Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutened Over Christmas

5 posts in this topic

So I am sure I got glutened over christmas... almost positive. Ate two things that looked to be gluten free but couldn't be verified. I didn't get the normal gluten symptoms...dizziness migraine. but instead have had the worst gas, bloating, and very loose stools.. I have not had a solid bm since christmas. In fact, I have to run to the bathroom when I do need to go and its always loose, almost like diarrhea. I am getting concerned now because it won't stop and everything seems to go through me..I never got my usual and now am wondering if I even got glutened. It hard to see a doctor about this because I self diagnosed with the help of my chiropractor so I just don't know what to do.

Has anyone had the stomach things last a long time? any advice? Thanks

Ads by Google:

Eat light meals: chicken soup with rice or rice noddles, jello, eggs...make sure you drink plenty of water and gatorade. I would also recommend some probotics.

While you are on the mend, try not to stress...it's possible that it can be the stomach flu. I had that a while back and though it was glutening until I went to my doc.

I hope you feel better. B)

go back to the basic foods that are known to not bother you. Last week I spent a day eating plain rice, bananas, apple, hot dogs for protein. Did you get a new lotion for Christmas or anything new that you've been using since. It took me forever to figure out that I had to change anything and everything that touches my skin. My newest issue is I think the carrageenan in the coconut milk may be giving me gas along with lactic acid which is in my soy free butter. good luck

Marsha -self-diagnosed gluten/dairy/soy intollerant

We had a very simple christmas so no lotions... we did eat alot of food..and not the best of foods, though almost everything was verified gluten free through a phone call , now wondering if something was not actually gluten free.. there was more junk than I typically eat. I am regretting it all...I am taking your advice and moving to a simple diet. Like I said, I don't feel glutened, it feels more like my IBS of years ago. I just don't understand, unless because I always eat right and going that far off the path really upset my system.

uggg.. got sick again.. tired of getting sick.

thanks guys..

I can totally relate. I had a meal that was lovingly prepared by my good friends (all apparenlty gluten free). I had to run home half way through the meal. I got really sick. We figured it was a combination of two things: 1. It turns out many things vary quite a bit by brand/manufacturer (they were using many foreign brands, and some vinegar that was likely made with malt); and 2. The foods themselves were a bit unusual (my guts were not used to them). I think if you are on a gluten free diet, and doing well, sometimes simply introducing a new food can set you off. The holidays are a perfect time for this...lots of new, different foods that we don't eat everyday.

It has been 10 days for me and I am just getting back to normal after eating super-safe foods all week.

Hope you feel better too!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thankyou both! I was wondering if my high levels left much doubt on the diagnosis. I don't see the GI until the 15th Sep and I don't think I can stand to eat gluten in that time. If he tells me to I will do so after then. After 25 years of symptoms I don't think there is much chance of healing my bowel In a couple of weeks. I'm actually terrified of the damage they might find. But I think I will need the endo since there may be other things going on with me. So great they didn't put your son through the biopsy! Once I have a formal diagnosis I have my kids to worry about also. I can't even stand the thought of my daughter having a blood test. I think she would need to be sedated as she is so fearful and pain sensitive. My son is not yet 2 so I don't think they will test him. I'm feeling so off at the moment. I think I have some anxiety and reflux going on complicating things quite a bit.
    • My son's antibodies were 300. Based on his extremely high levels, his pediatric GI suggested genetic testing instead of the biopsy. Genetic testing can't diagnose celiac on its own but combined with such high levels, the gi dr was confident a positive genetic test would confidently diagnose celiac. He warned that biopsies are small snapshots of the intestine and can miss damage. He said this is an approach used very often in Europe but not as much in the US. What sold me on that approach was the ability to put my son directly on a gluten free diet instead of waiting three weeks for the biopsy, during which time he would continue to eat gluten and feel terrible. I'm not sure if this is more common with younger patients though (our son is two), based on the idea that he's had less time to inflict damage that would show in a biopsy? We are very happy that we immediately started the gluten free diet and chose the genetic testing. Our son got the proper diagnosis and his recent number shows a drop to 71 after only 4.5 months gluten free! Not sure if this helps. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
    • We have been off gluten for a while now, and symptoms return when I've allowed gluten full meals… so something still isn't sitting right with me.  Checking with her doc about seeing a pediactric GI although I'm not sure how long that will take since we live in small town America. I know she didn't get at least one of the recommended full panel tests but maybe two, can someone help clarify, or is she missing two? DGP for sure and possibly EMA? And if I understand what I'm reading in other posts that the DGP can be more accurate? Thanks Her blood panel results: Ttg ab iga <.5u/ml ttg igg <.8u/ml aga ab iga <.2 u/ml aga an igg <.7u/ml iga 61mg/dL  
    • I was tested for the full panel, I believe. I had normal values for t-transglutaminase (ttg) igg,t-transglutaminase (ttg) iga, deamidated gliadin abs igg, deamidated gliadin abs iga, and immunoglobulin a qn serum.  
    • Would you review this on Find Me Gluten free?  You can  use the app or just go to it on line. If the restaurant isn't listed, there is a way to suggest it.  I have done that and it works.  Many of us look at that site/ app
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ails123