27 replies to this topic

#1 tmack

tmack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

This is the second time I have been glutened by Amy's. I do not say this lightly, After I felt better I ate anything new from that day(wanted to make sure of the source). I have eaten there NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS frozen meals three times, two of which I was glutened. It was not severe, I was only sick for 2 days, with the lingering gut problems for 8 days. If I get a lot of gluten it will take me out for 5 days or so( plus the lingering gut problems). Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, or is it just me?

I'm wondering if it is some other kind of food that I'm having problems with. I have to watch my lactose, but my symptoms were just like being glutened?

Thanks for any help ;)
Trina
Thanks , Trina

positive Celiac biopsy & blood test 07-2009
lactose problems
PCOS since 2002

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Piccolo

Piccolo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Trina,

Yes, Amy's got me too. :o It was some time ago. I had a delayed response and the room was spinning for 6 hours. I'm never touching anything by that company again.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#3 Northern Celiac

Northern Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

This is the second time I have been glutened by Amy's. I do not say this lightly, After I felt better I ate anything new from that day(wanted to make sure of the source). I have eaten there NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS frozen meals three times, two of which I was glutened. It was not severe, I was only sick for 2 days, with the lingering gut problems for 8 days. If I get a lot of gluten it will take me out for 5 days or so( plus the lingering gut problems). Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, or is it just me?

I'm wondering if it is some other kind of food that I'm having problems with. I have to watch my lactose, but my symptoms were just like being glutened?

Thanks for any help ;)
Trina

Trina, there can be hidden sources of gluten in amy's products. I know from reasearch and from personal experience with other products. If you can get a copy you need to read a book called dangerous grains. It explains about hidden sources of gluten

#4 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for any help ;)
Trina

My G.I. warned me about Amy's, his wife and son are celiac and he said they had issue's with Amy's.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#5 6ft6

6ft6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

I can count on Amy's to make me sick every time. So now I don't buy the products. I despise the ccompany.

#6 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

I stopped eating Amy's after my first year with the disease (I'm on year 6)...it never failed that every time I ate it I'd get sick. While I appreciate their effort to be "gluten-free"...it still makes me wonder what it is making so many people still sick!

#7 Glamour

Glamour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I ate some Amy's gluten-free dinners also and was itchy. But my ankles were swollen also, so I though it was too much salt in them.

I heard that Trader Joes carries some dinners that are made by amy's, don't know if it is true.

No more Amy's for me, too expensive, I only bought them because they were on sale.

#8 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

I had a severe reaction immediately after ingesting their products. So yes, I agree - definitely something in those meals!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#9 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

Yes, Amy's stuff also makes me not feel good. It's been ages but I remember being glutened by them a long time ago. I stay away from ANY processed foods now.

#10 AnneM

AnneM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

Yes I have been glutened twice by Amys frozen dinners, It's a shame because they are something quick and tasty to eat. I am not buying them anymore. :(
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease on March 27, 2006 via blood and biopsy.
Diverticulitis
Hiatial Hernia
Acid Reflux
H-Pylori
Colectomy and appendix removed June 5, 2008

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Just thought I would chime in to say that I do not get sick from Amy's food BUT I have never really eaten the ones that say "no gluten ingredients." Plus, I also only eat the dairy-free ones.

#12 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

In the past, I have reacted to Amy's. I contacted them and they were incredibly great to deal with. They sent a sample off to the lab at the University of Nebraska for me to be tested from a batch I reacted to. It came back at 33 ppm.

I now eat their rice crust pizza because it is never a problem for me.

You may react to their products, but at least they are one of the honest, upfront companies that discloses ALL their ingredients and manufacturing processes. The products labeled "no gluten ingredients" do not have gluten but any processed food is subject to CC.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#13 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

My son reacted to their rice pizza once. I called them and it had been tested to contain less than 5 ppm gluten. I was disappointed to find out that my son is so sensitive to trace levels of gluten.

#14 Mey Marie

Mey Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for any help ;)
Trina

It's not just you. My friend has the same problem with Amy's. It sucks because they really have some great stuff.

#15 Mey Marie

Mey Marie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

Trina,

Yes, Amy's got me too. :o It was some time ago. I had a delayed response and the room was spinning for 6 hours. I'm never touching anything by that company again.

Susan

That's it. I am going to write the company. I think we all should. This is not OK. If they want to say in business, They need all of us. If they start to lose the people who use celiac.com Then they are losing a large part of there customer base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: