't get those beers where I live in Canada, but I thought I'd review the ones I can get here.

La Messagerie -- gluten-free Original Ale -- light colour, good carbonation, slighty bitter but overall a good tasting ale

La Messagere -- gluten-free Red Ale -- nice amber colour, good carbonation, slightly sweet which is odd at first, but it seems to grow on you

Frio -- gluten-free Lager -- nice light colour and body, good carbonation, sweet tasting, nice mild beer

Cheers!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Check out this link:Open Original Shared Link

I've tried Red Bridge and Bart's. There is a sweetness to them I don't like. I had a Green's and boy, was it bitter! It was also very pricey. I think $8 for a large bottle. Seems like I tried another one in Texas, but the name escapes me. I only drank one out of the six-pack because of the sweetness factor.

My BIL brews and we've talked about him trying to brew something. I worry about cc, though...

jerseyangel Proficient

I've had Redbridge. I'm not a big beer drinker (prefer wine) but it was light and crisp. I liked it.

jststric Contributor

I like Red Bridge in a limited amount. I had never cared for beer at all till right about the time I realized I had a gluten problem and was just finding Blue Moon and Guinness and loving both of those. But, alas, it was short-lived. We frequent an Irish pub and they have the ciders so I've become a "conniseur" of sorts with the brands that are here locally. I've had all the Woodchucks. The Granny Smith is a brighter flavor than the Amber, but I tend to like the darker Amber, myself. The pub served Hardcore Cider when I first started trying them. I liked it alot. After getting me hooked, they switched to Strongbow. A definite difference that took some getting used to for me. It's a more sour and a tad blander, imo. They also serve Magner's, it's served in large bottles and is a genuine Irish product. It's more like the Hardcore...brighter and a little sweeter.

I would love to try some of the other gluten-free beers besides Red Bridge, but haven't been able to find them in this area.

Alex J Apprentice

Redbridge is pretty good - a bit bland, but no off flavors. Barts is a little stronger in flavor, and there's something about it I'm not super keen on, which I suppose might be the sweetness.

I didn't care for New Grist at all, very sour and sweet.

None of the gluten free beers are as dry and deliciously hoppy as the gluten beers I like.

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

I just tried Red Bridge last night. It was pretty good, expected it to be horrible. I loved beer before I found out I had celiacs...and am SO happy they made gluten free beer....so hard cider beers like woodchuck are ok?!?! I guess I never thought of those...I love those!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eric-C Enthusiast

Well considering one of my favorites was Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse, a wheat beer I have not had much luck :)

I'll have Red Bridge when we go out for pizza just because I miss pizza and beer. Initial taste its great but it leaves a funny aftertaste to me.

I have not tried any of the others though. I wasn't a huge beer drinker so I just went back to straight liquor on occasions when we go out and I have a drink.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Hubby has switched to drinking Strongbow cider instead of gluten-free beer. He says it's too hard to think that it is "real" beer, but since cider is different, he's not constantly comparing in his head.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'll have to ask around about the Strongbow cider. tfs

Archived