Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Doctor In Oklahoma City?

13 posts in this topic

I had a Celiac Sprue test done by my GI doctor and he said it came back negative. He said it's IBS but I don't think so. I've been in constant pain for two months now. I have lyme disease and many lyme patients are gluten intolerant.

Is this test 100% accurate?

Anyone know of a good GI doctor (or any doctor) in OKC that knows about Celiac disease?

Thanks!

Gary

Ads by Google:
I had a Celiac Sprue test done by my GI doctor and he said it came back negative. He said it's IBS but I don't think so. I've been in constant pain for two months now. I have lyme disease and many lyme patients are gluten intolerant.

Anyone know of a good GI doctor (or any doctor) in OKC that knows about Celiac disease?

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary! I'm from Norman so it is nice to see others from Oklahoma. I am new to this as well I wish I could be of more help with doctors and such but I did want to say hi.

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary Im from okc too, im only 3 weeks in to gluten free, i went to the dds they also told me it was ibs, they pretty much blew me off, ilm on the same mission right now trying to find a doc...good luck ill let u know if i find someone

Hi Gary Im from okc too, im only 3 weeks in to gluten free, i went to the dds they also told me it was ibs, they pretty much blew me off, ilm on the same mission right now trying to find a doc...good luck ill let u know if i find someone

I am from a small rural town south of okc, and I am looking for a good doctor knowledgable about celiac. I visited by family doctor today and got nowhere. Have you been successful in your search for a good doctor in OK?

Thanks!

Gary

I am also looking for a good dr in the central OK area. My GI doctor did a biopsy suspecting Chron's but it came back with Celiac. My blood test was negative, and from what I have read there is a change of negative blood tests and if Celiac is still suspected then they should do a biopsy. However you should talk to your dr to see if you chould be gluten free or if you need to still consume gluten in order to get accurate test results.

While my dr seem to be pretty good and diagonising, I am having issues with communication. His nurse called to tell me that biopsy showed Celiac, didnt give me any other information and that was it. I dont see the dr until Sept 15, so I am a little upset that I have to naviagte this on my own for now.

Good luck to you all!

Alysia

I am also looking for a good dr in the central OK area. My GI doctor did a biopsy suspecting Chron's but it came back with Celiac. My blood test was negative, and from what I have read there is a change of negative blood tests and if Celiac is still suspected then they should do a biopsy. However you should talk to your dr to see if you chould be gluten free or if you need to still consume gluten in order to get accurate test results.

While my dr seem to be pretty good and diagonising, I am having issues with communication. His nurse called to tell me that biopsy showed Celiac, didnt give me any other information and that was it. I dont see the dr until Sept 15, so I am a little upset that I have to naviagte this on my own for now.

Good luck to you all!

Alysia

did you every find anyone? and who was your dr? that sounds about like our experience. i'd really like to be able to find someone who is knowledgeable on this to help us navigate this!

I'm in same boat in Norman! I wonder how many of us there are.

There has to be a physician somewhere on the OKC area familiar with celiac disease / gluten intolerance and nutritional issues related to these disease processes. I am 49 and have had severe problems off and on depending on my diet. I've been gluten free for over 6 months and all the gross symptoms have resolved. However I continue with the others such as chronic fatigue and have been basically blown off with go see a psychiatrist for depression or it's IBS deal with it. The funny is I'm a psychiatric professional lol! Let me know if anyone has luck finding a physician!

I'm in same boat in Norman! I wonder how many of us there are.

I'm from norman also. And like many of you dealing with this on my own so far. I have yet to find a dr other than my dentist willing to listen to my concerns. I am preparing to go Gluten-Free but was hoping for some validation before doing so. Although, I am hoping that my GYN will listen even though this is not their specialty but this disease does affect fertility, hormones, cysts etc...so I am hoping he will listen and order the tests. It is good to see others here in the same area that I am in!

I am in Edmond. Looking for a doctor for our daughter, 8 years. So far we have seen our family doc, allergist, and a pediatrician recommended by a celiac friend. So confused by her symptoms that seem to be celiac after doing my own research, but docs say no (she should have diarrhea not constipation; thin not weight gain). If anyone finds a good doc in OKC please post!

Hey guys, just a thought. I am in NYS but I saw this thread and I know if you call the nearest Celiac Support Group and ask them--they usually have a good celiac-savvy GI doc on their advisory board.

this info may be outdated (I found it here on c.com) but there may be forwarding info.

Oklahoma

Norman - Resource

Norman, OK

Tel: (405)364-5612

email: one4life@swbell.net

Internet: http://katesceliac.blogspot.com

Oklahoma City - Support Group

Oklahoma Celiac Sprue Support Group (CSA)

1403 Classen Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73106

Tel: (405) 235-1715

E-mail: HMCline@aol.com

Internet: http://www.OKceliac.com

Hope this helps!

I am in Edmond. Looking for a doctor for our daughter, 8 years. So far we have seen our family doc, allergist, and a pediatrician recommended by a celiac friend. So confused by her symptoms that seem to be celiac after doing my own research, but docs say no (she should have diarrhea not constipation; thin not weight gain). If anyone finds a good doc in OKC please post!

Did you ever find a doctor? I live in Edmond as well and by process of elimination found Dr. Susan Redwine. She is so savvy in regards to Celiac. Literally changed our lives. My kids are 8 and 6 and both have celiac

We live in Oklahoma.  A couple years ago, we discovered Faye Elahi, a nutritionist located in Plano, Texas that is an authority on gut issues.  After an affordable phone consultation with Faye, we received testing kits through the mail.  UPS returned the kits and specimens to Enterolab in Dallas, Texas.  Within days, we were positively diagnosed for having gluten sensitivity and other food allergies. (We received a copy of our test results via email.)  We also learned, due to the food allergies, that we were very malnourished.  After adjusting our diets (it isn't as difficult as we first thought), and taking various supplements, we feel like different people.  

Faye has a couple websites that may enlighten you:  www.specialneedsnutrition.com and www.glutenfreenutritionforlife.com.  She also has an informative book that may be purchased from Amazon.com.  It's titled: Ready, Set, Eat!  Gluten-Free Nutrition Basics.  Enterolab also has an informative website at:  www.enterolab.com.   Read the Testimonials.  

We learned that stool testing is the most reliable type of test.  Enterolab sends the kit and the discrete return packaging directly to your home.  It is best to consult a nutritionist, such as Faye Elahi, for ordering the appropriate test and for interpreting the test results.  By the way, some insurance companies recently started covering part of these tests!!  Yippee!!  

I can't express how thankful we are to have found a nutritionist (Faye Elahi) that has had similar dietary issues as ours.   Not only is she knowledgeable, but she is very kind.  I'm confident she may have saved our lives.