This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wow! Pain In Left Side - What Happened?

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Help!

Tonight I had a very bad evening. As soon as I ate Honeysuckle white turkey breast tenderions I got a serve pain on my left side right under my ribcage. I only ate two bites & I didn't want to eat any more. I've been having this pain for a while now off & on, but tonight it was so much sharper. I did feel the pain was going away a little bit today until I ate the turkey. Has anyone ever gotten a reaction from these turkey breast tenderloins? I also get this serve pain when I ate Tyson frozen chicken breast.

Also, has anyone ever gotten these pains on their left side from the celiac disease? And if so what did you do to help these pains? I tried Pepito Bismol, but it only helped for an hour & I got "C" from it.

I've been gluten free for ten weeks, so I'm still healing. It seems like every time I eat the pains come back a little, but tonight it was horrible. I just took two bites & I was shaking from the pain. Do you think it was CC from the factory? Or maybe I'm allergic to turkey & chicken? :o But, I do eat Hillshire Turkey Breast Deli Meats with out any trouble. Maybe my stomach is so sensitive & maybe they're using some kind of additive? I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm not sure what to think.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I just called Honeysuckle & they told me there's no chance it was cross contaminated since their gluten items are in another factory. And they don't put any additives in their turkey breast tenderloins. I'm really scared. I think might be allergic to turkey & chicken now too. But why don't I feel so bad when I eat the turkey deli meats?

The pain in my left side really hurts. I feel horrible & my esophagus feels irritated, too.

I just feel like I'm running out of foods that I can tolerate.

What do they do for multiply food allergies?

TotalKnowledge Apprentice

Is the turkey the only thing you ate, or is it possible the reaction came from something else?

kayo Explorer

I get a pain in that area too. I call that spot my 'pissy colon' because that's where it seems to be. I have had that pain for years. For me it seems to be associated with cassein and not gluten. I am severely lactose intolerant but can tolerate a bit of cassein, like in cool whip or veggie cheese or coffee creamer. Nothing seems to make the pain better. It doesn't seem to be gas either. It's a weird discomfort.

Salax Contributor

I too get that pain in that area, it (for me) is due to casien. If eat alot of high casien-y foods, it always hurts right under my left ribcage area.

I hope you feel better and that you figure out the mystery. B)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

How severe is the pain? Have you talked to your doctor? If this is something that used to be once in a while and is now coming on more often and more severe you need to get this checked out. It is easy, especially in the beginning to think everything is gluten related when sometimes there may be another problem, nonfood related, going on. If you start to run a fever, the pain gets bad enough so you have trouble moving or start to sweat or get pale and weak do see a doctor ASAP, as in go to the ER.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for responding! I feel like I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

I did try Silk Milk for the first time at the same time, but I've been eating soy in Protein bars & it doesn't seem to bother me. Do you think it could be the Silk Milk? And I had Minute white rice & Delmonte corn. I pretty much got all the gluten items out of my kitchen, just except for some condiments but, I don't use them anyway. My kitchen is pretty much gluten free so I know it wasn't CC. And I know it happened as soon as I took the first bite.

I felt this pain with other foods like Tyson frozen chicken breast, Delmonte carrots & spinach. I'm just trying to make a list & see my doctor so I can talk to him about it. And just avoid the things that give me that pain. I guess i should go back to basic & use all fresh meats & vegs. Maybe I'm just not healed all the way & these processed foods are bothering me? I don't know? I hope I don't have all these intolerances. :(

The pain I had last night was about a six on a scale from 1-10. It has calmed down a lot since last night. I'm not running a fever & the pains are only coming on when i eat & stay on for an hour & sometimes longer.

Maybe an ulcer? I called my GI doc today & of course he never called me back -I'm getting used to it. I'm not crazy about him. I'm also going to see another GI doc three weeks from now, but I'm not sure if he would be able to do anything for me anyway.

I'm also having acid reflux too. I was on Prilosec & Prevacid & after 4 weeks I can't take them anymore. My stomach starts to hurt & suddenly I can't eat & I'm so skinny -I really need to eat. So, I had to stop taking them & I've just been taking TUMS only & avoiding dairy & eggs (it seems to make things worse).

I was thinking of trying HCI. I'm wondering if I don't have enough stomach acid? I did try Braggs apple cider vinegar tonight & it seemed to help with the bloating, but I think it made my throat feel worse.

Can anyone relate to this? I've been gluten free for three months now. Shouldn't I be feeling better by now? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Tigercat,

I suggest you consider an elimination diet. You may have other food intolerances besides gluten and you will need to identify those if present. I had left side pain for years before going gluten-free, and then it slowly went away. Later I discovered I had problems with carrots, and coffee and tea, and then recently garbanzo beans. Dairy I had trouble with for years before gluten-free though. I think you may have some food detective work to do! :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks everyone for responding! I feel like I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

I did try Silk Milk for the first time at the same time, but I've been eating soy in Protein bars & it doesn't seem to bother me. Do you think it could be the Silk Milk? And I had Minute white rice & Delmonte corn. I pretty much got all the gluten items out of my kitchen, just except for some condiments but, I don't use them anyway. My kitchen is pretty much gluten free so I know it wasn't CC. And I know it happened as soon as I took the first bite.

