Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Recover From Chronic Insomnia After Going gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

74 replies to this topic

#46 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

Hi Carrie,

I've had trouble sleeping for years, too. I thought it was just me. I never took any medication for it, but I was tempted sometimes. It wasn't everyday, but at least three times a week. I would go to work a lot with no sleep at all & feel horrible. I also felt a lot of anxiety & brain fog. Now that I've been gluten free for four months. I think it took about a month or more for my insomnia to go away & then I started sleeping so good & I felt so calm. It was wonderful. Then I was getting glutened again two weeks ago & now , of course, along with all the other GI symptoms, I'm having trouble sleeping again. I think it is getting better, but it just takes a while for the body to recover from the gluten. Just make sure you're on a very strict gluten free diet & recheck everything you're taking -vitamins, medication, hand & face lotion. I realized I was getting glutened from my synthriod medication. It was driving me crazy. It was the last item I thought of & as soon as my doctor changed my medicine I started to feel better. But I still having some brain fog & having a hard time falling to sleep. I do listen to soft music & meditation celiac disease's (BelleRuth Naparstek) right before I go to sleep & that does help me a lot. If you think a mediation celiac disease would help you, you might want to try it. You can buy them on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned). I have a few of her celiac disease''s & they helped it really helps me to relax.- not trying to sell you anything, just trying to help. :)

Hang in there. It'll get better soon.

I love your profile pic! I have 2 bassets, love the breed!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

hi, i'm new to the forum. i was recently diagnosed with gluten sensitivity and i have been gluten free for about three weeks now. i discovered i was gluten sensitive after going to my naturopath for chronic insomnia, which i've had for the past seven years. as of now, i can see no improvement in my sleep and am worried that gluten is not the cause of my insomnia...
so i'm just wondering if any of you suffered from chronic insomnia before going gluten-free, if going gluten-free cured the insomnia and if so, how long did it take after going gluten-free before you got sleep?

thanks so much! i've really enjoyed this site and look forward to hearing from other gluten intolerants.

carrie

I didn't read thru all the replies so this could be a repeat. More than likely your body is vitamin deficient. Crazy what nutrients play in our ability to sleep. I went thru a terribly long spell of insomnia until I started supplementing. Got to feeling better, backed off on my B complex, magnesium and potassium and found myself dealing with insomnia again. These are only part of what I take dialy but I think they are the key nutrients you need. I also take a Melatonex which has B3 and magnesium at night which I suggest if you are not taking anti-depressants.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#48 Learner01

Learner01

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

After health issues in the early 00's, I visited a naturopath that informed me that I was gluten-intolerant. Then, after some research, I realized that my mysterious symptoms and subsequent "thyroid issues" were likely the result of issues with gluten. I keep a watch on my gluten intake and have come to a new conclusion: perhaps my insomnia is also the by-product of gluten intolerance. I was on Levothyroxine for 2 years and had the absolute worst time sleeping. It was horrible. I sleep a lot better now, but I'm baffled by my new discovery.

What's going on with gluten?!

#49 JeanneA

JeanneA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

I was fascinated to read all the posts regarding insomnia! Here I am in Week 3 of gluten-free. The first thing that happened was a nasty worsening of my GI symptoms for 2 days, then steady improvement. Already off one of my GI meds and want to try to taper off the other. That was Week 1. Week 2 I started to realize that I hadn't had a migraine in days. (I started the gluten-free diet on advice of my gastroenterologist, never dreaming that the intolerance or allergy might be the cause of my migraines.) Because I keep a migraine diary, I can tell you that they are definitely fewer, more far apart and milder. My gosh. That was week 2. Now, in Week 3, I've had several nights of sleeping like I haven't slept in decades. I had had almost constant insomnia. Didn't really start to think more about it til this morning. This is just amazing. Now I go and see all of you talking about this, too. All of my chronic issues were caused by this intolerance or allergy? (Dr. doesn't know which it is----I hardly care, as long as I can manage it and feel better.) This is just incredible. Thanks for the help, everyone. Hope I can encourage back.
Gluten-free and so grateful, as I can now live not only mostly free from the IBS that had started to get really bad, but also am now living almost migraine-free and insomnia-free.

Either gluten intolerant or allergic to wheat; time will tell. The important thing for me, though, is that I feel so much better. I feel like it hardly matters what the actual problem is at this point.

Also allergic to MSG, sulfites, and nitrates. Hypoglycemic and have Hashimoto's.

#50 floral

floral

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I found out I had a sleep apnea before I was diagnosed with Celiac. Didn't sleep well for over a year. Only been on a gluten free diet for 15 days and last night was the first night that I slept well and felt rested. I also didn't throw off my mask during sleep and my daughter said it was the first night that she also slept well b/c I wasn't snoring! I also had malabsorption issues and take B12 shots. I found a vitamin geared for Celiac's on Celiac.com and have started taking them for the last 3 or 4 days. That's the only thing I've done different in addition to diet changes. Only problem that still exists is the peripheral neuropathy which drives me crazy. Neuro did put me on Lyrica which helps but I wish I could find something more natural that would be a good substitute. So nice to have found a place where I belong. I had 4 bowel obstructions before being diagnosed!

#51 Merre

Merre

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hi, I'm new here. Had something I wanted to post but saw this one on the way. I have not yet been diagnosed, but think this has been my problem for the past 10 years. (It's a long story; I'll spare you.) Anyway, after my daughter was worked up for the disease and I did a little research on it, I saw all of my symptoms on the descriptions for celiac disease. It blew me away! I've avoided gluten for about a month now, and the first thing I noticed was that I could actually sleep past 3 a.m. I used to wake up then and be wide awake until about 5 a.m. It was really hard on me since I had to go to work. Now, I usually sleep past, but if I do awaken, I fall asleep easily. The second thing that I saw disappear after going gluten free was my joint pains. I know I shouldn't have gone gluten free without getting tested first, but after going through years of testing for everything else under the sun, I just decided to take matters into my own hands as the cure was within my own reach.

#52 alwaysafter8

alwaysafter8

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

I had insomnia my whole life until going gluten-free. I had accepted it for the most part & lived on a 'night owl' schedule, sleeping in until 3pm. :( Before I cut gluten I was taking 5HTP, & that helped a lot get my sleep back on schedule. Cutting gluten helped the rest of the way; now I have a normal sleep schedule! Now, if I have gluten on accident I can always tell because it messed up my sleep; I sleep forever (okay, 12+hours) & still wake up tired.

#53 Dnnysm

Dnnysm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I can never get to sleep. I avoid it until its super late and unfortunately work at 6am so rarely get more than 4-5 hrs. I can fall asleep like its my job during the day however since I'm always running on fumes. I'm still in the pre -dx stages but am certain this is my issue. Once I'm given the go ahead for gluten free Iiving I'm hoping I feel a difference sooner rather than later and maybe even try b12!

#54 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

I have had insomnia and vivid dreams and nightmares my entire life. I've only been gluten-free for about a month now and this is actually the biggest change I've noticed... I now sleep through the night, even without taking medication. If I do wake up, I fall back asleep quickly, and I no longer remember my dreams.

#55 WhoKnew

WhoKnew

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Great thread, running for over 2 years, obviously a popular topic and a common question, about whether poor sleep improves after DX and going Gluten Free. I wonder how the original poster is doing?

My experience... My sleep was absolutely terrible for years. At the same time I was diagnosed with celiac, I had blood tests for vitamin D3 levels. I was chronically low, which apparently is not unusual in Celiacs, due in large part to malabsorption.

Now I take 8000 units of D3 at bedtime, and sleep like a baby. This may sound like a high-dose, but I have my blood levels checked every three months to make sure I'm in the normal range. I have read that D3 can be very helpful with sleep, if taken at bedtime. I'm certainly way too perky without it!

#56 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

B12 will cure insomnia 100%, that's the cure job done game over etc. If you can't sleep you need B12 injections. The reason people with gluten intolerance can't sleep is because we have compromised intestines and can't absorb nutrients very well and the one that causes insomnia is one of them (and that's B12) get the injections, seriously that is that answer.

#57 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

P.S. that's how I gauge my time interval for b12 shots, as soon as I start staying awake much past midnight I get a shot, even if my levels are 900.Take the shot and I got to sleep before midnight like a a baby for the next several months

#58 Dejibo

Dejibo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

I have not read all of the responses (im sorry) but wanted to say that I have been completely grain free for over a month now and I am amazed at how much deeper I am sleeping. I really needed the rest.

#59 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Totally had insomnia when gluten was heavy in my diet. Totally went away right away when going gluten free.

#60 happycamper

happycamper

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hello everyone, I am newly diagnosed with a biopsy of celiac sprue. I am so grateful for all your posts these past weeks as I began the adjustment process to a gluten-free lifestyle. I also have huge issues with insomnia. I have heard this may be related to anemia which is known to cause insomnia, I am lucky to sleep 6 hours and then I still feel awfull, after staying awake till usually 3am feeling stress and pain.
I have hypothyroid, anemia, asthma, constipation, early menopause, symptoms of arthritis which are easing since going gluten-free, wild mood swings and mostly depression..... which I am hanging tough through since I figure it will eventually pass, three years now like this and I've never experienced anything so awful.
I mostly take valerian with some hot tea before bedtime and melatonin right as I'm climbing into bed and then shut off the light and hope I sleep .
Hope this helps, valerian is not addictive and you can adjust the amount you take depending on how it affects you. Also it wears off better than benadryl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: