5 replies to this topic

#1 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:11 AM

Ugh - I spent 5 hours in Seattle airport on my way to holidays here and I let it all get to me. I was so hungry ! I did have a baked potato & some chili @ Wendy's when we got there but that only lasted so long. We really live in a gluten-y world !

Ok, so I could have had more Wendy's and maybe I'm fussy. I hate eating the same thing. It just didn't help that there were so many food places and so litle to eat ! <_< Even most of the junk food had allergen warnings. On the way home I'm packing food in my carry on - didn't think I could travelling in from Canada.

Ok, I had some tuna & salmon sushi and got glutened (didn't use the soy sauce - must have been cross contamination). Ugh. Not helpful when you're already tired (and travelling with kids).

:P Ok, rant over....Merry Christmas !

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

That's what terrifies me about travelling - and I LOVE to travel. Haven't done it gluten-free yet. I'm sure it will be interesting...but I'd definitely carry some snacks along! Have a Merry Christmas anyway. :)
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#3 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

That's what terrifies me about travelling - and I LOVE to travel. Haven't done it gluten-free yet. I'm sure it will be interesting...but I'd definitely carry some snacks along! Have a Merry Christmas anyway. :)

Actually certain travel is not difficult at all. I have traveled internationally since diagnosis, twice, and had no problems. You absolutely have to carry some snacks with you like fruit/dried fruit or nuts. I also am lucky that the airport I fly out of has some good restaurants with gluten-free menu's so I can eat before the flight leaves.
A meal should take a person at least 6 hours before they get hungry again and then you have the snacks.

When eating out anywhere, cut back to basics and have a protein with fresh veggies and a potato. It may not be the most exotic of foods but if prepared well, it'll be good, warm and filling. Certain destinations are more gluten-free friendly than others so I tend to go to those places and have had little to worry about.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, SEATAC isn't the best place to find food.
If I'm traveling, I ALWAYS pack plenty of food. (Think at least 1000 calories worth.) Even in airports, as long as it's not liquid, it's fine.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Evie4

Evie4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

If I'm more than 30 minutes away from home I have some food with me ha-ha! I have to eat small amounts throughout the day. When I travel I bake up a breakfast bread that has onions, ham or bacon, cheese (well now I'm not supposed to eat dairy either). I add some herbs. It seems to work (appeal to my palette) anytime of day. I also bake up some sweet muffins. I have to know I will ALWAYS have something the moment I start getting hungry, otherwise I get cranky and difficult to be around! :0) My husband will vouch for that!

#6 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

lol I get cranky when travelling as it is... add hunger to that and my hubby would rather leave me at the airport :P I always bring a bag of trail mix with me. Sesame ginger snaps, real fruits, trail mix, etc. can be purchased in airports (when desperate) and are usually gluten-free (read labels, of course). And yes, you can bring food in your carry-on as long as it isn't liquid.

Happy Holidays :)

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: