This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Do People Have To Be So Mean?

Emme999

Guest BERNESES

Hang in there Mela, you've been through a lot. You should be proud that you are being so pro-active about your health. Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emme999 Enthusiast

Mel,

You are so tough and awesome :) We love you!!! Good luck with everything :)

Beverly is absolutely right - you should be *very* proud of yourself for being proactive, it's definitely not an easy thing when the rest of the world seems against you.

You have my best wishes, hopes, and prayers :)

- Michelle

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Bean---

Handling skepticism, for me, came with a lot of help and encouragement from the people on this board...we will always be here for you when you need us :)

Now that I think back, I do remember my mother telling me that I might not have celiac disease, that my GI could be wrong before I became gluten-free. I think it's more of an initial reaction for some people--think of the stages of death/dying (Elizabeth-Kubler Ross). Denial is the first stage, and, i think that when shocking news is delivered, such as celiac disease diagnosis, denial hits. Even I thought that it couldn't be true.

Definitely promote advocacy--tell your friends more about the disease, especially if they've been supportive. Talk to them about the 2.3 million people (I think that I got that statistic either from this website or celiac.org, I can't remember) who have celiac disease. Let anyone who's willing to listen and learn know that, although the word "Disease" may make it sound as if it's as serious as, say, AIDS, there is a cure, and then can help.

:) I hope that you and your family reach a mutual understanding--no matter what happens :)

Guest BERNESES

Jill- That's a great way to look at it. Bean, hang tough. My family has been supportive but my boss and one of my professors have been so mean about it. I missed class one night because i went to the ER because I felt so sick (I literally pooped my pants on the couch after getting glutened :blink: and when I saw my professor next his response was "I really hope you can get this thing under control" I wanted to punch him. It was as if I was doing this to myself on purpose. It's going to happen to us and Jill is right, we can always get support here. Thank you all!

Guest nini

that always got me... the ones that thought I was doing these things to myself on purpose... like OH, I LOVE VOMITING and having the big "D"... and I go OUT OF MY WAY to do this at every family function because I don't want to spend time with YOU. I'd rather spend it in the bathroom. Oh yeah and especially if we are at a restaurant for say, oh, MY BIRTHDAY, I REALLY wanted to spend the entire evening in the bathroom with other customers going "UM, are you DONE YET?????"

when I would finally reappear, my family would just treat me like it was all my fault. that I must have an eating disorder and enjoy making myself sick. RIGHT.

Guest BERNESES

Thank God we can vent here!

Guest nini

tell me about it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I know. Although sometimes I have to put off venting for a few hours so I can cool down... like when a kid flicked cookie crumbs in my face...didn't post about that one, though--happened a few days ago... nobody gets it <_<

Guest nini

sorry to hear about the kid flicking cookie crumbs at you, that's just mean.

Guest BERNESES

celiac3270- that is RIDICULOUS! Just chock it up to ignorance. Don't let the b******rds get you down. You're better than that!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I know. Although sometimes I have to put off venting for a few hours so I can cool down... like when a kid flicked cookie crumbs in my face...didn't post about that one, though--happened a few days ago... nobody gets it <_<

He flicked cookie crumbs at you :angry: !!!!!! How incredibly rude and insensitive! <_<

We should all show up at your school and see if he tries that again..we all got your back

Emme999 Enthusiast

celiac3270,

You have been one of the most supportive, wonderful, intelligent, and kind people on this whole forum - and considering how amazingly wonderful everyone else here has been, that really says a lot. It still kinda freaks me out when I think about how old you are because you are so incredibly mature.

I am sorry that you have deal with such unbelievable morons - (like the crumb-flicker). It kind of breaks my heart because you seem like such a strong base for so many people to talk to here, and yet you have to deal with such stupid stuff in your own life. It's just wrong.

Obviously there will always be a vast amount of ignorant people out there - and I'm sure I'll be discovering (as I'm new to this) that people can be even more foolish than I'd previously imagined. But try to keep in mind that, even though you have to deal with this crap all the time, it has probably made you a much better person than you were before you started having the Celiac blues.

When I go through rough spots, I try to think, "Well, I'm sure I'll be a better woman because of this!"

Now... don't misinterpret that to say that I think you will be a better woman because of this ;)

But know that you are still one of my heroes :)

- Michelle

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi celiac3270! My motherly instinct kicked in when you said the kid flicked cookie crumbs in your face. I was ready to come down there to teach him a lesson he would NEVER forget!!!! :angry: I wonder if a criminal charge of assault with a deadly weapon be able to be applied here....... mmmmmm....... THAT WOULD TEACH HIM!!!!!

Michelle, try not to be too hard on your dad. When our children are growing up, it is a parent's job to shield our children from disappointment, kind of "cushioning the blow" of all the dissapointment life seems to throw at us..... Sometimes, it is just hard to grow out of that habit as our children grow older..... I think your dad was just kind of protecting you from what he sees (due to not being educated and knowledgeable about this disease) as a "fad diet" that is going to set you up for a let down......

Karen

Guest BERNESES

He flicked cookie crumbs at you mad.gif !!!!!! How incredibly rude and insensitive! dry.gif

We should all show up at your school and see if he tries that again..we all got your back

Yeah- I used to teach- I'll get him suspended! I have my ways! And I really can't believe how old you are! I always forget! Rock on celiac3270, Beverly

Saleegirl Newbie

I had to deal with something like that too. When my mom and I first thought I was a celiac, my dad didn't believe us. I believe he thought we were crazy, even though I had all the symtoms, (Rash, stomach pains, mouth blisters, leg cramps) and 1-2 weeks after eating nothing with Gluten, I felt better. It's annoying when people put a damper on your mood, or don't believe you, I know. But they don't understand, nobody said people were always nice. But they are your family, and remember, blood is thicker than water. You just have to try to forgive them, even though it's hard. I can still remember when my dad didn't believe me, Neither did my brother. If we went to the store, and even though I couldn't eat them, he'd buy doughnuts....

Try to forgive him, it is hard, but he's not always going to be around....

Stephanie

P.S. The cookie crumb thing... That is just, insensitive, pig headed, and rude. If someone did that to me, they'd find that plate the cookie crumbs were on.... In a very uncomfortable place.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Nice image Stephanie ;)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
P.S. The cookie crumb thing... That is just, insensitive, pig headed, and rude. If someone did that to me, they'd find that plate the cookie crumbs were on.... In a very uncomfortable place.

HAHA :lol: Nice one

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Some people are really stupid. He can be glad, that I'm not his mother. Really, I think, it's good, that it's against the law to beat your children today. But some still need a good whup from time to time...

mommida Enthusiast

What a little freak!!?

What kind of cruel life he must be living. He probably does get beat at home. I wish a very itchy rash in a very private place on him.

celiac3270, you are an inspiration for me and my kids.

Love ya,

Laura

mela14 Enthusiast

awwwwww.........thanks guys....you are the best!

Beverly...you look gorgeous in your wedding dress with your handsome hubby!

Michelle, you are so sweet..........and supportive..thanks:rolleyes:

I hope you are all doing better and living life in spite of this horrible, confusing disease. there is more to life than just celiac! :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Beverly...you look gorgeous in your wedding dress with your handsome hubby!

Yes the picture is very good...you guys look so cute together :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Wow...thank you everyone fory our support. I didn't expect so many responses (or even any) to an off-hand comment :D;)

cdford Contributor

I was not quite as understanding of other's ignorance at first. I guess I just thought that my sharing the information with them would suffice. It did with some but not with others. The ones I truly appreciate were those that actually attempted to do some research on their own and share it with me. I finally gave up on some and on others just accepted that they didn't completely get it. I think I am getting better at accepting others' inadequacies as I get older...and see my own a little better.

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

celiac3270---

I have half the mind to grab that kid and punch him in the face. I hated junior high and high school.

Oh, well---that person will simply stagnate throughout life because of a lack of understanding and consideration for people like you, and you won't :)

B)

celiac3270 Collaborator

It's pure ignornace--he asked me about bagels, pasta, and pizza--what have I been telling him the past year? <_< Well, some insensitivity, too--I've told him many times that I can eat that stuff and it's dangerous, often equating it to a peanut allergy. A kid wiht a peanut allergy wouldn't even allow peanut-containing food in the classroom...I'm not trying to cut that out--just get some consideration.

It's been okay since then.

Archived