3 replies to this topic

#1 TinaM

TinaM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hi! I'd like to use karina's gluten-free, ef pumpkin pie recipe and it calls for milk(hemp or coconut or cows). I can only get a hold of coconut and I'm allergic to cows milk. The goya brand is out of stock here in our commissary but they have another brand available. I think goya is definitely gluten free. Do you know if in general, coconut milk, is gluten free? We're also staying away from soy. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 The Gluten-Free Hippie

The Gluten-Free Hippie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi! I'd like to use karina's gluten-free, ef pumpkin pie recipe and it calls for milk(hemp or coconut or cows). I can only get a hold of coconut and I'm allergic to cows milk. The goya brand is out of stock here in our commissary but they have another brand available. I think goya is definitely gluten free. Do you know if in general, coconut milk, is gluten free? We're also staying away from soy. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

From what I understand, all coconut milk is free of gluten. I use it religiously in my cooking (and have for years, all different brands) with no problems. gluten-free aside, try not to get the "light" kind, as it just has added water. Better to buy the full fat and water it down yourself if you like a thin milk! :)

Happy pie making!
~Lyra

#3 TinaM

TinaM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

From what I understand, all coconut milk is free of gluten. I use it religiously in my cooking (and have for years, all different brands) with no problems. gluten-free aside, try not to get the "light" kind, as it just has added water. Better to buy the full fat and water it down yourself if you like a thin milk! :)

Happy pie making!

That's great to hear! Thanks!!

Now do you think it's the same for coconut cream? There's a filipino dessert i wanted to make and i thought it used coconut milk but it calls for coconut cream. Thanks again!

#4 The Gluten-Free Hippie

The Gluten-Free Hippie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

That's great to hear! Thanks!!

Now do you think it's the same for coconut cream? There's a filipino dessert i wanted to make and i thought it used coconut milk but it calls for coconut cream. Thanks again!

I'd imagine so, but I can't tell you for sure. I use raw coconut butter (pure processed mature coconuts) and I know that's gluten free.
~Lyra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: