#1 sc875

sc875

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:37 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum...having browsed before but never posted. I have some type of intestinal problem, which the doctors thought was likely celiac (becuase I have autoimmune thyroid disease)

Initially, had a salivia IGA test for gluten through diagnos tech that was positive. I also had a fecal fat test that showed I was not properly absorbing or digesting fats and starches.
Then, I had antibodies (antitissue, antiendomysal and antigluten) tested through two different labs and they were all normal. I even had a small bowel biopsy which was normal.

So, we had concluded that I don't have sprue or gluten sensitivty.

But I don't know how to explain my symptoms. I have lost 15 pounds and am underweight despite a healthy diet, have stomach pains, diarrhea and am exhausted. My doctor is puzzled but says that I look healthy and since my weight is currently stable not to worry. I don't feel healthy and would like to be a normal weight for my height.

Could I still have gluten sensitivity? I found out about Dr. Fines work through this forum and am considering getting the test. I don't know how reliable it is and if others have found it helpful. It is expensive, and wonder if I should just try the diet?
Also,has anyone else had the salvia test from diagnos tech? I know these are many questions...
Thank You.

I would appreciate any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:29 PM

Hi sc875, welcome to the board!!! :)

I too had negative blood-work and biopsy. My biopsy showed patchy inflammation but my doc said it wasn't enough to be considered Celiac (they want to see villi damage before making a diagnosis.)

I also had a lot of the same symptoms as you and after I lost 40lbs my doc became concerned, that's when he began testing me for Celiac and when all the test came back he still thought I had IBS.

I eventually ordered a stool panel test from Dr. Kenneth Fine at Enterolab which is more sensitive than blood and cost me around $120.00. I received my results within a couple of weeks and they were positive. I immediately started a gluten-free diet and could tell a difference in the way I felt within a couple of days, the abdominal pain was gone!!!!

So to answer your question, YES you can still have gluten sensitivity even tho the tests are coming back negative. I would suggest ordering the test through Enterolab OR you could try the gluten-free diet for a couple of months to see if your health improves.

I hope you get some answers soon and feel better! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: