This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Women, Please Help.

Liveenjoylife

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

Women, is it possible that celiac disease can cause my period to come late?? Several months back I had a normal period two months in a row. Then by the third month it had come 6 days late and just as my period started I got flu like symptoms. Vomitting, body chills a fever the works. I was stuck in bed for a week. And just as quickly as it came, it stopped the moment my period ended. I had my suspitions of it stemming from celiac disease, so I was keeping track of it.

Again two months my period came right on time. Now, I am in my third month again and my period is 6 days late. It's even taking longer to get here. I still don't have it. I did bleed during ovulation. The blood was mixed in with it. I am afraid that if I am late like this again I might get that same exact flu symptoms. I might add I am NEVER late. I always come every 28 days. I did nothing out of the ordinary to have my period be so late and no I am not under any stress or even pregnant. So, do any other women experience this and does any one know if celiac disease can cause all of these problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I don't know about the celiac connection, but I can relate to periods being wacky. Before gluten free my periods came like clockwork every 28 days. I did have horrible pms symptoms that my husband said I was not fit to be around. Since gluten free the severe mood swings of pms have resolved (thank goodness), but my periods never come the same time. For awhile they would come every 26 days, I have had a few late, and recently the last one came on day 25. I am really thinking that my hormones are going a little haywire. I will be 37 next month and my mom thinks it could be perimenopause. Who knows. :huh:

Erin Elberson Newbie

I do not think it could be related to celiac-although I am sure we will continue to learn about the ramifications of the disease. I believe they are still researching any effects on hormone levels. Either way I would recommend seeing your gynecologist so they could do an exam and perhaps test hormone levels.

I hope you feel better soon.

mommida Enthusiast

It might be time to get your thyroid checked. Celiac has a connection to auto-immune thyroid diseases. Thyroid problems will cause your cycle to change/become irregular. Are you having any other symptoms that you have forgotten about? Dry skin, weight loss/gain, more or less sleep, any changes in your hair, the list of symptoms is very long.

klslynn Newbie
Women, is it possible that celiac disease can cause my period to come late?? Several months back I had a normal period two months in a row. Then by the third month it had come 6 days late and just as my period started I got flu like symptoms. Vomitting, body chills a fever the works. I was stuck in bed for a week. And just as quickly as it came, it stopped the moment my period ended. I had my suspitions of it stemming from celiac disease, so I was keeping track of it.

Again two months my period came right on time. Now, I am in my third month again and my period is 6 days late. It's even taking longer to get here. I still don't have it. I did bleed during ovulation. The blood was mixed in with it. I am afraid that if I am late like this again I might get that same exact flu symptoms. I might add I am NEVER late. I always come every 28 days. I did nothing out of the ordinary to have my period be so late and no I am not under any stress or even pregnant. So, do any other women experience this and does any one know if celiac disease can cause all of these problems?

I have the same exact problem, i've been late a lot and a few days before i get terrible flu like symptoms and usually once my period is done I feel a lot better. I get a low grade fever, sometime vomit, get very tired, chills, and I have been having blood sugar issues as well. it sure isnt fun to spend 1-2 weeks out of the month not feeling well. Sorry I dont have any info to offer but if you find out whats going on I would appreciate a reply.

Thank you

Archived