This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Mexico, Feel Bad After 2 Weeks?!

theamazingaustin

theamazingaustin Newbie

First post, hoping to get some good feedback.

I have had digestive problems as long as I can remember, grew up thinking I'm lactose intolerant (haven't ruled that out) but as of the past year i've been playing with gluten-free diets, but never really committed. I'm a 20 year old guy just fyi.

About 2 months ago though I realized that my behavior was taking a toll on a relationship with a very close friend. I am a happy, crazy guy, and thats how everybody knows me! But I wasn't acting like that and was irritable and a little unstable and jumping to conclusions, tired of life, and that with a slew of other reasons I switched to gluten- free for good! My daily stomach aches subsided, I could think clearly, I was happy and energetic again, it was great! And After about 3 weeks I went to mexico to shoot a wedding. The last day on the way back, I splurged, thinking I'd be sick/grumpy for a day or two, maybe even three. I ate things with Cheese, Gluten, and MSG. I know, I am an idiot, but it was a long car ride and... well, I'm an idiot! :P

so a day went by, and two, and three, and four, as i waited to get better. Then a week went by, and today is now 2 weeks to the day. I've had 1 mostly good day (2 days ago) but other than that, I am being evil! I hate the world and am SO irritable, grumpy, tired, stomach problems and the not so fun things that come with that :S and i hate this. I go from great to terrible once twice, or three times in one day. Evenings are the worst. I go to bed almost cringing because of the awful feeling inside, like anger, tension, sadness, hopelessness, lonliness, all in one, but none of them stronger than the other. Its just an overall feeling of absolute misery. I don't want to be alone but I don't want to be with people, I don't see how anything will work out, and I think I'm trying to point all these feelings at something so I'm picking apart people that I love and blaming them! its Terrible!

I've been SUPER careful not to eat ANYthing bad since I've gotten back, but 2 weeks later and I feel worse than last week!!!

Did I break my brain!? Sounds stupid but please, any input would be appriciated!

I can't live like this! I want to be me again! The me that I was just 2 weeks ago!!!!!

I feel ok for the time being, but in a few hours I'm going to be a complete mess again! Help!!! :(

Thanks so much,

-Austin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

the celiac reaction is self-sustaining in the gut for about two weeks, so no, you're not crazy. I generally take a week to stop noticing effects, and I'm one of the faster ones to recover. Keep eating healthy, and Gluten-free Casein-free, and if you haven't already had your vitamin/mineral levels checked, try to do that as well.

jerseyangel Proficient
Did I break my brain!?

Aw Austin, first of all welcome! No, you didn't break it--it can take some time for the reaction to subside, the time is different for everyone and can even change for you as time goes on.

I've been on the diet for 4 years, and now my GI symptoms go away rather quickly but the emotional ones (anxiety, general crankiness, etc) take longer.

Make sure you're scrupulous about avoiding gluten, give it a little more time and I think you're going to be fine :)

theamazingaustin Newbie
the celiac reaction is self-sustaining in the gut for about two weeks, so no, you're not crazy. I generally take a week to stop noticing effects, and I'm one of the faster ones to recover. Keep eating healthy, and Gluten-free Casein-free, and if you haven't already had your vitamin/mineral levels checked, try to do that as well.

Thanks, thats really good to know that this time frame isn't unusual. Sorry if this is a silly question but how can I get my vitamin/mineral levels checked? I'm working with a nutritionist to get allergy / gluten testing done, but it wouldn't be disclosed in that same test, would it?

i appreciate your help!

-Austin

larry mac Enthusiast

You probably got an intestinal disorder also. It's extremely common coming back from Mexico.

best regards, lm

Shess0816 Apprentice
Aw Austin, first of all welcome! No, you didn't break it--it can take some time for the reaction to subside, the time is different for everyone and can even change for you as time goes on.

I've been on the diet for 4 years, and now my GI symptoms go away rather quickly but the emotional ones (anxiety, general crankiness, etc) take longer.

