9 replies to this topic

#1 kdonov2

kdonov2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

I am casein intolerant and I was told by a doctor that because their is 0 protein in butter, that it is ok to eat. I can't help feel that he is wrong, but why is he wrong? Can anybody help me out?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

There are trace amounts of casein in butter. (Remember 0g on a nutrition label doesn't mean NONE. It means less than 0.5g per serving.) That said, some people who are casein intolerant do fine with moderate amounts of butter (I seem to, and I know I'm not the only one). It depends on how sensitive you are. (I'm assuming a 'standard' casein intolerance here, not a casein-induced enteropathy, which functions like celiac disease in causing intestinal damage.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 kdonov2

kdonov2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

hmm. well im not quite sure what to make of it. I have not fully understood my lab results. they said that I have an autoimmune reaction to cows milk. does this mean that milk will damage my intestines like gluten does?

#4 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

Well, if you are having an autoimmune reaction then yes, there is damage happening to your body somewhere. The autoimmune system attacking your own body IS the reaction. So yes. I wouldn't eat butter either. I tried and still had a reaction to it. To me, dairy is dairy.

#5 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

I, too, tested positive to casein. My doctor told me it would be fine for me to eat dairy and sour cream. I haven't been totally gluten free for long enough to take the chance. I am hoping after some healing that I can tolerate both butter and sour cream because I sure could use the calories.

#6 woodnewt

woodnewt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

Butter has milk solids, so YES there is caesin in it. Not much, but it's there. If you want butter without the caesin, look into "clarified butter" (also known as) Ghee.

#7 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

I read that you can clarify butter by heating it up and removing the cloudy stuff that separates. Has anyone tried this?

#8 amberlynn

amberlynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

I am casein intolerant and I was told by a doctor that because their is 0 protein in butter, that it is ok to eat. I can't help feel that he is wrong, but why is he wrong? Can anybody help me out?

OK - my kid is severely allergic to dairy, and there is the protein in the butter. He is NOT lactose intolerant, he is anaphylactic to any and all dairy. So, we're not new to this, lol ;)

Do not try to clarify the butter either. There is still a chance of the protein being there and making you sick.

Smart Balance Light is casein free, and Fleishman's unsalted sticks I believe are as well (they have a lot of soy, which my son cannot tolerate). We love the Smart Balance, tastes just like butter.... at least what I remember butter tasting like, lol ;).
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

#9 Carolynmay2010

Carolynmay2010

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

hmm. well im not quite sure what to make of it. I have not fully understood my lab results. they said that I have an autoimmune reaction to cows milk. does this mean that milk will damage my intestines like gluten does?

Please could you let me know how you can be tested for an autoimmune reaction to ców's milk? As I understand it, this is quite different to an intolerance, and therefore does not show up in the usual food allergy tests?

Thank you so much for your help.

best wishes,

Carolyn

#10 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Please could you let me know how you can be tested for an autoimmune reaction to ców's milk? As I understand it, this is quite different to an intolerance, and therefore does not show up in the usual food allergy tests?

Thank you so much for your help.

best wishes,

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I am guessing they are referring to an IgG food allergy profile. There is a very good book on Celiac, Healthier Without Wheat http://tinyurl.com/2f3gtn8 which describes these tests. They can provide helpful information to guide those that have Celiac disease and are not improving.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: