This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frustrated Over Products

cbear6301

cbear6301 Explorer

I really am finding this hard... I don't know what happened but I cannot shake being sick... I swear its not gluten though certain bodily things are pointing in that direction. I call, I write, I try and verify but its hard.

So I have some questions and maybe you can help?

1- if walmart says naturally gluten free, is it?

2- I love coffee.... but can't find which coffee is gluten free? Folgers, Maxwell House, Walmart Great Value.. etc.?

3- if my local grocery store, hyvee, publishes a gluten free list to shop buy, can I be reasonably certain that they are gluten free?

4- does dish detergent have gluten in it? all purpose cleaner for the kitchen? hand soap in the bathroom?

5- and my husband wants to know since we live in the midwest , and I got sick during harvest, could it be from wheat?

thanks for your patience

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Alot of people get sick from products that are gluten free. It depends on how little it takes for you to react. I have read on here that some people have reaction if they breath in gluten ie from flour dust. I do buy some things that are naturally gluten free and by trial and error have found some things I can eat and some I cant. As for the the cc issue you could call the manufacturer and ask if they used shared lines or different lines but same facility to help make a decision.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

1- if walmart says naturally gluten free, is it?

Probably - I relied on Walmart's gluten-free stuff for awhile - the stuff that didnt' say "contains gluten" but lately, as they have changed a lot of their packaging, not sure it's so reliable anymore (some formerly gluten free stuff no longer says so).

2- I love coffee.... but can't find which coffee is gluten free? Folgers, Maxwell House, Walmart Great Value.. etc.?

Coffee grinds are gluten free - coffee mixes (powdered stuff) may not be. Coffee can irritate an already glutened stomach and mimick glutening.

3- if my local grocery store, hyvee, publishes a gluten free list to shop buy, can I be reasonably certain that they are gluten free?

The list is accurate the day it is printed, all lists are subject to change as suppliers & conditions change.

4- does dish detergent have gluten in it? all purpose cleaner for the kitchen? hand soap in the bathroom?

Don't know this one - shampoos will often list wheat starch but I'm sure there are other ingredients I don't know of - anyone else ?????

5- and my husband wants to know since we live in the midwest , and I got sick during harvest, could it be from wheat?

You can get sick ingesting wheat dust in a bakery, but it might be a stretch to associate this....dunno.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I would say yes you can get sick during harvest. You drive by those fields and there is a cloud of dust in the air. It sticks to your car and dirties your house. We're mostly corn and soybeans here but the harvest concept is the same. When the particles are in the air, you breathe them and when you swallow it goes to your digestive system.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

My two cents.

I read EVERY label; to see if it's gluten-free, not gluten-free or if it's changed since the last time I've read it. The more you practice and buy the same brands, the faster this will be. Unless a brand/product is made in a 100% gluten-free environment (not necessarily typical), I don't "trust it" unless I read the label carefully.

I don't eat products made on "shared lines".

I drink Kirkland coffee from Costco. gluten-free, rich and cheap.

Makes sense you might get CC from the fields, see if it changes season to season.

While I do try and avoid soaps, shampoo, etc...I don't believe it's as important as things you ingest.

Whole Foods and some other companies are more "trustworthy" than others, but you'll be surprised by some things. Like adding oats into something that is supposed to be gluten-free. Oats are often contaminated and others simply can't seem to not react when they eat it (even the certified brands).

Good luck.

princessjessie Newbie

I use Maxwell House Instant coffee at home. I have never had a problem with it, except occasionally drinking it on an empty stomach will upset it. You could e-mail them to confirm the "gluten-free" status, but I'm almost positive it is. I'm very sensitive.

As for the gluten free shopping list, I wouldn't belive any list completely. Always double check items on lists. It's a great place to start, and for reference.

All household items-- well, actually, anything at all it seems can have gluten in it. Yes, dishsoaps and detergents and cleaners can have gluten in them. I just found out that my Polmolive is not gluten-free. It is a never ending struggle. The only way to be sure is to call companies and e-mail, and to do it frequently in case they change their formulas.

Archived