4 replies to this topic

#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

My husband, by mistake, has not eaten much wheat, if at all since my kitchen is pretty much gluten free. Anyway, he commented that he has not been near as bloated lately, he has been having much more normal bowel movements, hardly any diarrhea (the toilet has been clean for a week!!) . And he is not constipated for five or six days. He does eat school lunch and he probably eats some here and there, but not the normal toast for lunch, sandwich for lunch, cookies, etc etc etc. He did this totally without thinking. I offered to take a loaf of his bread out of the freezer and his comment was, "no way, I don't want to feel like crap."

I have never been formally diagnosed, and I don't plan on getting that done. I have just chosen to eat this way, because I feel so much better. My husband, most likely, will not get any tests done either.

I want to know what symptoms Celiac is actually associated with and if there is medical proof to back it up?

BAMBAM
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

What are the symptoms? How long have they been present? How often do they occur?

Abdominal cramping/bloating
Abdominal distention
Acidosis
Appetite (Increased to the point of craving)
Back pain (Such as a result of collapsed lumbar vertebrae)
Constipation
Decreased ability to clot blood
Dehydration
Diarrhea (See Stools below)
Edema
Electrolyte depletion
Energy loss
Fatigue
Feet (Reduced fat padding)
Flatus (Passing gas)
Gluten ataxia
Mouth sores or cracks in the corners
Muscle cramping (Especially in the hands and legs)
Night blindness
Skin (Very dry)
Stools (Loose? Hard? Small? Large? Foul smelling? Floating? Clay, Light tan or Gray-colored? Highly rancid? Frothy?)
Tongue (Smooth or geographic - looks like different continents)
Tooth enamel defects
Weakness
Weight loss

B. The Patient's Emotional State

What is the patient's emotional state? Is it consistent throughout the day? When and for how long do the symptoms occur?

Depression
Disinterested in normal activities
Irritable
Mood changes
Unable to concentrate

C. Additional Conditions

What else is involved? Other diseases? Other organs?

Amenorrhea
Iron-deficiency anemia
Bone disease
Hyperparathyroidism

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:50 AM

There are a few possibilities:
  • That he has celiac also
  • That he has a wheat allergy or sensitivity
  • That he just doesn't feel well when he eats it. My mom doesn't have celiac disease, but certain wheat products can cause bloating, etc. We weren't supposed to eat wheat--our digestive systems can't digest part of it...

#4 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

Broncobux

My husband is diabetic, he has for the last ten years or so, lots of diarrhea, boated, gassy, has to burp all the time. He says he has to drink pop to get the air out of his stomach. He is also taking Nexium. He has a huge appetite, about 50 pounds over weight. He also has bad teeth in general. He also has mood chjanges but I usually hook that with his blood sugar levels. The higher the sugar, the worse it gets.

I was looking for a list of symptoms taht so that I could show it to him and he can make a decision. Thank you for the list.

I am self diagnosed, and I know my body, I am never going to touch wheat again. My husband has always eaten what I do, I don't cook two separate meals, but the last few months he stopped eating cereal, and now he hardly ever eats toast or sandwiches, although he did eat a hot dog the other day. He says he just feels so much better.

bambam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like your husband has been showing signs and symptoms of celiac or at least gluten intolerance. Since celiac messes up the small intestine, it also messes with blood sugar levels. It could be that part of his diabetes is actually because of the gluten problem. I'm glad he is feeling better!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: