5 replies to this topic

#1 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

I bought a package of Living Harvest Hempmilk. right before I poured it, I double checked the ingredients and it said brown rice syrup. Isn't that on the gluten list? I went to the web site and it looks like it is from the "old" line of hemp milk not the new "TEMPT" line. It hasn't expired yet and I'm in a small town, so it makes sense it has been sitting on the shelf for a while. The website does not say gluten free, but the box does. The dishonesty with the other brand of rice milk has me paranoid I guess.

What do you folks know about the gluten status?

SGW

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

I bought a package of Living Harvest Hempmilk. right before I poured it, I double checked the ingredients and it said brown rice syrup. Isn't that on the gluten list? I went to the web site and it looks like it is from the "old" line of hemp milk not the new "TEMPT" line. It hasn't expired yet and I'm in a small town, so it makes sense it has been sitting on the shelf for a while. The website does not say gluten free, but the box does. The dishonesty with the other brand of rice milk has me paranoid I guess.

What do you folks know about the gluten status?

SGW

I used Living Harvest daily for ages and never had a gluten problem with it.

Jeanne

P.S. - Where did you find an old box? I loved the old stuff - the new stuff, not so much! Now I use Pacific brand hemp milk; it tastes like Living Harvest used to taste, and I completely trust them as far as gluten goes.

#3 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

I used Living Harvest daily for ages and never had a gluten problem with it.

Jeanne

P.S. - Where did you find an old box? I loved the old stuff - the new stuff, not so much! Now I use Pacific brand hemp milk; it tastes like Living Harvest used to taste, and I completely trust them as far as gluten goes.

My local Kroger had it. They had it on sale on an endcap of the health food section. It expires at the end of January. Thanks for the heads up on Pacific Coast. I'll have to see if my Kroger carries it.

#4 summerteeth

summerteeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

I bought the TEMPT kind (I didn't realize it used to be something else). I just wanted to try something new. And it was chunky! I really only used it in coffee... blech!
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

#5 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

I bought the TEMPT kind (I didn't realize it used to be something else). I just wanted to try something new. And it was chunky! I really only used it in coffee... blech!

Yeah, I can't imagine WHAT Living Harvest what thinking with the new recipe! Try Pacific - it's WAY yummy for lattes. :)

Jeanne

#6 valeriemates

valeriemates

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

I think brown rice syrup is safe -- it's just rice, isn't it? I've bought Lundeberg brand, and I know that that brand is very careful about being gluten-free.

However, I recently discovered that my toddler and I react to hempmilk. I read that hemp seeds are grown by farmers who also grow barley, so I guess some cross-contamination must be occurring. I ran across someone online who use a home gluten test kit to test a bunch of brands of hempmilk for gluten, and she said they all came up positive and were a big problem for her and her family.

Sigh....

-Valerie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: