This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pizza Place For Supper - Never Doing That Again !

NorthernElf

NorthernElf Enthusiast

:angry:

So my brother & SIL decide that for Xmas they are taking our family of 5 out for supper (we're all away on holiday). So we go to a place called the Organ Spot - pizza, pasta, subs, small salad bar that didn't look safe. I googled it a couple of days before and wasn't happy at the get go. Of all the places to go, why there ?!?!?!??!

I really tried you know - I brought my lunch bag and watched (and smelled) 6 people eat pizza and then ice cream cones. I didn't even eat what I brought because, well, once you smell that pizza...

So I was a stick in the mud and quite unhappy when we left (we spent almost 2 hours there). My DH is grumpy with me, thinks I shoulda sucked it up. I'm grumpy because I don't think it was fair to me to go there. The kids had a good time & enjoyed the pizza.

Bottom line - I'm not doing that again. If there is a next time, they can take the kids, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm being a spoil sport...it really sucked. I don't think I'm over reacting - I wouldn't take a vegetarian to a steakhouse with no other options. I'm probably doubly grumpy because I've been sick a lot this trip & am almost afraid to eat anything anymore. Gosh...how many celiacs lose weight over Xmas !?!??!?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amberlynn Contributor

Ha ha, I've lost about 2-3lbs now over Christmas!!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't have gone. That's just sucky. My friend is having his rehearsal dinner at my FAVORITE pre-glutenfree pizza place. Needless to say, I called him the other night and explained that I was highly uncomfortable even stepping foot in the place (I get glutened from airborne gluten lately), and that my hubby & I were going to go out on our own for dinner. In fact, I was going to just 'suck it up' and go, but my husband said NO WAY - he knows what would happen, and doesn't want me to feel sick for the wedding the next day.

ciavyn Contributor

You are right, that does suck. Here's what I don't get. If you were vegetarian or vegan, it would have been expected that either they go someplace you could also eat, or it would have been labeled a kids' event, and you would have gone somewhere else. I don't think it's fair to not expect others to still enjoy their regular foods...but I also don't think it is fair that you were expected to join in when you couldn't eat there.

I wouldn't go the next time. There is something to be said for getting some personal time by yourself -- and that will allow you to decompress and the others to enjoy their gluten foodstuffs. Or, go somewhere else, either by yourself or with one of the other adults who would prefer something a bit less...ah, doughy.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm sorry that happened to you--it would have upset me too. They could have chosen a more suitable place--I'm sure they go to places where you could order say, a piece of meat, potato, and a salad. Why the pizza place of all places?? Ya gotta wonder about people.... :blink:

Yep--if there is a next time, beg off. ;)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Yes it sucks. Tough. Sounds like you've been glutened and are down in the dumps. Next time go, make it an enjoyable time for everyone. Too bad you can not eat the pizza/sub/poisoned salad bar. Enjoy the smell but make it a good memory for your children/dh/relatives instead of making the memory of how grumpy you can be.

You children might one day need to eat gluten free. Set the example that food is not the most important thing in life. Call ahead next time to see if they can make something gluten free. If not, eat before you go, eat something you really like or make something special for yourself when you return home.

I'm off for coffee and fresh-out-of-the oven gluten free chocolate chip cookies.

camprunner Apprentice
Yes it sucks. Tough. Sounds like you've been glutened and are down in the dumps. Next time go, make it an enjoyable time for everyone. Too bad you can not eat the pizza/sub/poisoned salad bar. Enjoy the smell but make it a good memory for your children/dh/relatives instead of making the memory of how grumpy you can be.

You children might one day need to eat gluten free. Set the example that food is not the most important thing in life. Call ahead next time to see if they can make something gluten free. If not, eat before you go, eat something you really like or make something special for yourself when you return home.

I'm off for coffee and fresh-out-of-the oven gluten free chocolate chip cookies.

I think this post is very insensitive. It appears that the OP did try to suck it up. When I get glutened, I get quite irritable and it sounds like this is what happened. Criticism is NOT what the OP needs right now.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

So sorry about the experience. Hope you get to feeling better soon and can enjoy some of your trip before it is done.

It makes you wonder sometimes what the person is thinking when they suggest somewhere that is surrounded by gluten and they are even related to you.

Personally I don't know what I would have done since you were gone on a trip... I know if it were a situation local to home I would have probably stayed home or gone for a short period of time and see how it went (I always eat ahead of time and bring something small in my bag).

Ha even going to Sam's Club with my husband and parents they always feel bad getting a hot dog or pizza and I tell them its fine... One of the last times I had to sit at the table next to them b/c the smell was really strong and I started to feel sick which was odd for me.

Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayesmom Rookie

:angry:

So my brother & SIL decide that for Xmas they are taking our family of 5 out for supper (we're all away on holiday). So we go to a place called the Organ Spot - pizza, pasta, subs, small salad bar that didn't look safe. I googled it a couple of days before and wasn't happy at the get go. Of all the places to go, why there ?!?!?!??!

I really tried you know - I brought my lunch bag and watched (and smelled) 6 people eat pizza and then ice cream cones. I didn't even eat what I brought because, well, once you smell that pizza...

So I was a stick in the mud and quite unhappy when we left (we spent almost 2 hours there). My DH is grumpy with me, thinks I shoulda sucked it up. I'm grumpy because I don't think it was fair to me to go there. The kids had a good time & enjoyed the pizza.

Bottom line - I'm not doing that again. If there is a next time, they can take the kids, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm being a spoil sport...it really sucked. I don't think I'm over reacting - I wouldn't take a vegetarian to a steakhouse with no other options. I'm probably doubly grumpy because I've been sick a lot this trip & am almost afraid to eat anything anymore. Gosh...how many celiacs lose weight over Xmas !?!??!?!

My sister-in-law presents these types of situations all of the time. It makes me absolutely crazy. Only once did she offer to go to a restaurant that had a gluten-free menu. And even then, when we all were looking for an appetizer to share, it was imperative that she got one with gluten. My dh tried to subtly hint that perhaps it would be better to get a gluten-free option (there were 3) to share. But NO...she was adamant that she wanted her favorite appetizer. LOL. (So it's almost comical when she insinuates that my diet is somehow an inconvenience...as she never lets herself be inconvenienced).

My daughter is 10 times more sensitive than I am. We're talking severe diarrhea, a 10 hour migraine and vomitting for hours on end....to trace amounts of gluten. My SIL has seen a bad reaction (my dd got CC'd at her house). And yet, each time she's in town, she insists that we go to some gluten-infested, cross-contaminated nightmare (like Chuckee Cheese on steroids) because in her mind, it will be "fun" for the kids. Ummmm...no, it won't be fun for my kid. I'll be damned if I'm going to drive 2 hours to spend another 2 hours and $75 in a place that will inevitably make my kid sick for the next 3 days.

So lately, I've just been putting my foot down and not going to these assinine destinations. I start by saying it's probably not a good idea. And then I offer other suggestions. If my sil pushes harder, then I tell her that perhaps she and her family should go and enjoy themselves and we can go somewhere else. We can always hook up afterwards. That way, she won't feel cheated out of her preference and I won't resent her insensitive and somewhat narcissistic perspective.

And yes, I really do consider such attitude to be insensitive. When one invites others out to dinner, it is entirely appropriate to equally consider their preferences. This goes double if the person has dietary restrictions. It sounds like the other "adults" in the party need to spend some time re-evaluating what exactly is important in life. And one always should do a bit of introspection prior to calling others names...such as a "stick in the mud" or "grumpy". If they were faced with the same situation, I'd be willing to be that the same terms could easily be applied by those with a sated appetite...and they'd be just as insulting and selfish in perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
Patti B Newbie

You shouldn't be forced to go somewhere unsafe. I agree with the above responses- if you were vegetarian, you wouldn't be expected to go to a steakhouse. Only, this is worse! Rather than being presented with foods you don't WANT to eat, you are being presented with foods you CAN'T eat... because they'll make you sick! There have been times when my bf and I have split up from the group and met up with everyone later. I'm sure people would rather a little "rudeness" than someone getting sick.

Archived