6 replies to this topic

#1 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

I read some where that no moons meant a vitamin B deficiency, is this true? Is anyone else missing their moons :lol: but tested fine for vitamin B? I have them on my thumbs but not the rest of my fingers. How can my moons be missing if my vit. B is fine?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

This topic has come up before here (see- you're not the only one!). My moons disappeared before I went gluten-free and was sick. As I stayed gluten-free, they gradually came back, thumbs first, then pointer, then middle (still missing ring and pinky).

I had read that there was a correlation between this and autoimmune disorders.

Here are some past threads on it:
http://www.celiac.co...?showtopic=6265

http://www.celiac.co...showtopic=25721

This website http://www.marysherb...ngernails.shtml talks about its relationship with thyroid (also very common in people with celiac).
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

Funny, I now have moons on my thumb and next two fingers but not the rest. It's nice to have any moons! I'll have to check my dd when she comes over later today.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#4 carsondcat

carsondcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

Funny, I now have moons on my thumb and next two fingers but not the rest. It's nice to have any moons! I'll have to check my dd when she comes over later today.

For goodness sake, see, I've been diagnosed with celiac disease for getting on for 9 years now and strictly gluten-free as well I've only ever had 1 moon on my left thumb, just looked and it's still there all on it's own (ata boy) I've always had vertical ridges in my nails also, so yet another thing i thought was normal isn't.... Go figure...
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, not even if i said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense....... Buddha

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open..... Thomas Dewar

If you want to be someone ... be yourself...

#5 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

had vertical ridges in my nails

I have splits from the nail tip to the bed of the nail and then the ridges.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#6 carsondcat

carsondcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

I have splits from the nail tip to the bed of the nail and then the ridges.

I don't recall anything like that but my nails go from bendy soft, to brittle hard where they split across the nail but never vertically. Do you ever get infections under your nails? I'm curious now, i know we are all individuals and everyone reacts differently but the more i read the more i find out that what I thought was normal, because I've had it all my life, is in fact not how it's supposed to be... I've never tested further for anything else as I always imagined that once i was diagnosed it would all be better. I expect I need to rethink this as i had to have a hysterectomy this year due to constant low iron and haemoglobin levels. I haven't tested my levels since as the Dr reckons 12 months to 2 years to get back to normal levels. Now I'm wondering if that was wrong and that I should in fact not wait and see at all.. oh well just ruminating things over in my mind now...
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, not even if i said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense....... Buddha

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open..... Thomas Dewar

If you want to be someone ... be yourself...

#7 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

No nail moons here!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: