Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ate Tg Dish That Had Cream Of Soups....

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday at thanksgiving dinner, we ate a dish that had undisclosed cream of chicken and (I think) cream of mushroom soup. I assume it was campbells but I don't know. None of us got sick :o

My girls are both seriously gluten intolerant (possible celiac but we don't know) and I am allergic to wheat. If I eat any small amount of wheat, my armpits wake me up in the middle of the night with the most intolerable itch. My 7 yr old gets diarrhea within 10 minutes after eating gluten. But she has not been sick for a while now. This has me completely confused.

Do you know of a brand of cream soups that don't have gluten? Is it possible to be gluten intolerant and "get better" if they don't have celiac? My girls have been gluten free for 1 year and it has changed our lives. I have no intention of adding back gluten but this really has me confused.

Susan

Ads by Google:

I use Health Valley organic cream of celery, mushroom and chicken soup and it is gluten free as of the last time I bought it. Nothing on the label is a gluten ingredient. I can't verify about cc, but I have not gotten sick from it yet.

Heinz Cream soups are gluten-free too.

Heinz Cream soups are gluten-free too.

Thanks you two... that makes the most sense, that it was a soup that was gluten free. I didn't know about these two brands. I will ask her and get that clarification. Plus, I'm happy to know about these soups for my own cooking!

Susan

Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup is gluten-free. But I've never seen it in a store around here. :(

I don't think it's typical but I have heard some people get a little more tolerant of occasional small-scale glutening after they've had a chance to really heal. But the damage is still being done so it's no excuse for being lax.

I don't always have symptoms with small glutenings anymore, but if I get a chronic gluten contamination I'm unaware of -- like a supplement I took that I thought was gluten-free but wasn't this summer -- didn't notice much symptom the first few days but after a week I was as sick as ever.

Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup is gluten-free. But I've never seen it in a store around here. :(

I don't think it's typical but I have heard some people get a little more tolerant of occasional small-scale glutening after they've had a chance to really heal. But the damage is still being done so it's no excuse for being lax.

I don't always have symptoms with small glutenings anymore, but if I get a chronic gluten contamination I'm unaware of -- like a supplement I took that I thought was gluten-free but wasn't this summer -- didn't notice much symptom the first few days but after a week I was as sick as ever.

Interesting! I still don't know what is going on here, and I can't seem to get my friend to tell me what brand of soup she used. Hopefully Monday when I see her I can ask her face to face. It never did make me itch so I'm leaning towards a gluten free soup. It's nice to know my dd may not get so sick with accidental glutening but I may need to adjust what I look for. The next day, she did get an allergic reaction around her eyes, they were really red and she looked like a raccoon. I don't know if it was related, it was different than anything I've seen on her.

Susan

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I think that we have to remember that celiacs often develop intolerances due to our  damaged guts.  Our guts do not ncessarily heal either (usually adults) for  a variety of reasons even if their symptoms improve (see links below).   Nuts are just plain hard to digest.   I can not tolerate almonds, but can handle walnuts and cashews in small amounts.  I can eat peanuts too, but resort to Peanutbutter after a Glutening as it is easier to digest (maybe I have to learn to chew better!  😀)  My nut symptoms have  nothing to do with gluten as I have purchased certified gluten-free nuts and suffered with the same symptoms.  .   https://www.verywell.com/celiac-disease-when-will-your-small-intestine-recover-562341 http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/treatment/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23936873 i call the manufacturer when I suspect the manufacturer is sharing the line or if I just want to know.  I bought some Black English walnuts and called the company.  Those are the only nuts they process and they do not have any flavored nuts.   if you really want to test your theory out, buy some nuts from Nuts.com (certified gluten-free).   See if you get a reaction or ask your GI to retest your antibodies (which should be done annually anyway).   I just hate to have Planters get a bum rap when you do not really know for sure.......😥    
    • New to forum! Appreciate all of the information.  I have Kaiser as many of you do.  My ttg is 1.18 (Kaiser <90), iga 31 (Kaiser <90). I have emailed my pcp in regards to where we go from here.  Is this a positive result or just a little above normal like Kaiser will tell me? I have had conflicting symptoms of some sort of inflammatory problem for 9 years.  I am almost convinced that this might be my answer. Can anyone give insight?
    • I eat them with no issues and know several other Celiacs that eat them with no issue.
    • I am sorry that you are sick! i think you need to really adhere to a gluten free diet that consists of ONLY whole foods (no processed gluten-free foods) and do not go out to eat, until you start to see improvement.  Each tiny gluten exposure can set you back.  It sounds like you really became even more ill after the gluten challenge.   I was just anemic when diagnosed.  I waited seven weeks for my endoscopy due to work issues, so i took the time to consume lots of gluten.  Like a loaf of sourdough per day not to mention all the cakes, cookies that I loved.  (Okay, I just ate a few out of each package......)  by the end of seven weeks, I knew I had celiac disease.  I had a bloated stomach visible under my left rib cage, pinching when I bent over, indigestion, etc.  Not to mention some weird Fibro pain my my shoulders, tingly legs, etc.   Most resolved, but it took about two years. If you  ask for thyroid panel, be sure it includes testing for thyroid antibodies.   
    • My daughter, who is almost 21 and has celiac disease, was diagnosed with Epilepsy a year ago. Hindsight being 20/20, we realized she had been having seizure since she was a teenager but the random passing out and feelings of being 'out of it' were attributed to dehydration or poor nutrition and sleep habits during numerous trips to the emergency room. In our reading about Epilepsy, I have found some mention of celiac and gluten issue connections and even where a strict adherence to a gluten-free diet provided a lot of improve the with frequency and severity of seizures.  I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this experience.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mycaringkidsmom