Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Balsamic Vinegar And Soy Sauce?

5 posts in this topic

I'm very new to a gluten-free diet and am trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. Is balsamic vinegar generally gluten-free? I saw "caramel coloring" on one, and I know that's risky. If it is a brand-by-brand issue, does anyone know of specific brands that are safe?

Also, I know that many soy sauces have wheat -- does anyone have recommendations for soy sauces that do not?

Thanks for your help!

Ads by Google:

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
[Emphasis in original]

Soy Sauce: La Choy soy sauce and San-J wheat free Tamari

Although some folks have said on here that balsamic vinegar COULD contain gluten, I have yet to see anybody list one that does. As for soy sauces, La Choy, Kroger brand and San-J wheat-free tamari are gluten-free. The San J is more expensive but IMO it's the best of the bunch.

richard