dairy-free

#3 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

Your word on it is good enough for me! I tend to only use what I find on Celiac.com, though. It is the best site I have found so far, and I usually stick with what works and is accurate.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

Well, I do not consider any Frito-Lays' products to be glutenfree (unless made on a dedicated line). If Cheeto's have that cross-contamination then I would agree with then not being glutenfree.

All books will have issues, especially those written from personal expereince. Read it or don't but if you do just remember to think about what's being said. have you persoannly read it, celiac3270? At my last support group meeting it was discussed since the author attened a previous function and everyone there who read it seemed to like it.

I know she wrote the new one since the old one is outdated.

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

--

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:15 AM

celiac3270, I trust your carefuly discernment. It appreciated. Deb
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

I have been told be lots of people how good the book is and that they've enjoyed it.

I just think people should read it for themselves and decide. Maybe they can get something out of it. It's not getting bad reviews from everyone.

Frito-Lay right out tells you that most of their products on that list will be contaminated making them not glutenfree.

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

--

#9 connole1056

connole1056

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

I agree with celiac3270. When my daughter was diagnosed 6 years ago, her nutritionist suggested I get Against The Grain, and like a fool I did. I think Lowell is a moron. It seemed to me she is simply trying to break out on the comedy circuit (although she is NOT funny she thinks she is) rather than trying to put out any useful information that would actually help anyone. I have not read anything else written by Lowell so I cannot comment on the newer writings, but I can say that I would not waste my money on something else by her. Why should she get rich off my dollar? It was overwhelming when my daughter was diagnosed as a celiac. Even the support group in my area recommended this book, but I was sorely disappointed with the content. There was nothing of interest, or even of help in the first book so I would never read another.

#10 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

--

#11 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:50 PM

I haven't read either of those books, but after reading this post at work and then spending most of my drive home thinking about it, I had to post my two cents.

I ENTIRELY disagree with the attitude that "everyone cheats, it's inevitable." The doctor who diagnosed my celiac disease told me something similar. He said, "In six months, you'll feel better and want a pizza, and that's normal. It's fine as long as you don't do it too often." Well, what is too often? If every six months is ok, how about every five? Every four? How much is too much? It's too arbitrary, and I'm not interested in dealing with that slippery slope. I've been gluten-free for two years, and I've never cheated once. I've never even been tempted to cheat.

Now, that's not to say that I'm immune to the smell of fresh bread, or don't pine a little at the sight of a beer. But I just can't justify to myself having "just a little" gluten. Why tease myself that way? I can probably make the same thing at home that's almost as good (if not as good) that is safe and I can eat whenever I want. I feel like if I let myself have a pizza every once in a while, as some kind of strange reward for being good on my diet (how backwards is that?), then what - I'm just biding my time til my next taste of gluten? No thanks!

Of course, if you're able to justify to yourself that it's ok to cheat once in a while, then that's fine - it's your decision. You are the one dealing with the consequences, not someone else! But I just hope that people aren't using someone else's justification, that it's ok because everyone does it. Because not everyone cheats.

Thanks for letting me rant, and be sure to be good to your bodies!

#12 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

Everyone cheat? I don't think so. I read Against the Grain and couldn't believe the crap that was in there. Very poorly researched but well written. Celiac.com is the only safe place for information because we've been there and suffered through it. I don't know what Lowell was thinking. I don't think she ever really had to suffer the fatigue, brain fog and extreme pain most of us have had to live with. If she did she would have been more careful and never would cheat either.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#13 lotusgem

lotusgem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

Right on, guys! If someone is concerned about his health and is seriously committed to following the diet to the letter, then the attitude that "everyone cheats" is not helpful in the least. I suppose that she is playing to the human weakness in us all, but in so doing, she is overlooking our potential strength! I also have never cheated or even been tempted to do so.
Paula

#14 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:13 AM

I read Against the Grain when I was newly diagnosed and didn't know any better, at the time I did enjoy the book, I enjoyed her style of writing and thought that some of her advice was useful. I also took from it that I needed to make my own decisions after doing my own research and verifying for myself what was gluten free. I do think she's got some good things in the book, maybe instead of just warning everyone to stay away from her books, we should instead be forming a letter writing campaign to her to let her know of the inaccuracies in her book and how dangerous some of her statements are.

You have a really good point celiac3270 in that newbies are going to take her word as gospel as far as what is safe or not, but I do believe that she does make a disclaimer in her book that this is her personal experience and that readers will need to discern for themselves what is useful or not. I did get a little irritated at her calling the new book "The Gluten Free Bible" though, IMHO that is just crap!

#15 Bette

Bette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

:o Ok Since I am one of the newbies, and haven't started the diet yet, still waiting for the appt. with the G.I. I went to the local bookstore and bought "Dangerous Grains" by James Braly,M.D. and Ron Hoggan, M.A. and "Eating Gluten Free" by Shreve Stockton.

Has anybody read these? Is there any conflicting info. in here to???

I was trying to find books by by Dana Korn, but they did not have them, I will just order them on amazon.

Bette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: