arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Occasionally Feel Like I'm Going To Fall Over?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 amberlynn

amberlynn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

So, I don't know what this is called, but every now and then I feel like my brain has lost contact with the rest of me and I might fall down. Not really dizzy, nothing else is wrong, I just feel like I'm completely out of balance.

Just now, sitting in the chair, it felt like I was falling to the left (its always the left!), though I hadn't moved at all. My vision seems like its slipping, but the rest of me is fine?

I've been gluten-free for 2 months now (2 and a half??), and I'm as careful as I can be - because I hate the way my body seizes up on me when I've gotten gluten.

Is this normal?? Will it go away? It isn't something that happened when I was 'on gluten', if YKWIM...
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

I am not certain, but this sounds a bit like gluten ataxia. Put that in the search engine on the site. There are lots of posts on it. I guess it is pretty common to develop neuro issues after going gluten-free. I did, with neuropathy. I never had it before I started the diet. Doesn't make sense to me, but many others have noticed the same thing.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:15 AM

For a while I had episodes where I would start to fall over sitting at my computer. I would be working and suddenly catch myself falling over/blacking out. Later these got less severe and I would notice kind of a rushing noise in my ears and feel sort of weak. I think this was caused by periodic low blood pressure but not sure. Doctors didn't find anything. Eventually I started taking a thyroid supplement and stopped drinking coffee and tea. Those things helped quite a bit. Then I found that one of my vitamins had an effect on me. I stopped it and slowly got much better. Now I only get these passing out episodes rarely and not as severely as before. I even stopped taking the thyroid pills although it took me a couple weeks to adjust to not having them.

I went back on my elimination diet to find the vitamin issue. I suggest you consider that also as it might help.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

Have you been test for vitamin deficiencies? I would think b12 in particular.

That weird, "I'm not in my body, but it's moving" has a name but I can't ever remember it. It isn't vertigo because you aren't spinning. B12 cured that for me.

I'll know what you're talking about. It's a disturbing feeling.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:21 AM

Have you been test for vitamin deficiencies? I would think b12 in particular.

That weird, "I'm not in my body, but it's moving" has a name but I can't ever remember it. It isn't vertigo because you aren't spinning. B12 cured that for me.

I'll know what you're talking about. It's a disturbing feeling.

Yes, I agree. Do have a full metabolic panel done. My b-12 was very low in conjunction with other things. I could not walk a straight line. B-12 injections, once a week for a month, then once a month for six, and a good balanced diet ofter healing...made it go away.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 amberlynn

amberlynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

They did a full panel a week after I went gluten-free, and everything came back fine. I take Kirkman's prenatal vitamins (cause I have a million of them, lol).
I have NEVER been able to walk a straight line without concentrating on it (and my husband has always commented on it). So weird.
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

If you haven't specifically worked with your doctors on this one, I would HIGHLY recommend it. You might start with a GP, but if you can self-refer, you might just start with a neurologist. It could be something as simple as crystals in the ear canal (they screw with balance/dizziness), but it might not be.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

You could see and ENT to check for ear related balance issues. I went that route before a neurologist found the b12 deficiency. The test for inner ear is very uncomfortable. They blast your ears with warm and then icy water. They try to make you dizzy. I came very close to puking.

Keep trying! It does have a source, I'm sure.

#9 Swimmr

Swimmr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

I will be looking into this for myself soon too!

I had been corresponding with someone who suffers in the same fashion.

I am hoping it's ear related (due to a history of severe/chronic ear infections).
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

#10 Swimmr

Swimmr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

They blast your ears with warm and then icy water.

OMG! :o
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

#11 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Has anyone ever tried ear candles? Are they effective for this type of problem? I'm curious about them and how they work and what they actually work.

#12 carsondcat

carsondcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

Has anyone ever tried ear candles? Are they effective for this type of problem? I'm curious about them and how they work and what they actually work.

I haven't but i have a friend who swears by them, she uses them to unblock her ears when they become plugged with wax. you lie down with head to one side popin the candle (it's hollow) light the end furthest away from your head and stay with the candle in you ear until it burns down, it's not fiercely burning quite innocuous to watch, but it's not recommended to do it on your own for safety reasons.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, not even if i said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense....... Buddha

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open..... Thomas Dewar

If you want to be someone ... be yourself...

#13 chiroptera

chiroptera

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

WOW Sounds like a "big episode" I had in the Spring, about 2 months before going gluten free. I had been standing for about an hour ironing, stopped, called my mom on the phone (as I was still standing) and all of a sudden I told her, OMG, I feel like I'm falling, I AM, and I gently fell to the floor on my left side all the while talking. I never ever passed out, just fell over. Of course she flipped out, came flying over to my house and by that time ( about 5 mins) I"m sitting up worried my 4 year old is playing with scissors or eating dog food :(

So I called my doctor's office and they talked to me about low blood pressure, low blood sugar (both of which can lead to problems.) I spent months using a glucose monitor and my numbers were never that bad ( high or low). Now I do have real low blood pressure.

My doctor explained that sometimes when you stand for long periods ( or sit a certain way without moving your legs much ) blood can pull in "one spot" or something of that nature and you fall over. She was not very concerned as I am 100 percent I did not black out!!

I know that there is a condition called Orthostotic Hypotension where you just can't stand long. Don't know if you are familiar with The Wiggles, kid performances, but if so, that's why Greg (yellow shirt cute one) left.

I really think I had/have that BUT (and your post really got me thinking) I have NOT had ANY issues since going gluten free in June.

Very Interesting! OH, also sometimes your sodium can get too low and I have this tendency and that can cause issues as well......my doctor since I have low blood pressure it is very important to eat salt, esp if I crave it. Total opposite of what most people are told I know.

Good Luck! It is a very scary feeling, at least it was for me. And sometimes I would feel like that while I was driving and would have to pull over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: