#1 julie5914

julie5914

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hi all,

I need some advice. I was avoiding giving my 1 yr old son gluten and dairy at first because I am sensitive to both (have celiac + a dairy reaction of some kind). However, I read several studies that said that introducing gluten while still breastfeeding can actually make it better, so I ordered a genetic test, thinking that would give me a definitive answer and I could go ahead and give gluten if it was negative.

The genetic test did come back negative (it was from Enterolab) for the main genes associated with celiac, and we started to give gluten and dairy. He loved his Cheerios. However, he started pooping a lot more often, and it was quite watery with a special kind of stinky. It was hard to keep him free of diaper rash. My knee-jerk reaction was to take out gluten immediately, but now I am second guessing that decision because I've heard other moms saying their kids get diarrhea with teething. He does seem to be doing better gluten free, but I am honestly wondering how much of this is me assuming that it is gluten just because of my celiac. I also feel like what was the point of ordering the gene test if I am not going to trust the results?

How old is old enough to run the actual celiac panel. Should I wait until he's 2 to reintroduce gluten and get the actual panel done?

Thanks,
Julie
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi all,

I need some advice. I was avoiding giving my 1 yr old son gluten and dairy at first because I am sensitive to both (have celiac + a dairy reaction of some kind). However, I read several studies that said that introducing gluten while still breastfeeding can actually make it better, so I ordered a genetic test, thinking that would give me a definitive answer and I could go ahead and give gluten if it was negative.

The genetic test did come back negative (it was from Enterolab) for the main genes associated with celiac, and we started to give gluten and dairy. He loved his Cheerios. However, he started pooping a lot more often, and it was quite watery with a special kind of stinky. It was hard to keep him free of diaper rash. My knee-jerk reaction was to take out gluten immediately, but now I am second guessing that decision because I've heard other moms saying their kids get diarrhea with teething. He does seem to be doing better gluten free, but I am honestly wondering how much of this is me assuming that it is gluten just because of my celiac. I also feel like what was the point of ordering the gene test if I am not going to trust the results?

How old is old enough to run the actual celiac panel. Should I wait until he's 2 to reintroduce gluten and get the actual panel done?

Thanks,
Julie

He could have regular gluten intolerance in which case the labs will not make a difference. Different causes but the treatment is the same.

#3 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

However, I read several studies that said that introducing gluten while still breastfeeding can actually make it better, so I ordered a genetic test, thinking that would give me a definitive answer and I could go ahead and give gluten if it was negative.

Huh? Introducing gluten can make what better? I'm confused...where did you read this? I'm curious because I just read yesterday that if a baby has a celiac gene and you withhold gluten for the first 6 months, you decrease the chances of the baby developing celiac by five times. There is just too much confusing information out there! I never know what to believe! Agh!

I'd love to know for sure because we'd like to have another baby in the next few years and I'm not sure how to go about this whole gluten thing with a new baby.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#4 julie5914

julie5914

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:36 AM

Huh? Introducing gluten can make what better? I'm confused...where did you read this? I'm curious because I just read yesterday that if a baby has a celiac gene and you withhold gluten for the first 6 months, you decrease the chances of the baby developing celiac by five times. There is just too much confusing information out there! I never know what to believe! Agh!

I'd love to know for sure because we'd like to have another baby in the next few years and I'm not sure how to go about this whole gluten thing with a new baby.

Right, you should definitely withhold it for the first 6 months. The study I read said to introduce it at 6 months while still breastfeeding - that this is better than withholding it longer. Important to note that this is in the case of preventing sensitivity and allergy. If baby has the celiac gene, it doesn't matter; there is no preventing that.
Blood work positive
Dx with IBS 5 years ago
Dx with Celiac and gluten-free since 6/17/05

#5 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Right, you should definitely withhold it for the first 6 months. The study I read said to introduce it at 6 months while still breastfeeding - that this is better than withholding it longer. Important to note that this is in the case of preventing sensitivity and allergy. If baby has the celiac gene, it doesn't matter; there is no preventing that.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying! So this only applies to allergies and sensitivities, not celiac itself...that makes sense.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: