This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Gfd..wondering About Zone Perfect Bars?

mhalpin12

mhalpin12 Apprentice

Hi! I'm going gluten-free because of suspected Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Can someone tell me if the Zone Perfect Bars are gluten-free? I've searched the boards and Googled it and just can't find anything definite. Seems that some of them are, but no one says which ones. I'm specifically interested in the Chocolate Peanut Butter bars and the Fudge Graham bars, since I just bought a bunch at Costco. Thanks for any help you can give me! Much appreciated!

Michelle in TN

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast
Hi! I'm going gluten-free because of suspected Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Can someone tell me if the Zone Perfect Bars are gluten-free? I've searched the boards and Googled it and just can't find anything definite. Seems that some of them are, but no one says which ones. I'm specifically interested in the Chocolate Peanut Butter bars and the Fudge Graham bars, since I just bought a bunch at Costco. Thanks for any help you can give me! Much appreciated!

Michelle in TN

Some are, but some aren't. You have to check the labels. My guess is that the graham will not be gluten-free :huh:
mhalpin12 Apprentice
Some are, but some aren't. You have to check the labels. My guess is that the graham will not be gluten-free :huh:

Thank you. Would calling the company yield a definitive answer? Or do I just have to look at the Zone Bar label with my list of "gluten and gluten free ingredients" from this site?

I just realized, too, that my question belongs more properly in a different catgory, so I'm reposting there. Sorry to put it in the wrong place.

Thanks! :)

Michelle in TN

tarnalberry Community Regular

ALWAYS read the label, regardless of any list or affirmation you have from anyone. Ingredients can and do change.

Googling the Chocolate Peanut Butter one leads to this ingredient list:

Soy Protein Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Tapioca Starch, Salt), Peanut Butter Fudge (Corn Syrup, Peanut Butter, Invert Sugar, Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Milk Protein, Soy Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Carob Seed Gum, Salt, Natural Caramel Color, Beta-Carotene, Vanilla Extract, Peanut Oil With Other Natural Flavors), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Powder, Whey Powder, Nonfat Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla Flavor), Corn Syrup, Acacia Gum, Fructose Syrup, Peanut Butter, Peanut Flour, Peanuts.

Less Than 2% of the Following: Glycerine, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavor, Salt.

Vitamins And Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Fumarate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin.

CONTAINS SOY, PEANUT AND MILK INGREDIENTS; MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT PROCESSES EGGS, TREE NUTS AND WHEAT.

Ingredients are gluten free, but some people choose to avoid shared buildings.

Googling the Fudge Graham one leads to this ingredient list:

Soy Protein Nuggets (Isolated Soy Protein, Tapioca Starch, Salt), Chocolate Flavored Coating (Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel And Palm Oils, Cocoa [Processed With Alkali], Nonfat Dry Milk, Sorbitan Monostearate, Soy Lecithin, Natural VanillaFlavor), Corn Syrup, Milk Chocolate Drops (Sugar, Whole Milk Powder, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Milk Fat, Soy Lecithin, Natural Vanilla Flavor), Marshmallow Pieces (Sugar, Corn Starch, Fructose, Soybean Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Natural Flavors, Salt, Soy Lecithin), Fructooligosaccharides, Milk Protein Isolate, High Oleic Sunflower Or High Oleic Safflower Oil, Glycerine. Less Than 2% Of The Following: Fructose, Natural Flavors, Water, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin.

Vitamins And Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Fumarate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobalamin.

CONTAINS SOY AND MILK INGREDIENTS; MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT PROCESSES EGGS, PEANUTS, TREE NUTS AND WHEAT.

Ditto.

mhalpin12 Apprentice

Hi! I'm going gluten-free because of suspected Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Can someone tell me if the Zone Perfect Bars are gluten-free? I accidently posted this question in another forum on this board, and the answer I got said they seemed fine, but I wanted to check here, too. I've searched the boards and Googled it and just can't find anything definite. Seems that some of them are, but no one says which ones. I'm specifically interested in the Chocolate Peanut Butter bars and the Fudge Graham bars, since I just bought a bunch at Costco.

My other question is about pure gelatin capsules used in medications. I use a Thyroid RX that is compounded. I called and asked about it being gluten-free today, and the pharmacist said it contained only Thyroid hormone, lactose (as filler) and gelatin capsules. The capsules are just gelatin and water, so I assume they are gluten-free and safe?

Thanks for any help you can give me! Much appreciated!

Michelle in TN

Jestgar Rising Star

I've merged your topics. Please stop posting the same thing over and over.

mhalpin12 Apprentice
I've merged your topics. Please stop posting the same thing over and over.

My apologies. I did not intend to post duplicate posts. I'm new to the these boards and still trying to figure them out. I posted my second post when I did not see my first one go through. I waited overnight, and when it didn't show, I posted again. Again, my apologies. Did not mean to do that. Is there a technical reason that I'm not seeing my posts after I hit Post? If you can help, I appreciate it.

Michelle in TN

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

This info is from about a year ago when I called the company:

The customer service rep told me that the bars are made on shared equipment and some bars have gluten ingredients. When I asked further if she had information on how they change from one product to another, she found information stating that all the equipment is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between products, and that they were highly aware of the need to do this with respect to allergens. Very helpful and knowledgable on the phone. You will need to make your own decision with respect to this, but I had good confidence in what I was hearing. The rep had all of this information at her fingertips.

My son eats Zone bars almost daily (school lunches/snacks on the go).

Now with all these disclaimers out of the way, here is the list of ZonePerfect Bars that contain no Gluten Ingredients:

Chocolate Almond Raisin

Chocolate Caramel Crunch (also snack size)

Chocolate Coconut Crunch

Chocolate Peanut Butter (also snack size)

Chocolate Raspberry

Fudge Graham (also snack size) - despite the name

Peanut Toffee

Double Dark Chocolate

Banana Nut

Blueberry

Orange Cranberry

I am seeing a couple of new flavors in stores, but have not checked on them yet.

Jestgar Rising Star
My apologies. I did not intend to post duplicate posts. I'm new to the these boards and still trying to figure them out. I posted my second post when I did not see my first one go through. I waited overnight, and when it didn't show, I posted again. Again, my apologies. Did not mean to do that. Is there a technical reason that I'm not seeing my posts after I hit Post? If you can help, I appreciate it.

Michelle in TN

mhalpin12 Apprentice

Ah, I see. That clarifies things. Thank you for the info. :)

Michelle in TN

mhalpin12 Apprentice
This info is from about a year ago when I called the company:

The customer service rep told me that the bars are made on shared equipment and some bars have gluten ingredients. When I asked further if she had information on how they change from one product to another, she found information stating that all the equipment is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between products, and that they were highly aware of the need to do this with respect to allergens. Very helpful and knowledgable on the phone. You will need to make your own decision with respect to this, but I had good confidence in what I was hearing. The rep had all of this information at her fingertips.

My son eats Zone bars almost daily (school lunches/snacks on the go).

Now with all these disclaimers out of the way, here is the list of ZonePerfect Bars that contain no Gluten Ingredients:

Chocolate Almond Raisin

Chocolate Caramel Crunch (also snack size)

Chocolate Coconut Crunch

Chocolate Peanut Butter (also snack size)

Chocolate Raspberry

Fudge Graham (also snack size) - despite the name

Peanut Toffee

Double Dark Chocolate

Banana Nut

Blueberry

Orange Cranberry

I am seeing a couple of new flavors in stores, but have not checked on them yet.

Bev,

THANK YOU! :) That's exactly the information I needed, and I appreciate you sharing your footwork with me. I'm trying to get gluten-free as quickly as possible in order to STOP ITCHING with this DH. But I don't have all the time I need to thoroughly research everything I eat. I wish that there was a book that had a comprehensive listing of gluten-free products in it, something researched and revised every year. Our family follows the Feingold Diet, which eliminates artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, and as members, we have a comprehensive Foodlist of reserached food/body care products that are clean for Feingold. To check a product, you just check the list. Wish there was a gluten-free list or blog or database like that. It's so overhwelming to Google or call the company about every single questionable item.

Thanks, though for the help with the Zone bars. Those are staple Breakfasts for me, so that's one meal taken care of. :)

Michelle in TN

bbuster Explorer

Good luck to you - glad to help.

Archived