This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello From Oklahoma

Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Newbie

Well I found you thanks to a good book called the Gluten-Free diet. I have read the entire book in a day and found hopefully many answers.

My history is I have had abdominal pain for years and it is only getting worse. I have had numerous cat scans and was even hospitalized for 6 days a few years ago....noone could figure it out! My maternal aunt was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, my maternal grandmother died from malignant colon cancer, there are numerous people on my mothers side whom have died from cancers, they had arthritis, thyroid issues, heart issues etc.....My mother died 5 years ago almost from unexplained issues. My family has issues with depression, anxiety, and ADHD, diabetes.

I look back and remember my grandmothers bathroom smelling horrible when she was done in there a smell that would linger. One of my maternal aunt's now deceased, had several autoimmune disorders.

I have lived with diarrhea, constipation, pain, fatigue, horrible gas, headaches, joint pain, smelly stool exactly like my grandmothers, and all the sudden my teath are in decline. I am needing to get several fillings. Also my concentration is awful and I spend great amounts of time in the restroom almost directly after eating. Sometimes it feels like my intestines are on fire.Also I have been trying to have a baby with no success for over two years, my cousin has one child and has been unable to conceive again and has been trying for over 10 years now.

I'm allergic to a lot of things, MSG, Grain dust, mold, mildew, pollen etc... They never tested me for food allergies other than the MSG. I have lost 8 immediate family members in the last four years and my own health I feel is in jeopardy. Could I have Celiac disease? Is this possible? Any help would be great. I am currently unemployed without insurance so testing at this point would not be an option.

Thank you,

Deedra in Oklahoma

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I think that this belongs in the pre-diagnosis forum, so I am moving it there.

Your symptoms are consistent with celiac disease, but could also have other causes. Since testing is not an option, I would suggest that you try the gluten-free diet and see what happens. If your health improves on the diet, you don't need a doctor with an official diagnosis to confirm what you body is telling you.

Ivyblaze Newbie
I think that this belongs in the pre-diagnosis forum, so I am moving it there.

Your symptoms are consistent with celiac disease, but could also have other causes. Since testing is not an option, I would suggest that you try the gluten-free diet and see what happens. If your health improves on the diet, you don't need a doctor with an official diagnosis to confirm what you body is telling you.

Thank you sooo much! What are the general costs for the blood work to be done? Does anyone know? At this point I am just glad to "maybe" have an answer. My significant other has no health problems and he loves anything fried....I'm so afraid I am going to be fixing two seperate meals every night which is more cost and more time spent. Can you make traditional southern foods celiac friendly? Are gluten free foods more expensive than regular?

At this point I have so many questions and few answers. Last night we had chicken fried steak, baked potato, macaroni and cheese, green beans and hot rolls and I paid for it....almost immediately after I was in the bathroom and uncomfortable the rest of the night....today I am still paying for it...

Jestgar Rising Star

I can't tell you how much the blood tests would cost, but seriously, you don't need them. Change your diet and see if you feel better. What you eat is under your control. You will undoubtly get a variety of opinions on this, but mine is - why pay for something that you can do for free?

Ivyblaze Newbie
I can't tell you how much the blood tests would cost, but seriously, you don't need them. Change your diet and see if you feel better. What you eat is under your control. You will undoubtly get a variety of opinions on this, but mine is - why pay for something that you can do for free?

I was looking at the cost of gluten free food and man it is expensive stuff! I looked at my local grocery store and they sure did not seem to have much available. I know there are more options on things I can try and have than what they showed surely. How long do you think it takes being on the diet to see results one way or the other? If it helps me I will definately stick with it...

Jestgar Rising Star

I had results immediately, some people say it took weeks...

I don't buy any specialty foods, just basic fruits, veggies and meats. If you think about it, the wheat based stuff is mainly cheap filler. You can skip the substitutes and be healthier for it.

Archived