5 replies to this topic

#1 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

Since cutting out gluten, dairy, and nuts, I've noticed my body doesn't make noises. Besides the obvious ones (insert flatulence joke here), my stomach is quiet after I eat. No gurgles or rumbles. I feel like I went from a 1959 Chevy to a post-modern Lexus engine!

I also noticed my inside feel...well, flatter. I always felt a bit round when I sat, like my insides were doubling up on themselves. It didn't hurt, per se. I was just used to it. Now as I sit here typing this, my lower stomach and intestines feel flat and they more or less seem to "disappear" from my notice.

Curious if anyone else felt the same way, as it is hard to explain to people who do not understand, yet want to figure out why I'm eating the way I am.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nb-canada

nb-canada

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

I know exactly what you mean. No more gurgling stomach :D except if I get glutened. After the first couple of days gluten free my stomach felt nothing - it was very strange because I was always aware of my stomach and thought it was normal. My son had the same experience.

I just experienced a glutening on Froday and the gurgling is still bothering me today. Not nice! :(
Happy to be Gluten-Free!

#3 amberlynn

amberlynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yeah, even OTHER people have noticed my flatter stomach - which makes me feel kinda bad, but whatever. I had customers congratulating me on my recent pregnancy... <_< , and they felt awful when they learned my last one ended 2 years ago!!

I have been working out 3 times a week for 6 months, I couldn't lose any weight, my stomach didn't get any flatter, blah blah blah. Now its starting to finally work!

No longer starving all the time (i.e. I can go more than 2 hours w/out being hungry!!).
I no longer have constant, painful gas! yeah! I'm sure that goes along with the bloating. The amount of gas I had was horrible. It was worse than my husbands!! LOL!
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

#4 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:49 AM

LOL. I thought the title of this thread was a joke (like we can blame everything, even a badly running car on gluten!).

But yes, my tummy is much quieter. Not any flatter, though... I'm afraid I can't blame my fat entirely on gluten, although I am -slowly-slowly- losing weight since I've been gluten-free whereas I couldn't lose weight to save my life before. I do think becoming overweight had something to do with the gluten... not sure which was the chicken or the egg... because I was a perfectly OK weight and then gained 60 lbs over the course of a single year all the sudden and it was about 3 months after that finally plateaued that the digestive symptoms showed up. I've been gluten-free for about 2.5 years now and I'm "only" about 40 lbs overweight now.

I had a nasty stomach bug a couple weeks back and the noises in my tummy were so loud they kept me awake. Yuck. Never want to go back to that again.

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

bourbourygmi (excess noise in the intestines) and bloating are very common, CLASSIC signs of celiac disease. not surprising at all.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 fnord

fnord

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

Since cutting out gluten, dairy, and nuts, I've noticed my body doesn't make noises. Besides the obvious ones (insert flatulence joke here), my stomach is quiet after I eat. No gurgles or rumbles. I feel like I went from a 1959 Chevy to a post-modern Lexus engine!

I also noticed my inside feel...well, flatter. I always felt a bit round when I sat, like my insides were doubling up on themselves. It didn't hurt, per se. I was just used to it. Now as I sit here typing this, my lower stomach and intestines feel flat and they more or less seem to "disappear" from my notice.

Curious if anyone else felt the same way, as it is hard to explain to people who do not understand, yet want to figure out why I'm eating the way I am.

Yes, indeed, I know exactly what you mean. Same goes for me. Your mention of nuts, however, is disappointing as I am still dealing with the rumbles of a 1959 Chevy even when I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten gluten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: