No replies to this topic

#1 StacyA

StacyA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:57 AM

I finally got the direct email of the Giant Eagle nutritionist who can answer questions - the problem is it can take several days for her to email back. (If you call the toll-free number on the product, all the person on the phone does is email the same nutritionist and tell you she'll call you within 3 days with an answer. Not great when you're making dinner...) A lot of you probably already have this info, but for some newbies like me it may help. I didn't see any recent Giant Eagle posts when I searched.

It's: nutritionist at gianteagle.com (I won't type the actual address, she needs to devote time to us, not to spammers.)

So she sent me a 'list' of gluten-free Giant Eagle products. It's not very big, but it's a start. I get the impression Giant Eagle is starting to offer more options and label better - but it's still not great. Unfortunately the little Giant Eagle near me is soooo convenient. (I also drive a little farther to a WalMart somewhat near me, since they make their 'Great Value' suppliers clearly disclose gluten. I think, however, some of those suppliers are now doing more CYA and simply slapping on that 'may contain traces of....' disclaimer. I recently saw that disclaimer on the Great Value instant rice.)

The nutritionist said I could share her info and email in a forum, so here's some cutting and pasting of her list and a few questions I had asked - specifically about their frozen chicken breasts and tenders (I buy a ton when they're on sale - but now I find out Giant Eagle can't back up whether they are gluten free or not):

•Giant Eagle is working with our suppliers to identify and list Giant Eagle branded products that our producers can assure are gluten free.
•Giant Eagle brand and Bell and Evans fresh chicken (in the service or packaged meat case) have no gluten-containing products added. This is a fresh, not frozen product. [When I read this, I then was worried about the Giant Eagle frozen chicken breasts and tenders - so I emailed and asked about them. Here was the response in a separate email: Glad you asked. I cannot assure you that the Frozen Giant Eagle Chicken Breast and Tenders are gluten free. We do have a Nature's Basket Frozen Chicken Breast that is but we don't have the certification yet on the ones you are asking about.]
•Smithfield Lean Generation Pork (cuts not marinated) has no additives and therefore no gluten-containing products. Many Dietz and Watson Deli meats are identified as gluten-free.

Currently, we have a brief list of products that we qualify as gluten-free. We are continually working to make more gluten free products available, so ask a Giant Eagle team member for the latest updated list. Again, you should contact the manufacturer to be sure a national brand item is qualified as gluten free.

NATURE’S BASKET
Salad Dressings:
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Caesar
Italian
Ranch
Raspberry Vinaigrette
Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette
Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette

Salsa:
Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Hot Salsa