This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Macadamian Nut Or Amaranth Bread?

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Hi all! I'm looking for some recipes--

Anybody have one for white chocolate macadamian nut cookies?

Or one for a non-yeast bread using amaranth flour?

Thanks!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BellyTimber

:)

This isn't an answer so I apologise, but is amaranth similar in the way it works to quinoa? If so does the following shed any light?

In a book by Lisa Lewis two recipes are quoted from one Karyn Seroussi, one is for muffins, the other for mini sandwich rolls, neither contains any yeast.

I haven't tried them out yet but I need to go easy on the yeast myself so I shall do, perhaps in a few months (am still at a very basic stage of "home economics" as yet but enjoy collecting and thinking about recipes).

The flour element in both is:

1/2 cup quinoa flour (chickpea flour is mentioned as alternative in the rolls)

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1/2 cup potato starch

(let me know if I should give further detail)

As quinoa would seem to be used for its protein value (like chickpea), is amaranth also protein rich?

Forgive my intruding if this is not relevant.

Hopefully our friends will have a more obvious recipe :rolleyes:

jenvan Collaborator

Michael-

Hmmmm... interesting thoughts. It is good to take time to "think" about gluten-free cooking--it is definitely a more 'precarious' process than regular bread baking... Amaranth is also high in protein, second only to quinoa I found. Might be a good substitute. What is the rest of the recipe?? I did go online one more time and found this recipe below (sounds a bit convoluted..but its all we've got!). Also, you may like this site--has brief info on all the non-traditional flours:

//www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,303,00.html

Perhaps we'll perfect our own recipe ... ;)

"Pancakes/Flatbread

1/2 cup nuts, ground, 1 cup amaranth flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 or 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey, 1 1/4 cups water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice OR 2 teaspoons cream of tarter, 2 tablespoons oil*

Grind nuts in blender about 15 seconds. Combine with other dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Without washing it, combine liquids in blender; blend 10 seconds (or mix in small bowl) and stir into dry mixture. Cook pancakes on preheated, ungreased, non-stick griddle or frypan.** When bubbly and brown, turn.*** As batter thickens you may need to add another tablespoon or two of water to keep cakes thin (should be no more than 1/4 inch thick). Yields 24 four inch cakes.

*Whenever possible coordinate oil with nuts, i.e. almonds and almond oil, walnuts with walnut oil or peanuts with peanut oil. With other nuts use safflower or sunflower oil.**This formula does not do well on stainless steel surfaces; pancakes get torn in turning and pan is difficult to clean. Non- stick works best.***If you want to use pancakes as flatbread, remove to wire racks to cool. When cold, stack, wrap, and refrigerate. May toast in a toaster oven or place on wire racks on cookie sheets in moderate oven for a few minutes. Make mini sandwiches; try sliced chicken or turkey garnished with mayo, lettuce and tomato. "

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BellyTimber

Was browsing in a shop and looked at a bag of "Allos" (German-based) amaranth grains and they suggested (after milling your own!) combine with other flours in the proportion of 20 to 25 per cent.

The other recipe I posted suggests one may go up to 33 per cent which was presumably because the pootato and tapioca mentioned were starches rather than flours (if it makes any differentce with them) so at least we know what ball park

Guest BellyTimber

1.Thank you for that marvellous web page on flours.

2. Rest of that recipe (am trying to not break copy right of these good folks; L. Lewis' book is pubd by Future Horizons Inc., Arlington, TX.)

I told you the flour & starch already.

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoon baking powder

one egg

half cup milk

half cup oil

Heat oven to 400 deg.

Beat oil and milk together.

Separately, mix dry ingred., then add the liquid to the dry ingred. Combine till only just mixed but don't overly beat.

Spoon onto cookie sheet or ungreased muffin tin, bake approx 20 - 25 mins. to golden brown. They will puff up.

Freeze or store airtight.

Sounds like a slightly sponge-cakey type of roll but there you are.

Haven't tried it yet but maybe it's one of the first things I shall - a friend helped me put up some nice shelves yesterday. Have filled them with pots & tins from the kitchen but the kitchen is still full up - how does that happen!!!

Japsnoet Explorer

Jen

Mireille is an excellent baker she recently posted gluten-free White Chocolate chunk-macadamia nut cookies recipe on www.delphiforums.com click on Health and wellness and click on Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group She post for free about 10 or more recipes daily. I use most of her recipes. I hardly even use my gluten-free cookbooks these days. Have a look under gluten-free Recipes click on it and then at the top of the page click on advanced search type in White Chocolate chunk-macadamia nut cookies or look under the Best of Mireille. She owns her own gluten-free restaurant in Canada she knows what she talking about. She is really helpful and a very creative cook. She is great in helping changes gluten recipes into great gluten-free recipes. She has really made baking fun again. :P

jenvan Collaborator

hey! thanks for the info! those recipes are great. i am a member of delphi, but i never end up going on...i should. thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived