5 replies to this topic

#1 sugarsue

sugarsue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:59 AM

Yesterday at thanksgiving dinner, we ate a dish that had undisclosed cream of chicken and (I think) cream of mushroom soup. I assume it was campbells but I don't know. None of us got sick :o

My girls are both seriously gluten intolerant (possible celiac but we don't know) and I am allergic to wheat. If I eat any small amount of wheat, my armpits wake me up in the middle of the night with the most intolerable itch. My 7 yr old gets diarrhea within 10 minutes after eating gluten. But she has not been sick for a while now. This has me completely confused.

Do you know of a brand of cream soups that don't have gluten? Is it possible to be gluten intolerant and "get better" if they don't have celiac? My girls have been gluten free for 1 year and it has changed our lives. I have no intention of adding back gluten but this really has me confused.

Susan
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

I use Health Valley organic cream of celery, mushroom and chicken soup and it is gluten free as of the last time I bought it. Nothing on the label is a gluten ingredient. I can't verify about cc, but I have not gotten sick from it yet.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

Heinz Cream soups are gluten-free too.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#4 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

Heinz Cream soups are gluten-free too.

Thanks you two... that makes the most sense, that it was a soup that was gluten free. I didn't know about these two brands. I will ask her and get that clarification. Plus, I'm happy to know about these soups for my own cooking!

Susan
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

#5 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup is gluten-free. But I've never seen it in a store around here. :(

I don't think it's typical but I have heard some people get a little more tolerant of occasional small-scale glutening after they've had a chance to really heal. But the damage is still being done so it's no excuse for being lax.

I don't always have symptoms with small glutenings anymore, but if I get a chronic gluten contamination I'm unaware of -- like a supplement I took that I thought was gluten-free but wasn't this summer -- didn't notice much symptom the first few days but after a week I was as sick as ever.

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#6 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup is gluten-free. But I've never seen it in a store around here. :(

I don't think it's typical but I have heard some people get a little more tolerant of occasional small-scale glutening after they've had a chance to really heal. But the damage is still being done so it's no excuse for being lax.

I don't always have symptoms with small glutenings anymore, but if I get a chronic gluten contamination I'm unaware of -- like a supplement I took that I thought was gluten-free but wasn't this summer -- didn't notice much symptom the first few days but after a week I was as sick as ever.

Interesting! I still don't know what is going on here, and I can't seem to get my friend to tell me what brand of soup she used. Hopefully Monday when I see her I can ask her face to face. It never did make me itch so I'm leaning towards a gluten free soup. It's nice to know my dd may not get so sick with accidental glutening but I may need to adjust what I look for. The next day, she did get an allergic reaction around her eyes, they were really red and she looked like a raccoon. I don't know if it was related, it was different than anything I've seen on her.

Susan
Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: