This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Parties

rebe09

rebe09 Contributor

The holiday parties are upon us and I just got word that at my big family gathering BBQ beef will be the main course---Oh, how sweet! :( Anyone have another alternative for me, so I can fit slightly in with what the family is eating?! Something similar to the BBQ beef or another main course that will be filling and not look too different from the rest. :)

Happy Holidays!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NewGFMom Contributor

What is it in BBQ Beef that you can't have? Most BBQ sauce is gluten free. Can't you just request a specific brand of whomever is making it, or you can make your own.

Here's my recipe:

1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (The bottle of Lea and Perrins I have is gluten-free, but check the label, they change the formula from time to time)

1 tablespoon wheat free soy sauce (such as Tamari)

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. For beef, I love to take a good sized bottom round roast, cover with a bottle of the sauce and cook all day (8-10 hours on low) in the crock pot. Absolutely delicious! :)

For another meal, you can add a large sliced onion, sliced carrots and cubed potatoes to the pot. It's our favorite way to do pot roast.

lovegrov Collaborator

You should check howe the beef is done. Most BBQ and BBQ sauces I know of are gluten-free.

richard

elle's mom Contributor
I use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. For beef, I love to take a good sized bottom round roast, cover with a bottle of the sauce and cook all day (8-10 hours on low) in the crock pot. Absolutely delicious! :)

For another meal, you can add a large sliced onion, sliced carrots and cubed potatoes to the pot. It's our favorite way to do pot roast.

I big thumbs up for this idea.....we LOVE Sweet Baby Rays at our house, and we use Bristol/Bertille Buns (they recently had a name change) for the perfect BBQ beef sandwich.....MMMMM; I think I'll make this sometime soon:)

lcbannon Apprentice

We usually cook a roast in a crockpot all one day with potatoes etc then on 2nd day I put it back in with Curley's BBQ sauce (I am in Kansas) it may be regional- but cook for a few more hours and you have heaven. Sweet Baby Ray is great too.

rebe09 Contributor

I am so glad I posted this because I was under the impression that BBQ sauce is a no-no. Great to know that "most" are gluten free. Very exciting! I talked with the BBQ beef cooker and she will be letting me know what she puts in it. Thanks. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethJ Rookie
I am so glad I posted this because I was under the impression that BBQ sauce is a no-no. Great to know that "most" are gluten free. Very exciting! I talked with the BBQ beef cooker and she will be letting me know what she puts in it. Thanks. :)

Just be careful to read the labels as some contain soy sauce. :angry: I learned this the hard way when Stubb's BBQ sauce changed their recipe. I had been using Stubb's for years and never had a problem and then all the sudden, I was sick. The next day I was trying to figure out what happened and that's when I remembered opening a new bottle of Stubb's at dinner. I looked at the label and sure enough, they had added soy sauce. I had the old bottle in the recycling bin and the ingredients did not list soy sauce. It was our favorite BBQ sauce and made me angry that they would ruin something so good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.