This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stash Tea Gluten Free?

Iluvaceliac

Iluvaceliac Rookie

Stash Tea says on their website that all their teas are gluten free, yet my celiac boyfriend had a reaction to Stash Chai White Tea which he added nothing to besides hot water. Has anyone else had a reaction to Stash Teas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Korwyn Explorer
Stash Tea says on their website that all their teas are gluten free, yet my celiac boyfriend had a reaction to Stash Chai White Tea which he added nothing to besides hot water. Has anyone else had a reaction to Stash Teas?

Does he have a soy intolerance or allergy? A lot of tea's have soy lecithin added as a dispersing agent.

Iluvaceliac Rookie
Does he have a soy intolerance or allergy? A lot of tea's have soy lecithin added as a dispersing agent.

I never thought about a soy intolerance. I know he's paranoid of soy because he read in a magazine that its messing with testosterone and making men more feminine. (I am not sure I agree with this).

Korwyn Explorer
I never thought about a soy intolerance. I know he's paranoid of soy because he read in a magazine that its messing with testosterone and making men more feminine. (I am not sure I agree with this).

Start taking a look at the amount of soy in everything. It is in chocolate, many brands of nut milks, soups, broths, tea, syrups, etc, etc, etc,. It is in almost as many things as gluten. The one positive thing is that since it is one of the top 8 allergens, the FDA requires it to be clearly labelled. Though I have found a couple instances where I have had reactions that are my 'soy' reaction but the company denies it has any soy in it. Tazo 'Awake' tea is one. Halfway through a cup I started having a reaction to it. This happened more than once. They won't even respond to my inquiry so our family is done with the Tazo teas. And we drank a lot of it too.

I don't know about the validity of the feminine part, but I know there is more research showing that soy is not really that good of a protein to have, and possibly has some negative links to prostate cancer and does seem to impact testosterone levels. Actually the precursor hormones that are necessary to make testosterone are what are impacted in both genders, and there is some linkage with decreased estrogen levels in both genders as well. Both estrogen and testosterone are necessary hormones for men and women, it is the amounts and ratio that are at issue. Decreased estrogen levels in men can have significant negative effects on male body chemistry as well.

• 6 years later...
kushbd Newbie

I am a celiac and have been drinking Stash premium green tea for about a year now with no reactions.  I suspect people are right, it's not about gluten, but probably something else.  Good luck. 

• 4 years later...
Meganlee32 Newbie

My sister and I recently had a double spice chai tea f

rom Stash tea.  We both are celiac and we both had reactions.  I had the tea again a week later and suffered again.  So I do not trust the Stash tea brand.

• 9 months later...
isitgluten Newbie
On 11/4/2020 at 5:31 AM, Meganlee32 said:

My sister and I recently had a double spice chai tea f

rom Stash tea.  We both are celiac and we both had reactions.  I had the tea again a week later and suffered again.  So I do not trust the Stash tea brand.

Do you mean the caffeine free Spice Dragon Red Chai tea made by stash? I am new to gluten free and have been having an increase of symptoms despite gluten free diet and the only thing i've been consistently doing is drinking this "gluten free" tea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
lhbaumer Newbie
On 8/23/2021 at 4:27 PM, isitgluten said:

Do you mean the caffeine free Spice Dragon Red Chai tea made by stash? I am new to gluten free and have been having an increase of symptoms despite gluten free diet and the only thing i've been consistently doing is drinking this "gluten free" tea.

I just had a reaction today (and now in hindsight, realize that it happened last week as well).  I used Stash Red Dragon Spiced Chai tea bags, but will be gifting the rest to a friend...

Scott Adams Grand Master

Interesting, I wonder if they have a contamination issue going on? Note that it does now say "gluten-free" on the packaging, and it is fairly common that spices can be contaminated (I ordered some turmeric online that did not say gluten-free, but listed only pure ingredients, but it tested positive for gluten using my Nima device):

https://www.stashtea.com/products/spice-dragon-red-chai-herbal-tea