I felt this pain with other foods like Tyson frozen chicken breast, Delmonte carrots & spinach. I'm just trying to make a list & see my doctor so I can talk to him about it. And just avoid the things that give me that pain. I guess i should go back to basic & use all fresh meats & vegs. Maybe I'm just not healed all the way & these processed foods are bothering me? I don't know? I hope I don't have all these intolerances. :(

The pain I had last night was about a six on a scale from 1-10. It has calmed down a lot since last night. I'm not running a fever & the pains are only coming on when i eat & stay on for an hour & sometimes longer.

Maybe an ulcer? I called my GI doc today & of course he never called me back -I'm getting used to it. I'm not crazy about him. I'm also going to see another GI doc three weeks from now, but I'm not sure if he would be able to do anything for me anyway.

I'm also having acid reflux too. I was on Prilosec & Prevacid & after 4 weeks I can't take them anymore. My stomach starts to hurt & suddenly I can't eat & I'm so skinny -I really need to eat. So, I had to stop taking them & I've just been taking TUMS only & avoiding dairy & eggs (it seems to make things worse).

I was thinking of trying HCI. I'm wondering if I don't have enough stomach acid? I did try Braggs apple cider vinegar tonight & it seemed to help with the bloating, but I think it made my throat feel worse.

Can anyone relate to this? I've been gluten free for three months now. Shouldn't I be feeling better by now? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help!

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Did you check on the Tums to make sure they were a variety that are gluten free? Last time I checked not all of them were but that was quite a while ago. The suggestion for an elimination diet is a good one. You may want to see if you can find an allergist who can help you with one. Ask when you call for an appointment as not all do elimination diets. It might be a good idea if you can to call and see if your new GI can put you on the cancelation list so you might be able to get in there quicker. If you let them know you are unable to eat and losing weight they may be able to fit you in.

kayo Explorer

I read somewhere, maybe on these boards, that Tyson sometimes injects their chicken with a solution that contains gluten. This is important to know because some restaurants are supplied with Tyson products. The other is Tums. I had no idea that the Tums and chewable Gas-x that I was taking to lesson the effects of gas from gluten actually have gluten in them! I was fixing my gluten issues with more gluten! I have since switched to gluten free Gas-x pills (not chewable) and chewable Pepcid AC. Both work very well. The other thing I wanted to share was I just got my tests results from Enterolab and I was shocked to find I have a soy intolerance. In fact the number was higher than my gluten number. I didn't expect this at all. So I concur with the others. You may want to keep a food diary and begin and elimination diet. Good luck!

Harley0000 Rookie
Hi everyone,

I just called Honeysuckle & they told me there's no chance it was cross contaminated since their gluten items are in another factory. And they don't put any additives in their turkey breast tenderloins. I'm really scared. I think might be allergic to turkey & chicken now too. But why don't I feel so bad when I eat the turkey deli meats?

The pain in my left side really hurts. I feel horrible & my esophagus feels irritated, too.

I just feel like I'm running out of foods that I can tolerate.

What do they do for multiply food allergies?

Hello

BEfore I got diagnosed (positive blood & endo) I went to my doctor with a great number of symptoms that I had never had before; one being a severe pain on my left side under my rib cage. After being told I did have Celiac, he also said that I had a virus. I never heard of this so I am just quoting what he said. "a virus can cause imflamation of the tissue between the rib cage and cause great pain and discomfort". A virus can also bring out Celiac that may or may not have been brewing for a while. I had swelling of the esophagus and gastritis (probably because the Celiac had just made itself known) yet I was unaware of it and was eating all kinds of gluten filled foods. He put me on prescription Prilosec and a gluten free diet which really helped. Having said that: I have accidently gotten glutened and a few times... the left side pain has temporarily returned.

Sorry.. its probably not much help, but you are defintely NOT alone with the severe left side pain.

Good Luck

Harley

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

HI everyone,

Thanks so much for all the replies! You all are so helpful! I really feel all alone in figuring this out. The doctors are just not helpful with this.

I did call TUMS today & the TUMS Ultra 1,000 assorted fruit flavor are gluten free & they're the ones I've been taking. But, the TUMS Smoothies are not gluten free & some children varieties, too. So beware & call the company.

Also, I tried the Silk Milk today & my left side started hurting more. I'm really thinking it's soy. I have been eating Purfit bars (which have soy), some soy yogurt lately & the gluten free bread I buy also has soy in it. Maybe I just can't eat a lot of soy? I hope it's just a temporary thing. I'm running out of stuff to eat.

So, anyway, I'm thinking it was the turkey & the Silk Milk together that gave me that serve pain. I must be intolerant to both. :(

I also get allergy shots & I'm wondering if it's making my food allergies worse? I never had food problems before. I always ate whatever I felt like. Oh, the good ole days...

I'm seeing my allergy doc tomorrow so we'll see. I'm sure he'll say "no." Doctors are such idiots sometimes. My GI doctor finally had his nurse call me today, but they were no help at all & she told me it sounds like irritable bowel & just don't eat the turkey. Really?

I get so much more advice & great tips from all of you. You people are wonderful! Thanks!

Also, I was reading how antacids can make food allergies worse. Very interesting. I am trying to go with out the Tums & just avoid the foods that give me acid reflux. After all , i have been taking antacids for six months now & they aren't really helping me anyway.

I did try to see the new GI doctor sooner, but it might not work out. They don't have a cancellation list, but they took my name & number anyway.

But, I think I found my answer out tonight after I tried the Silk Milk. What a bummer.... :(

Archived