This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Want To Stop Losing Weight!

BungalowBill

BungalowBill Newbie

Hello!

I have been following a wheat & gluten free diet since being diagnosed as a Celiac in April this year.

I have read lots of differing reports of people both losing and gaining weight since going gluten free, but the problem I have is I think I am losing too much weight.

I put the weight loss down to giving up fast foods and processed foods that were the staple of my diet before - no more McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza and Kebabs for me - they would have been at least 4 or 5 of my weekly lunch or dinner meals. I'm also walking to work and back three days a week (3 miles a day) which I never used to do.

I started the year at about 216 pounds and I am now about 188 pounds. The first three or four months after going gluten free I lost it very slowly, but then it started coming off faster, and I not sure how to make it stop!

At 5'10" tall (178cm) the "ideal" weight for me is supposedly 156 pounds, so in theory I have a way to go yet, but I last weighed that much about 12 years ago, and when I look back at photos of me then, I look too thin and gaunt. So I want to stop losing weight round about where I am now!

What diet tips are there that can give me a boost? Do other members have similar stories of weight loss, controllable or otherwise? How can I change my calorie intake, and what sort of foods are good for me?

Bill.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

I am in the same boat so don't have any tips for you. I am eager to see what advise you get from others.

About 18 months ago I was tested for food sensitivities and went on an elimination/rotation diet. I started losing weight. After six months of this, my system crashed. It took way too long to find out I had hyperparathyroidism, which could have contributed to my weight loss. I had surgery for that and was expecting to gain back some weight. I personally feel that I have been gluten intolerant for about 15 years but that the hyperparathyroidism really made my gluten intolerance worse. I am 5'8" and weight 135-138 pounds. I am concerned about losing more weight and would actually like to gain up to 10 pounds. I lost four sizes which I find scary. I was thin in high school (over 35 years ago) but don't remember wearing a size 8 back then.

Right now I am avoiding gluten, soy, dairy and eggs. Sure not much left to gain weight on other than drinking a bottle of vegetable oil. I've been told that I don't process fats so I'm sure that would just pass right through me. I was hoping that by avoiding the gluten, soy, eggs and dairy that I am sensitive to that I would heal, start processing the fats and gain enough weight to feel healthy.

People tell me I look so good. I wish I felt that good!

Others please bring on the weight gaining tips!

• 1 month later...
Erin Elberson Newbie

Jackay you definitely have a bit of a challenge if you can't tolerate fats, since healthy fats are an easy way to get in some caloric density. However here's some ideas:

-Bill, if you can, try eating a few handfuls of mixed nuts through the day, whatever you like. Pumpkin seeds and walnuts are rich in omega-3's, almonds in Vitamin E, and brazil nuts in selenium. Try some fresh-ground almond or peanut butter. These are very calorie dense foods, so this alone may be enough to halt the weight loss.

As far as gaining:

-Try to increase your protein and carbohydrate intake. Rices, quinoa, yams/sweet potato, white potato, corn, peas are all naturally gluten free complex carb sources. Also gluten free oats. I find I can put away a good bit of rice without getting full, if that is an issue. Proteins-chicken, turkey, beef, etc. Salmon, eggs (not you Jackay :), etc. Increase portions and/or meal frequency. Bill-cheeses/cottage cheese/greek yogurt.

Hope this helps a bit!

BackTalk Rookie

Hello all.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with celiac disease. I went on a gluten-free diet the same day. Stayed true to the diet for 2 years but started loosing weight at a fast rate. I am male, 6' and in the beginning weighed around 180. During the 2 years I stayed gluten-free I had lost 30 lbs. and nothing I could do would stop the loss. I had every test and treatment known to man I think, and other than having celiac disease everything was fine. To make a long story short I had had enough of the gluten-free diet crap and fell right off the wagon. I eat anything and a ton of it. Had several big meals a day and snacked in between. I still lost weight but evened out for a long time at about 145, but with the gluten back in my diet I felt like crap.

Now it gets good. I am down to 105 now and still not gluten-free. One more problem. My intestine perforated this past October and now am wearing an Colostomy bag. It can be reversed thankfully but not for 6 more months. I am trying to get back on a gluten-free diet but am having a very hard time doing it.

I guess the moral of this story is, no matter what, don't give up your diet because it can and will get worse.

We still don't know why I am loosing weight. Anyway that's my story.

Jess

jackay Enthusiast

I have actually put on some weight since Christmas. I would be very happy to stay at my current weight right now.

I think I'm finally getting some nutrients out of what I eat, too. The terrible D is gone. Now, to work on the sleep.....

jackay Enthusiast

I was tested for other food intolerances and found lots more that I'm not suppose to eat. Unfortunately, the weight is coming off again.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I feel your pain. I was underweight before I went gluten free and now it's getting out of control. I won't post my current weight, as I'm afraid I may cause heart attacks in you all, but I will say I weight significantly less than many women with eating disorders. It's scary. I've always had a very high metabolism and haven't ever weighed very much, but now that I'm not eating out anymore, my weight is going downhill. McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell were the things that actually kept my weight under control. I don't know what to do, really. I eat a lot of nuts, like cashews, almonds, etc. I'm trying, but this diet is just too HEALTHY! ;)

*crossing my fingers and hoping that someone here knows the answer!*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived