22 replies to this topic

#1 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

I have a recipe that calls for potato flour. Can you replace it with Arrowroot?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

I don't know, but I'm thinking of trying it.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Fallulah

Fallulah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

I was baking bread for Thanksgiving, and the recipe called for 1 cup potato starch. I only had about 2/3 cup, and wasn't going to stop and run to the store, so I filled out the cup with arrowroot starch. The bread turned out fine, I couldn't tell a difference from the last time I had made it. I'd say, go for it. :D

#4 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

Are you asking about potato flour or potato starch? There is a very big difference, and they are not interchangeable.

Subbing arrowroot for potato starch would work, but you may find the finished product is a bit dryer. Potato starch has moisturizing properties. I would not sub arrowroot for potato flour.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

Are you asking about potato flour or potato starch? There is a very big difference, and they are not interchangeable.

Subbing arrowroot for potato starch would work, but you may find the finished product is a bit dryer. Potato starch has moisturizing properties. I would not sub arrowroot for potato flour.

What about adding some applesauce when you do, then? What do you think? This is a serious problem for we potato starch intolerants because practically every recipe seems to contain potato starch.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#6 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

What about adding some applesauce when you do, then? What do you think? This is a serious problem for we potato starch intolerants because practically every recipe seems to contain potato starch.

How about using cornstarch? Or tapioca starch/flour? Sub starch for starch.
Posting recipes would help to figure out what to sub.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

The reason I am considering arrowroot is that most of the recipes call for tapioca starch and corn starch in addition to potato starch, so presumably the potato adds something that the others lack, so adding more of one to sub for the potato doesn't seem like it''s the right thing to do???
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

I was going to make a flour blend that called for 1 tablespoon of potato flour, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup tapioca flour and 1 cup rice flour. It may be to much effort. I may just go buy a premixed blend to make Santa some cookies. I ran out of Better Batter and have not ordered anymore. I have not been baking much, but when I do I have been using coconut, almond, buckwheat, sorghum, and brown rice flours mostly.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

So you are talking about potato flour, not starch. I would leave it out, but you may have to adjust the xanthan/guar in your recipe. You also might look for another way to add extra protein to compensate. Here is a page that may be of use to you.

http://www.livingwit...an10-flour.html

Tubers and Roots
Potato Flour Made from dehydrated potatoes, this fine yellow-white powder is high in fiber and protein. It can be used in place of xanthan gum or guar gum in gluten-free baking. It lends a soft, chewy mouth-feel to baked goods, homemade pasta, breads and pizza crust.

How to use: Add 2 to 4 tablespoons per recipe. Reduce or eliminate the gum ingredients accordingly.

Watch out for: A little goes a long way. Too much potato flour will create a gummy product. Don't confuse potato flour with potato starch, which is used in much larger quantities in recipes and has different baking properties.

-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

So you are talking about potato flour, not starch. I would leave it out, but you may have to adjust the xanthan/guar in your recipe. You also might look for another way to add extra protein to compensate. Here is a page that may be of use to you.

http://www.livingwit...an10-flour.html

Thanks for the clarification. I have learned something new today. I have been more eager to experiment with blending different flours/starches than I was a year ago.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#11 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

I was going to make a flour blend that called for 1 tablespoon of potato flour, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup tapioca flour and 1 cup rice flour. It may be to much effort. I may just go buy a premixed blend to make Santa some cookies. I ran out of Better Batter and have not ordered anymore. I have not been baking much, but when I do I have been using coconut, almond, buckwheat, sorghum, and brown rice flours mostly.

You can find your flour mix at http://www.eatingglutenfree.com
Its called Featherlite.
Bette Hagman has lots of recipes using that mix. Check out her cookie recipes.
I read on here that some don't add the potato FLOUR anymore. I stopped too. But now I mostly use sorghum mix. Sometimes the rice flour is nicer...like if you want whiter looking rolls.
I have made her chocolate chip cookies (called soft batch) many times and sugar cookies.
http://www.eatingglu...oftbatchcookies
same recipe found here:
http://www.recipezaar.com/244829
The choc chip cookies are my fave out of all the gluten-free recipes I tried. I use butter, 1 bag of choc chips, and the sorghum mix. They taste great! You could use the same dough and put in chopped M&M's, dried fruit, coconut....
You could sub the 1/4 cup flour with any one of those you listed.
IF you carefully place a few chips and nuts on top of each cookie...they will look like my pic! LOL!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

Bette Hagman has lots of recipes using that mix. Check out her cookie recipes.
I read on here that some don't add the potato FLOUR anymore. I stopped too. But now I mostly use sorghum mix. Sometimes the rice flour is nicer...like if you want whiter looking rolls.
I have made her chocolate chip cookies (called soft batch) many times and sugar cookies.
http://www.eatingglu...oftbatchcookies
same recipe found here:
http://www.recipezaar.com/244829
The choc chip cookies are my fave out of all the gluten-free recipes I tried. I use butter, 1 bag of choc chips, and the sorghum mix. They taste great! You could use the same dough and put in chopped M&M's, dried fruit, coconut....
You could sub the 1/4 cup flour with any one of those you listed.
IF you carefully place a few chips and nuts on top of each cookie...they will look like my pic! LOL!

If you wouldn't mind telling me, what all is in your sorghum mix? I've been partial to this lately.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#13 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

If you wouldn't mind telling me, what all is in your sorghum mix? I've been partial to this lately.

Sure:
1 1/2 cups sorghum
1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch or some of each
1 cup tapioca flour

#14 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Sure:
1 1/2 cups sorghum
1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch or some of each
1 cup tapioca flour

Thanks! Do you substitute cup for cup of wheat flour?

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#15 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

Thanks! Do you substitute cup for cup of wheat flour?

Yes I do, when I make cookies, muffins, sweet breads, cake and brownies...non yeast items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: