This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Lay's Kettle Chips (mesquite Bbq) And St. Ives Apricot Scrub

mhalpin12

mhalpin12 Apprentice

Hi, I'm new to the gluten-free diet. I'm trying to heal up a horrible rash that looks and acts like DH, but which has given me negative biopsies. I've been gluten-free for a little more than two weeks. The rash began to heal beautifully after I started the diet, but in the past few days, I have broken out all over my body. Again. Sigh. I'm miserable. I'm trying to see what I ate/used that caused the breakout. I've been trying to stick with whole, unprocessed foods and with personal care items that are strictly gluten-free. The only two new things I've used are Lay's Kettle Chips (mesquite BBQ flavor) and some St. Ives Apricot Facial Scrub (Invigorating) that I used only on my face. The Kettle Chips are supposed to be gluten-free, but I see from a search of this forum that others have reacted to them. The Facial Scrub's ingredients are below: Did I miss something?

Water, Walnut Shell Powder, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Corn Meal, Cetyl Alcohol, Linoleamide DEA, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sambucus Nigra Extract (elder flower), Glyceryl Stearate, Lanolin Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Apricot Kernel Oil, Matricaria Extract, Primrose Extract, Sunflower Extract, Ceteareth-20, PEG-100 Stearate, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide

I see an obvious corn ingredient, and I have positive blood allergy tests (IgE) to corn, but have never had a reaction to corn in any way, shape or form. I'm baffled. Anyone see something I don't? Thanks a bunch!

Michelle in TN

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

I use the Apricot scrub daily with no issues. I have not tried the kettle chips. Ichecked the website and it claims to be gluten-free, but I have reacted to Cheetos, too. I think maybe it's the MSG?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Many of us avoid the flavored Lay's products because of the high risk of CC. For me eating Lay's is like playing roulette, one time I will be fine another I will be sick as a dog so I have learned to avoid them. The facial scrub looks safe and I used to use it with no issues.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Last summer I reacted to the gluten free Kettle chips...it was a definite reaction since it was the only manufactured product I had. I think it was even the flavor you mentioned.

I'd like to know how that can happen - something labelled gluten-free gets us. :(

jrc121 Newbie

Kettle chips have always made me sick, and others as well. Don't eat them. Consider that you may also have allergies to soy or corn, or even both.

Archived