Make sure you're scrupulous about avoiding gluten, give it a little more time and I think you're going to be fine :)

Hi Austin. I think what you're going through is fairly normal. I have been on the gluten free diet since March 2009. I have been accidently glutened twice and each time my symptoms lasted for about 2.5 weeks. The physical ones subsided earlier than that, but the mental ones -- all the feelings you described, the frustration, irritability, anger, sadness....they all lasted the entire 2.5 weeks. It's amazing my poor boyfriend didn't pack up and move out!! I was really a bear to live with and be around!! And the hard thing was that I couldn't do anything to stop myself...it was like the gluten had blocked that part of the brain that houses "Tact" and "Compassion"....I would just say anything I was thinking and it almost made me feel better if what I said was kind of mean. I know, that's horrible and evil, but I had no control over it! After about 2.5 weeks, the cloud felt like it lifted and I went back to my happy, smiley, fun, compassionate, loving self.

Sometimes it just takes a while! The thing you need to think about now, though, is that it sounds like you obviously had a serious reaction to something you ate. You should probably go see your doc and just have everything checked out. And, if you really do think it is gluten related, which those mental symptoms do sound like, then you need to NOT gluten yourself anymore!! Think about how good you felt when you weren't eating gluten and don't let yourself go back to that place where you become someone you don't like.

Sally

theamazingaustin Newbie
Hi Austin. I think what you're going through is fairly normal. I have been on the gluten free diet since March 2009. I have been accidently glutened twice and each time my symptoms lasted for about 2.5 weeks. The physical ones subsided earlier than that, but the mental ones -- all the feelings you described, the frustration, irritability, anger, sadness....they all lasted the entire 2.5 weeks. It's amazing my poor boyfriend didn't pack up and move out!! I was really a bear to live with and be around!! And the hard thing was that I couldn't do anything to stop myself...it was like the gluten had blocked that part of the brain that houses "Tact" and "Compassion"....I would just say anything I was thinking and it almost made me feel better if what I said was kind of mean. I know, that's horrible and evil, but I had no control over it! After about 2.5 weeks, the cloud felt like it lifted and I went back to my happy, smiley, fun, compassionate, loving self.

Sometimes it just takes a while! The thing you need to think about now, though, is that it sounds like you obviously had a serious reaction to something you ate. You should probably go see your doc and just have everything checked out. And, if you really do think it is gluten related, which those mental symptoms do sound like, then you need to NOT gluten yourself anymore!! Think about how good you felt when you weren't eating gluten and don't let yourself go back to that place where you become someone you don't like.

Sally

Thanks Sally!

And I know, I don't know what I was thinking, but after this episode, I never EVER want to slack off again! I started taking SAM-e as of last night and I think today I'm feeling quite a bit better, which is a HUGE relief! I'm def going to see the doc ASAP as well.

Man, this stuff is some serious business!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shess0816 Apprentice
Thanks Sally!

And I know, I don't know what I was thinking, but after this episode, I never EVER want to slack off again! I started taking SAM-e as of last night and I think today I'm feeling quite a bit better, which is a HUGE relief! I'm def going to see the doc ASAP as well.

Man, this stuff is some serious business!

Yeah, it really is! The funny thing is, you don't realize exactly how sick you'd really been feeling until you get gluten out of your system. I had no idea that all my mood changes and anger and everything was tied to the gluten until I'd been on the gluten free diet for a month. My psychological symptoms were the first to go!! Just keep talking to people on this board, too! It helps a TON! It can be a little overwhelming at first, but feel free to ask for help here. A lot of these people have been on this forum for a LONG time, so there's a pretty good chance someone else has had the same experiences as you! Good luck!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm so glad you're feeling better! Throw a little sublingual B12 into the mix too. It helps me a little with the moodiness. Now that you know, you can do better. Understand for yourself how the gluten affects not only your physical self but your mental self, too.

Now, when you feel completely normal again, go buy flowers for everyone you were mean to. That should set things right!

theamazingaustin Newbie
Now, when you feel completely normal again, go buy flowers for everyone you were mean to. That should set things right!

Haha, a good word of advice indeed!

:)

Archived