3 replies to this topic

#1 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Christmas dinner will be at my house this year and in an unprecedented effort to plan ahead I would like to have some French bread ready to bake so it's warm at suppertime.

Ideally, I'll be using an electric roaster for the turkey so the oven will be free. The bread dough would normally rise for 40 minutes and then bake for another 40. I'd rather not be measuring three flours, frothing eggs, heating milk, etc. I'd rather be eating chocolate and playing with the boys.

The recipe I use has 2 eggs, and 1 3/4 cups heated milk. It makes two loaves. I use a French bread pan. Do you think this will freeze and subesquently bake properly? I suppose I can bake it and then thaw/reheat the previously baked bread, but I thought it might taste fresher if I bake from frozen dough. And...how would I freeze it? Parchment paper on the pan and just straight into the freezer and then wrap it up once it's frozen?

Thanks in advance. :)
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stolly

stolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Maybe you could parbake it so it would hold it's shape and just require popping in the oven, but would still have that fresh baked taste?
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

#3 bbuster

bbuster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

I would make the dough without heating the milk, then shape it in the pan - use oil cooking spray or parchment paper on the bottom/sides and cover the top with plastic wrap (spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray where it will touch the bread. Then freeze.

Then I would suggest moving it from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before, and then take out of the fridge to rise and then bake. If you normally let it rise 40 minutes, plan for longer because it will be cold to start.

I do this all of the time with rolls in small containers, but I have never tried with a full loaf.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#4 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

Thanks. I'll probably try the second method. If it works with rolls it should work with bread, right? I'm just not sure how much to pre-bake for the first suggestion.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: