This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vegan Celiacs?

Emme999

pdx.lila Rookie

I was a vegetarian for my first 20 years (Because my parents are,not for any moral or health reasons) but when I went on a study abroad program and subsequently found out about my Celiac, I started eating meat. I started eating it because I find it really hard to be vegetarian with all the restrictions being gluten free puts on me (I am INCREDIBLY sensitive and can't eat anything I don't make from scratch myself). I've recently had to cut out dairy due to a lactose intolerance caused by the celiac but I've been eating chicken, some fish and other seafood. I've found that it's just a tastier whole food option because I can't eat any sauces and I haven't developed a lot that I like, a lot of meats taste good with just some olive oil & garlic, whereas I think eating tofu all the time requires more interesting sauces. Don't get me wrong, tofu is one of my favorite foods,but in my experience, it's been really hard to be vegetarian as well as gluten & dairy free.good luck to everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Glamour Explorer

I can only eat beans if they are soaked, and properly slow cooked. Nothing right out of a can or quick prepared. Same with rice, no converted.

A lot of people eat to large a serving of beans and rice at a time. I was doing this also.

This is a good thread.

• 1 month later...
luce Newbie

I've been a Vegetarian for some time now and since learning about my Celiac and additional intolerances, such as dairy, casein, and lactose, I have decided to go Vegan. Currently I have Candida, too, so talk about restrictions, I'm living them. However, fortunately, I can eat nuts and possibly soy, I'm waiting out to test for sensitivity or not with that. That being said: all lentils (those with bean sensitivities, I do not know if this is why or not, but they have to be prepared in an arduous/advanced way (usually) to remove all of the gas, maybe that is causing the problems?); chickpeas; soy (almost double protein of any meat/poultry/fish); spinach; broccoli; cauliflower; kale; nuts; coconut (coconut oil); flaxseed (flaxseed oil); quinoa; gluten-free oats (if you can tolerate them) and many other sources provide protein. Mix the sources and eat appropriately and one can have more than adequate protein on a gluten-free Vegan Diet. There are gluten-free Vegan and Vegetarian Cookbooks now and most Vegan cookbooks can alter towards a gluten-free and other restriction lifestyles. Vegan cookbooks can provide so many tasty ways to cook the same ol' same ol', I believe it can keep the palette from becoming bored. I think it's possible, it's just a matter of what an individual feels they can or cannot deal with and how they do or don't want to. I am willing myself to be a gluten-free Vegan, but I support anyone else's choice/s to go in whatever direction they choose.

runningcrazy Contributor

Hello there. I'm Michelle and I've been a long time student of health/diet/etc. I recently read a book called "The China Study" and it has really rocked my world. It is based on one of the most comprehensive health/disease/diet studies ever done. It was started in 1983 and is actually still going on. This is the real deal too, done by *real* researchers - with 28 pages in the back of the book of peer reviewed journals documenting the studies and everything included in the book. It's basis is to move toward a plant based diet and significantly reduce risks for: cancer, heart disease, obesity, and diabetes. If you read the book, it's kind of life shaking.

So anyway, I kind of got it because I was somewhat "forced" into vegan world when I found out that I'm allergic to all components of milk, eggs, and (supposedly) beef. I'm not a PETA supporter or anything. I love animals but the health issues are what's leading me into this.

So I'm wondering - are there any celiacs out there who are vegans? How do you get the protein if you have troubles with soy along with the obvious problems with wheat (and TVP, seitan, etc.)? Does it even freakin' matter how much protein we get? I bought this rice protein powder yesterday (vegan) but haven't tried it yet. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!! Thanks :)

Im a long time vegetarian, no dairy either and also celiac. I do eat eggs occasionaley(like VERY rarely, once every month or two?)

My protein: Hummus, beans, lentils, quinoa(if you havent tried this--DO!) almond butter(more healthy than peanut butter)lots of spinach salad(did you know every food on earth contains protein, other than oil?)

Sunshine Burger, Baja Burger, and Oregon Harvest Veggi Patty are all gluten free soy free vegan "burgers"I believe they are all made from rice, herbs, etc.The sunshine burgers so far are my fave(havent tried baja) Sunshine ones are made from rice, sunflower seeds, and herbs.

I also like corn/quinoa pasta, corn pasta, rice pasta, "bobs red mill homemade wonderful bread", fruits&fruits&fruits, etc.

Its really not too hard, there are many celiac vegans. There is also a forum online called "Vegiacs" :)

luce Newbie

Yes- I forgot to mention Vegiacs for Vegetarian and Vegan Celiacs- great site. Thanks for mentioning those other sources- it's very helpful- I've never seen any of those burgers, but will have to look into it. Cheers:)

Im a long time vegetarian, no dairy either and also celiac. I do eat eggs occasionaley(like VERY rarely, once every month or two?)

My protein: Hummus, beans, lentils, quinoa(if you havent tried this--DO!) almond butter(more healthy than peanut butter)lots of spinach salad(did you know every food on earth contains protein, other than oil?)

Sunshine Burger, Baja Burger, and Oregon Harvest Veggi Patty are all gluten free soy free vegan "burgers"I believe they are all made from rice, herbs, etc.The sunshine burgers so far are my fave(havent tried baja) Sunshine ones are made from rice, sunflower seeds, and herbs.

I also like corn/quinoa pasta, corn pasta, rice pasta, "bobs red mill homemade wonderful bread", fruits&fruits&fruits, etc.

Its really not too hard, there are many celiac vegans. There is also a forum online called "Vegiacs" :)

• 7 years later...
Glegan Girl Newbie

I watched the movie "Forks Over Knives" and decided to start a 100% plant-based diet and since I'm a Celiac, it's also gluten-free. I have NAFLD and heard that this diet can help heal the liver. I just started 8 days ago but I'm getting the hang of it and feel great. Lost 7 pounds in 7 days too. Last night I made a veggie stir fry with spaghetti squash for noodles and made a sauce out of water, Braggs Liquid Aminos, and almond butter (but not too much). It was great and my kids liked it too!

My biggest problem is finding a protein powder for my sensitive stomach. The pea protein causes some bloating for me. I'm gonna try pumpkin seed protein powder and see how that goes. Any gluten-free, vegan protein powder suggestions?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I would normally suggest Jarrow hemp but they just had a gluten contamination this last month. Look up sancha inchi protein MRM or Julian Bakery make a good gluten-free one. Oregon Seed Co for pumpkin seed protein. Nutrabiotic for rice protein. If your having issues with pea protein I suggest enzymes with it. Note I use MRM veggie elite, Nutra key V-pro, and Naked Pea also but these contain pea protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived