14 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

The last month or so I have been having chocolate cravings bad, I mean BAAADD. I have to eat something choclaty every day. I have a sugar sensitivity so I have to be really carefull how much I eat. But, dadgum it, this is getting to be rediculous.
Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there someting that i'm not getting in my diet? I'm taking my vitamins, folate, magnesium, etc. I eat a LOT of protein, salads, etc. Very wide variety, but not a lot of gluten free processed foods because I have gluten reactions with those too. I guess I am super sensitive.
I've been doing real good, last dr's visit, I am no longer anemic after 35 years, I have officially lost 30 lbs. Went from 205 to 175, WooHoo! And my cholesterol went from 285 down to 150. YES! My fibro has eased up some, my RA has eased up. My depression, anxiety, asthma and all of my stomach problems are gone. But this chocolate craving is driving me up the wall. I eat grapes, peanut butter, pears, oranges, I even eat honey but all of that still dosen't help. I can't eat apples or bananas, those seem to bother me.
Anyone have any clues? Thanks for listening.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

So why not eat some chocolate each day??? I do :D That is one craving that does not go away for me either. Even if it is only a chocolate biscotti... I don't see any harm ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Mysh

Mysh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:05 AM

You could try adding a multi vitamin that has Chromium in it. Chromium assists with cravings.

I have to say however, a bit of chocolate everyday sounds like a plan to me! :D
~Michelle~
Mother to 3 wonderful children. :)
Diagnosed Celiac through bloodwork January 2009. Celiac confirmed through Biopsy August 2009.

Current symptoms include extreme lethargy, headaches, anaemia, severe joint pain, upset stomach, swollen lymph nodes, brain fog and shortness of breath. I have also had all my teeth crowned due to enamel erosion.

DS - Age 19 -diagnosed PDD-NOS. Not willing to be tested as yet.
DD - Age 17 - Negative IGA. Positive HLA DQ2 & HLA DQ5. Not gluten-free outside of home.
DS - Age 6 - diagnosed with ASD. Tested negative to blood tests. Still needs gene testing done. Born 11 weeks early due to severe IUGR.

All pregnancies have been pre-eclamptic.

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:35 AM

If sugar is a worry, get some extra dark-85% chocolate-check the labels for sugar content, and dip it in coconut oil or unsweetened p.b.. Yum!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

Yep - I eat chocolate every day too. I like the Lindt 73% (I think that is the percentage - it's an odd number), and Wegman's 70% is pretty good. But I only have two squares.

I read some years ago that a sweet at the end of the meal marks the end of it in the brain...maybe that is just conditioning for this culture, but I'm not arguing! I just had a gluten free (woohoo) chocolate chip cookie to end my very early lunch, and I feel very satisfied and like the meal is over. :D So it's not all bad!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#6 Swimmr

Swimmr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

The last month or so I have been having chocolate cravings bad, I mean BAAADD. I have to eat something choclaty every day. I have a sugar sensitivity so I have to be really carefull how much I eat. But, dadgum it, this is getting to be rediculous.
Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? Is there someting that i'm not getting in my diet? I'm taking my vitamins, folate, magnesium, etc. I eat a LOT of protein, salads, etc. Very wide variety, but not a lot of gluten free processed foods because I have gluten reactions with those too. I guess I am super sensitive.
I've been doing real good, last dr's visit, I am no longer anemic after 35 years, I have officially lost 30 lbs. Went from 205 to 175, WooHoo! And my cholesterol went from 285 down to 150. YES! My fibro has eased up some, my RA has eased up. My depression, anxiety, asthma and all of my stomach problems are gone. But this chocolate craving is driving me up the wall. I eat grapes, peanut butter, pears, oranges, I even eat honey but all of that still dosen't help. I can't eat apples or bananas, those seem to bother me.
Anyone have any clues? Thanks for listening.

I say Enjoy Life's boom choco boom dark chocolate bars. OMG they are so good. I don't taste a difference in these in comparison to other dark chocolates...plus there is only three ingredients and it's ALL allergen free! If you have a local store that sells organic or gluten/wheat free stuff, they may carry it. Mine does! I wasn't supposed to, but during my last cycle (when I crave chocolate so bad it's insane) I bought a bar.

Check 'em out :)

Oh, on a side note, I looked up ingredients that are in Hershey's chocolate. My goodness, I am NOT sad that I cannot eat it anymore. I was grossed out when half the stuff contained the words, "brown or yellowish fatty substance..."
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

#7 flourgirl

flourgirl

Peaches

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Yep. Used to be I could have sweets around and not have any urge to splurge. Since going gluten-free I can't leave chocolate alone! I try to not keep any in the house...but I can't stand it. Gotta have it. I have no idea why. I didn't have any cravings when I was pregnant!!! (Of course...I was very ill for 8 months, too). I have never had a problem with cravings until the last year or so. I say...go with it! As long as you are not harming yourself :D
GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE
Theresa

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

There are mood altering chemicals (in small, but nontrivial, amounts) in chocolate. It may really just be you're craving chocolate because you haven't had chocolate. If you get a GOOD dark chocolate, a very small amount (like a quarter of a serving), eaten slowly (I never knew people chewed their chocolate - really - let it melt in your mouth instead) can be a great "fix" while giving you a handful (4-8g) of sugar. I like Endangered Species, Seeds of Change, Blanxart, and a number of other 'premium' chocolates that are mildly harder to find (Domori is my favorite).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

I eat the Lindt 73% also because it has no soy lecithin. :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone,
It's just irritating in a way because I never used to crave chocolate unless it was that time of the month. Now it's every day and I am tired of it and I never thought I would get to the point of not wanting any. I thought maybe there was something out there that would curb my cravings.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#11 inmygenes

inmygenes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Beware of Lindt it's not gluten free, unless it's different in NZ - it may contain traces of gluten due to a lot of their chocolate containing Barley.

Cote D'or is gluten free I just discovered and they do some great dark chocolate.

#12 inmygenes

inmygenes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

Me too..I know the feeling! I can easily munch my way through a large amount of chocolate in an afternoon! Maybe get your iron levels checked, I'm suspecting that's my problem. Also slight dehydration can be mistaken for hunger and sweet cravings.

I've just bought myself Cote D'or 85% cocoa bar and am hoping just having a square a day will pacify my cravings. One square contains 1.6 grams of sugar so maybe that would be okay for you? Chocolate has some good health and psychological benefits so maybe you just need those right now.

#13 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

Try the chocolate Lara Bars. They have no sugar, nothing on your avoid list and are all gluten-free. http://www.larabar.c...ocolate-coconut

The chocolate-coconut is good as is the Cocoa Mole. Or the Jocalot line, also made by LaraBars. http://www.larabar.com/food/jocalat/
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I second and third the chocolate Lara Bars. I can now find them here although I brought a bunch back with me, and they are my snack when I spend the day in town running errands (I live in a rural area).
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#15 Jean'sBrainonGluten

Jean'sBrainonGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Chocolate is yummy but I have to limit it or I still get acne. You might look at whether you're getting enough fat or just calories in general?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: