This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Go Irish!

greenman

greenman Rookie

My family and I returned from our yearly journey to Ireland. This year was a bit different because it was the first year we went with me and my diagnosis of celiac. It meant no celebrating the 250th with my favorite beer, Guinness. It meant stepping into the warm pubs of Dublin and being strangely suspicious of every item on the list. I had a bit of a heavy heart not being able to partake of some of my favorite items, but an unexpected surprise warmed my bones from the chill that celiac can put through me when I realize in those moments of what I said good bye to. Thinking there was going to be nothing but problem after problem with pubs and restaurants dealing with my strict diet, all we had to say was "celiac," and there was a warm and concerned attentiveness, not matched in some of the finest places here in the states. I would never recommend dining in any country by letting your guard down, but Ireland proved to be a place of comfort for celiacs. The caveat? One has to have a refined sense of joy brought about when Irish cuisine is served---some say the hospitality makes the palette mimic richer treasures like a fine wine before a meal--but I go with whatever works, especially when my choices are so limited.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tgrahek Newbie

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. We had a similar experience in Spain, there was nobody that served us in any restaurant that didn't know what Celiac meant.

It was so discouraging the first time we ate out in an American restaurant after our return. I got that blank stare back from the server and felt like I could cry.

It seems as though traveling internationally will be easier for our family of 5 than traveling close to home!

We will have to put Ireland on our list!

luvs2eat Collaborator

Sounds like a wonderful experience!

When I was diagnosed, my doc told me celiac was most common in those of Irish descent. My mom was "right off the boat," but I'm the ONLY one in a fairly small Scots/Irish family to have it!

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Anybody Travelling to Dublin Ireland this is a MUST DINE spot

The Millstone Dame Street Dublin 2.

They have a seperate Coeliac Menu, it doesn't get much better than this believe me!

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

Jestgar Rising Star

damn.....

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I spent a week in Western Ireland recently and not only is it one of the most beautiful countries in the world it is celiac heaven. I could walk into any restaurant and if there wasn't a gluten-free notation on the menu all I had to do was ask what was gluten-free and they'd know instantly. Almost every place had gluten-free bread. I only found 1 soup that wasn't gluten-free. I didn't even use our kitchen!

• 2 years later...
electrochel Newbie

We are a celiac friendly country, most of our restaurants have gluten free beside the meals t state weather they are gluten-free or not... substitutes are offered and i haven't been sick yet. If in doubt ask to speak tot he chef they usually accommodate you with options.

Excellent options in Belfast, Galway, Cork, Kerry and of course Dublin.

I recommend Lemon on South Willaim street behind Grafton st in dublin their gluten-free Crepes are amazing...

Lemon Crepe & Coffee co

66 William Street South, Dublin 2, Ireland

+353 1 672 9044 ‎

Rustic Stone is also gorgeous and famous Irish Chef Dylan Mcgrath owns this place...

17 South Great Georges Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

+353 1 707 9596 ‎

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived