This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Recipe For Last Year

purple

purple Community Regular

I saw this on another site and thought it would be fun and helpful if we made a thread of our "most favorite new recipe" for last year, plz post it or the link...Thanks and have fun trying them out!

I thought of several but I love chocolate so I chose this recipe:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=63842

Low Fat Fudgy Brownies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

I discovered this recipe last year. Orange and Almond Cake. Love it and its even easier to make than this - I simply blend the orange segments, orange peel ( but not the bitter white part) in a food processor with all the other ingredients.

Flourless Orange and Almond Cake is a classic Passover dessert drawing on the Sephardic traditions of Morocco, the Mediterranean and the Middle East (where citrus was more available).

Ingredients

2 oranges

6 eggs

250g caster sugar

250g almond meal

1tsp baking powder

Extra caster sugar for dusting before baking

Icing sugar for dusting after baking

Margarine or oil spray (for greasing the pan)

View conversion table

Preparation

Wash oranges and place unpeeled, in a pot of boiling water for 2 hours. Drain the water and allow the oranges to cool. This can be done ahead of time.

Preheat oven to 190

missy'smom Collaborator

I think this Rainbow Gelatin Mold is what kiddo would vote for. We tried it over Xmas vacation and stayed up very late waiting to add the last layer. Next morning he declared that "it was worth it mom"!

Open Original Shared Link

We both loved these grainless lowcarb, but very flavorful meatballs.

Jestgar Rising Star

Be sure to check out David's site:

freeatlast Collaborator

Purple, thanks for this idea of sharing our favorite recipe with each other. Mine comes from the gluten-free goddess:

Note: Do NOT add extra liquid to the batter to make it more like cake batter. Next time, I will not do that b/c it was not quite done after 50 minutes and the edges were very dark.

But, it was sooooooo good, I ate 3 slices out of the oven. Ohmygosh. Incredibly delicious!!!!!! I will definitely make this cake every year from now on. Loved it!

Roda Rising Star

I have to say hands down this has been the most rewarding recipe for me last year and to come. Cake made from beans:

I have made cakes using splenda, sugar and erythritol/stevia and all versions turned out great. For the chocolate cake I did increase the cocoa to 1/4 cup in addition to the 2 oz of baking chocolate. I made the carrot cake version with progresso cannellini beans, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a 1/4 tsp each of cloves, nutmeg and alspice. I tried it with great northern beans and it would not bake; just a mushy mess. I will only use the progresso cannellini beans for it.

RDR Apprentice

My favorite recipe this year has to be the gluten-free fried dough recipe from Open Original Shared Link It's not only good as a treat with powdered sugar and cinnamon but could help make a great meal as well with additions. The only change I've made is replacing the all-purpose flour with straight potato starch.

I remove it from its pan after cooling 5 mins, put it on a metal caking sheet, top it with toppings of choice and put it under the broiler 3-5 mins and its ready to eat. My two favorite topping combinations so far are pre-cooked scrambled eggs topped with american cheese and pre-fried steakumm and Jones Dairy Farm Natural breakfast sausage roll topped by american cheese. They come out softer and just a touch sweeter than a standard pizza crust which adds well to the taste. With tomato sauce and cheese I think it comes out tasting like the old Pepperidge Farms pastry crust pizzas :D.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Purple, anyway to change the topic title to "Favorite recipe for 2009". I like posting and think we should do it every year.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Steak Umms are gluten free? I haven't had them for over 15 years because every time I ate a sandwich with them I got sick. Did not know at the time it was the gluten in the bread!!!!!!

Steak Umms with fried onions peppers on Against the Grain baguettes coming up soon.

RDR Apprentice

Steak Umms are gluten free? I haven't had them for over 15 years because every time I ate a sandwich with them I got sick. Did not know at the time it was the gluten in the bread!!!!!!

Steak Umms with fried onions peppers on Against the Grain baguettes coming up soon.

Yup Steakumms only ingredient is beef and there's no manufactured in a shared facility warning on them :D.

Their faq: :D

"Subject: Allergens

Q: Are your products processed on a line that contains any allergens such as dairy, eggs, wheat, barley, peanuts, tree nuts, mustard, peas, soy or garlic?

A:Steak-umm

purple Community Regular

Purple, anyway to change the topic title to "Favorite recipe for 2009". I like posting and think we should do it every year.

I think its a good idea...that way we can collect wonderful, favorite recipes. Pass the idea on to the right people...I don't know how :ph34r: I saw the year thread done on a garden web site and on a celiac site.

jerseyangel Proficient

My favorite recipe this year has to be the gluten-free fried dough recipe from Open Original Shared Link

Wow!! That looks so good. I've bookmarked it--thank you :D

mushroom Proficient

I have several, but I choose Crusty kalamata olive and rosemary bread:

Open Original Shared Link Thanks to Rachelle for posting this.

amybeth Enthusiast

RDR,

I tried that dough....used less butter than the recipe called for, cooked it 15 additonal minutes, and it was still really moist - almost seemed saturated. I can see the potential, but I'm wondering what I did wrong....

RDR Apprentice

RDR,

I tried that dough....used less butter than the recipe called for, cooked it 15 additonal minutes, and it was still really moist - almost seemed saturated. I can see the potential, but I'm wondering what I did wrong....

What flour combination do you use? I make it with either carol fenster's sorghum/tapioca/potato blend or straight potato starch (which makes it look more like a bread than a fried dough). I bake it in a 8" glass pie plate. I don't bake it more than the given time and make sure the oven shelf is just under the halfway mark. Once done I remove it from the pie plate onto a metal cookie sheet to cool about 5 mins. Hopefully something there will help. It always seems to come out right for me which is actually kind of funny since 90% of my other recipe attempts don't :lol:.

amybeth Enthusiast

Used Pamelas Baking/Pancake mix...Wonder how much of a difference that would be.

msmini14 Enthusiast

This is my favorite dish so far, I make mine with chicken thighs since it has a better texture in the chili compared to chicken breast. I cook mine in a big skillet, comes out great.

When I bake whole chicken I will use the left overs for this or cook some extra chicken ahead of time.

Santa Fe Chicken Chili Recipe

You can easily make this recipe in your favorite slow cooker or Crock Pot, following manufacturer's instructions for chili or soup using cooked (canned) beans. Add the cooked chicken and lime juice near the end of cooking time, to keep it tender and fresh tasting. Vegans take note: make this vegan with your favorite veggie "sausage" or crumbled "burger" instead of chicken.

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 medium sweet onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste

1/4-1 teaspoon ground cayenne or chipotle pepper, to taste

1 sweet potato, peeled, diced

2 15-oz. cans pinto or white beans, rinsed, drained

1 28-oz. can Muir Glen organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes, with juice

8-oz. (1 cup) chopped roasted green chilies- mild or hot

2 cups chicken broth, more if needed

1 tablespoon balsamic or apple cider vinegar

A small drizzle of agave

2 heaping cups cooked chicken pieces- hand torn looks nice

Juice of 1 lime, or to taste

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and warm the olive oil; cook the onions until they are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and spices and stir for a minute.

Add the diced sweet potato, beans, tomatoes, green chiles, broth, balsamic vinegar, and agave. Stir gently to combine it all.

Bring it to a simmer and lower the heat; cover and cook the chili for 30 minutes or so until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add a touch more liquid if you need to. Add the cooked chicken and some lime juice.

Taste test and adjust the seasonings - more heat? More lime? A tad more sweetness? Good chili has a balance of these flavors.

Warm through and serve when you are ready.

If the chili thickens too much thin it with broth; if the chili becomes too thin cook it longer with the lid off to reduce the liquid.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

You're welcome!!! I've also made it omitting the olives and adding whole cloves of garlic (LOTS of them--they sell them by the bag in the produce section of the grocery store so I don't have to peel them myself ;) )--TDF!!!

This is my favorite of all time. I just use whatever flour blend I have at home (just flour-no additives, ie xanthan gum, salt...) I also add 1/2 stick of melted butter to the brown sugar/cinnamon filling mixture--makes them EXTRA gooey, and you can't have UN-gooey cinnamon rolls!! :P

jerseyangel Proficient

This is my favorite of all time. I just use whatever flour blend I have at home (just flour-no additives, ie xanthan gum, salt...) I also add 1/2 stick of melted butter to the brown sugar/cinnamon filling mixture--makes them EXTRA gooey, and you can't have UN-gooey cinnamon rolls!! :P

Rachelle, those look amazing!

RDR Apprentice

Used Pamelas Baking/Pancake mix...Wonder how much of a difference that would be.

"INGREDIENTS: Brown Rice Flour, White Rice Flour, Cultured Buttermilk, Natural Almond Meal (may appear as brown flecks), Tapioca Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Grainless & Aluminum Free Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Potato Starch), Baking Soda, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum."

Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix has baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and buttermilk already in it. I'm not entirely sure but I'm thinking that may be the problem. Since the recipe doesn't usually call for any leaveners or gums maybe that's making the difference.

Roda Rising Star

Did you use the called for flours or did you substitute any? This sounds like it would be good baked in my new clay baker.

lobita Apprentice

I love this topic. I ventured out this year and tried gluten-free oats and was able to tolerate them! So my fav recipe was one I adapted from Cook Illustrated, their Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal with Dried Cherries. I substitute Craisins for the dried cherries.

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I usually put in a mix of gluten-free flours, like 3/4 c rice flour, 1/4 c sorghum, 1/4 c tapioca and 1 tsp of xanthum gum...or something like that, I've found it doesn't really matter much the gluten-free flour mix in this cookie recipe)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

2 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned (make sure it's Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats)

1 cup dried tart cherries (I substitute Craisins)

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into chunks about size of chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup...I usually just use Nestle Chocolate Chip)

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, preferably dark

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flours, xanthum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, stir together gluten-free oats, cherries/Craisins, and chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Rachelle, those look amazing!

Beyond amazing!!! And easy to make! I make them the night before, get them into the pan and put them in the fridge, then bake in the morning for a no fuss breakfast treat! :)

Did you use the called for flours or did you substitute any? This sounds like it would be good baked in my new clay baker.

I make my own flour blend and I sub in mine for all the recommended flours. I do this for all recipes and it turns out fine every time. You can use the suggested flours or use any gluten-free flour blend that is flour only--no added salt, xanthan gum, baking soda, etc...

mushroom Proficient

The only sub I made was quinoa for amaranth, but Rachelle says she substitutes freely.

purple Community Regular

I love this topic. I ventured out this year and tried gluten-free oats and was able to tolerate them! So my fav recipe was one I adapted from Cook Illustrated, their Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal with Dried Cherries. I substitute Craisins for the dried cherries.

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I usually put in a mix of gluten-free flours, like 3/4 c rice flour, 1/4 c sorghum, 1/4 c tapioca and 1 tsp of xanthum gum...or something like that, I've found it doesn't really matter much the gluten-free flour mix in this cookie recipe)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

2 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned (make sure it's Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats)

1 cup dried tart cherries (I substitute Craisins)

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into chunks about size of chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup...I usually just use Nestle Chocolate Chip)

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, preferably dark

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flours, xanthum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, stir together gluten-free oats, cherries/Craisins, and chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Those sound scrumptious...I think I will make them for my dd when I get some new craisins...Thanks for the recipe! :D

Archived