18 replies to this topic

#16 christicrete

christicrete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:03 AM

I have worked in many restaraunts and they all had automatic dishwashers that they changed the water in after 20 or so loads. they work differantly than your standard home dishwasher but they work on pretty much the same principles. As for washing by hand, we were not allowed to because the temperature of the water had to be hot enough to kill bacteria and you could not touch the water at those temps. The FDA would not allow hand washing. Everything had to be dishwasher safe. As for my dishwasher, it has a garbage disposal in it and chops the food material super fine. When my dishes are extra dirty I get grit on my dishes and have to wash them again. This is my question, wouldn't some of that grit be gluten since my household is not gluten-free, only me. and since there is some grit that is visible there of course would be residue that is not visible but from what I have read could still be potentially hazadouz to the celiac. OR am I just obsessing way too much and just live my life without over analizing everything, just being careful ;) (anyone ever notice that analizing has the word anal in it :rolleyes: ) I'm sorry for being so weird, just trying to figure how to feel better and not getting all the way there yet. I am also a little overwhelmed and still "grieving" my favorite gluten laden things.
Christi
Christi

gluten-free just recently. Found out about Celiacs and sounds like me. Bloat and pain when eat wheat and some other unidentified foods. Went on Atkins diet for 1.5 years and no symptoms. Went off diet and ouch owie agony pain. Test negative, know positive.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

Fascinating... my friends who had restaurants weren't allowed to have automatic dishwashers. Interesting difference. Of course, there may have been a prewashing area I forget about, but I remember the other one. Or maybe my memory is all twisted up...

Either way, in the home... I'm unfamiliar with that type of dishwasher that you note - I'd recommend cleaning the foodscraps off the plates thoroughly before putting them in the dishwasher if some particles get left behind. That's definitely not something you're too paranoid about! ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#18 christicrete

christicrete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:03 AM

Must be the differances in state compliances. Icould not imagine washing all the dishes a restraunt generates by hand!!!! I have only worked in Minnesota and North Dakota restraunts, the laws were the same in both states. That is interesting, I have always wondered which way of doing dishes is best. I will stick with my dishwasher, easier! It does help having worked in a few rest. in the area because I know lots of the management and they are more willing to help out someone they know as far as special preparations. This will probably change down the road but for now, while I am learning, it is good!
Christi

gluten-free just recently. Found out about Celiacs and sounds like me. Bloat and pain when eat wheat and some other unidentified foods. Went on Atkins diet for 1.5 years and no symptoms. Went off diet and ouch owie agony pain. Test negative, know positive.

#19 debberdee

debberdee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

I am going back to the info that celiac3270 posted about the book by Jax and off the dishwasher talk (sorry) :wacko: Thank you celiac3270. I just recommended this book elsewhere and oh, my gosh! I feel so terrible! I just loved her writing style and chose to ignore the inacurracies! I now realize after reading your posting and also the comments at Amazon, that I should have never suggested this book. Thank you so much for your knowledge and insight. I read EVERYTHING that I can get my hands on about celiac disease and never realized that others may not read as much or the way I read and that some info in The gluten-free Bible could be damaging to those who don't disregard the 'untruths'. I have read many of your postings and want you to know that I think you must really be amazing! Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: