This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Coping When I Accidently Get Gluten

stephkb

stephkb Rookie

I was diagnosed with celiac in October and was doing well with the gluten free diet until I went to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, we had to drive for two days, eat on the road, eat a week and a half of meals away from home, and I am not sure how many times I got gluten while on traveling but it was at least once or twice. I then came home and accidentally got gluten from one of my pans I should have tossed but missed when I cleaned out my pantry. I seem to be very sensitive to gluten now, I think I've reacted to food with cross contamination a couple of times and am getting frustrated, as I feel that I am trying really hard to keep gluten out of my diet yet I keep getting it from somewhere.

Is there anything I can do to help me feel better when I get gluten?

Also, do you have any tips for being away from home and eating gluten free, I have to travel again at Christmas and am dreading it. I already sent back some gluten free snacks and bread for myself, but am scared about eating out and eating with people who don't normally cook gluten free. Everyone has been very nice about trying to accommodate me, but I am still very nervous after my experiences at Thanksgiving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast
I was diagnosed with celiac in October and was doing well with the gluten free diet until I went to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, we had to drive for two days, eat on the road, eat a week and a half of meals away from home, and I am not sure how many times I got gluten while on traveling but it was at least once or twice. I then came home and accidentally got gluten from one of my pans I should have tossed but missed when I cleaned out my pantry. I seem to be very sensitive to gluten now, I think I've reacted to food with cross contamination a couple of times and am getting frustrated, as I feel that I am trying really hard to keep gluten out of my diet yet I keep getting it from somewhere.

Is there anything I can do to help me feel better when I get gluten?

Also, do you have any tips for being away from home and eating gluten free, I have to travel again at Christmas and am dreading it. I already sent back some gluten free snacks and bread for myself, but am scared about eating out and eating with people who don't normally cook gluten free. Everyone has been very nice about trying to accommodate me, but I am still very nervous after my experiences at Thanksgiving.

When I get glutened, the only thing that seems to help is to drink more water and take a bath in Epsom salt. Still, it doesn't take it away. Only time does that, unfortunately.

As for your having a difficult time not cheating, I am going to post here something that I posted in another thread earlier:

Depravation isn't cool. It might help to try new recipes or purchase some gluten-free items that help you feel like you're part of the group . . . and have them ready for the next time you might want to cave in and eat what the family is eating.

What are your biggest weaknesses and what can you purchase / travel with / or make that will give you similar satisfaction to the foods that tempt you to cheat?

Two things that are helping me a lot right now:

1- Letting people know that they shouldn't feel bad if I bring my own food to a get-together at their house. When I explain to them that I am so sensitive that I even have to have a dedicated can opener, their eyes pop open and they begin to understand. I ask them to PLEASE not try to do anything for me, and I explain that the risk of cross contamination is just too great . . . however, if they'd like to pour me a glass of wine, fine! I let them know that what really matters is being with them. Then I bring whatever I want and enjoy the heck out of it.

2- Talking restaurants that are not certified gluten-free into letting me bring my own food. I nicely let them know that they will have a table full of people if I can bring my own food . . . if not, we'll have to go elsewhere.

So far, I have had only one restaurant say no to me.

It helps to fit the food to the restaurant. If we go out for Mexican, I bring my own Mexican.

As odd as it sounds: There is something very liberating about going with the gluten-free flow and not trying to fit in by eating like everyone else. It takes some pre-planning, but it is worth it.

Two things happen: First, you can relax knowing that you can eat what you want without having to worry about getting sick. Second, those around you will take your gluten-intolorance more seriously and respect your needs.

Right now, I'm eating mostly whole foods only . . . however, I'm going to a family pizza / holiday cookie party in a couple weeks. I'm going to forget about my diet that night and buy a good gluten-free pizza, make it at home and bring it along. And for dessert? You guessed it, gluten-free cookies. I'll still be part of the group, but while being my own best friend.

If you'd like to view the thread this came from, it is at: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=64333

The person who started the thread has similar issues with cheating. You might find it interesting.

I would add that while traveling, remember that a grocery store is often as easy to stop at as a fast food restaurant.

Also, there are some chains that offer gluten-free menus. It helps to learn them. Outback Steakhouse is one of them.

Hope this helps.

stephkb Rookie

Thanks for the tips, that is a good idea about it at restaurants. And thanks for the tip on taking a bath with Epsom salt.

I haven't actually purposely cheated, I have just accidentally gotten gluten while eating out or with family who thought they had cooked gluten free but did not actually do so. Everyone is well intentioned, and I supervised as much as possible, but I was staying in their homes and they cooked for me. I'm not sure what it was that was cooked that made me sick, and after a week of being there I am not ever sure how many times I ate things with gluten in them, but it was never on purpose, and I really was trying to avoid it. I also ate at a restaurant while home with a gluten free menu, and ordered off of it, the manager assured me they knew how to do gluten free, but my waitress was new and didn't know what she was doing, I requested corn tortillas and got flour, sent them back. I think for now I am going to try to avoid eating out or bring my own food like you suggested until I figure things out better.

When I get glutened, the only thing that seems to help is to drink more water and take a bath in Epsom salt. Still, it doesn't take it away. Only time does that, unfortunately.

As for your having a difficult time not cheating, I am going to post here something that I posted in another thread earlier:

Depravation isn't cool. It might help to try new recipes or purchase some gluten-free items that help you feel like you're part of the group . . . and have them ready for the next time you might want to cave in and eat what the family is eating.

What are your biggest weaknesses and what can you purchase / travel with / or make that will give you similar satisfaction to the foods that tempt you to cheat?

Two things that are helping me a lot right now:

1- Letting people know that they shouldn't feel bad if I bring my own food to a get-together at their house. When I explain to them that I am so sensitive that I even have to have a dedicated can opener, their eyes pop open and they begin to understand. I ask them to PLEASE not try to do anything for me, and I explain that the risk of cross contamination is just too great . . . however, if they'd like to pour me a glass of wine, fine! I let them know that what really matters is being with them. Then I bring whatever I want and enjoy the heck out of it.

2- Talking restaurants that are not certified gluten-free into letting me bring my own food. I nicely let them know that they will have a table full of people if I can bring my own food . . . if not, we'll have to go elsewhere.

So far, I have had only one restaurant say no to me.

It helps to fit the food to the restaurant. If we go out for Mexican, I bring my own Mexican.

As odd as it sounds: There is something very liberating about going with the gluten-free flow and not trying to fit in by eating like everyone else. It takes some pre-planning, but it is worth it.

Two things happen: First, you can relax knowing that you can eat what you want without having to worry about getting sick. Second, those around you will take your gluten-intolorance more seriously and respect your needs.

Right now, I'm eating mostly whole foods only . . . however, I'm going to a family pizza / holiday cookie party in a couple weeks. I'm going to forget about my diet that night and buy a good gluten-free pizza, make it at home and bring it along. And for dessert? You guessed it, gluten-free cookies. I'll still be part of the group, but while being my own best friend.

If you'd like to view the thread this came from, it is at: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=64333

The person who started the thread has similar issues with cheating. You might find it interesting.

Hope this helps.

Archived