Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gaining Massive Amount Of Weight Overnight!

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#1 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

I was wondering if anyone else GAINS weight after consumption of gluten. I just recently found out I was a celiac, so it has taken a while to get a grasp of all of the pitfalls, but if I eat gluten, I gain at least 5 pounds overnight and I become massively bloated and I feel awful. I know most celiacs lose weight, but I am just the opposite. I hope I am not the only one!!Megs35@hotmail.com
I LOVE JESUS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

nope you aren't the only one. I gain massive amounts of weight INSTANTLY when I accidentally get glutened. But as long as I stay gluten free the weight just drops off. weird.

#3 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

I will lose a lot of weight very quickly, until I get to a certain weight, then I am stuck, no matter how healthy I eat, or how few calories I take in...
I LOVE JESUS!

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

Another weight gainer here. Lots of bloating too.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:48 AM

Me too... gain weight as soon as gluten hits my lips. We are the "other" type of celiacs. Not a fun group to be in, but oh well!! You are not alone... :D

#6 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:44 PM

This is so true. When I've gotten exposed I'm bloated for days at a time maybe even a week and I feel so much pressure in my stomach. It does end up being about 5-10 pounds maybe even more, then it goes away. Try not to consume less than 1200 calories cause you'll shut your metabolishm down and your body will try to retain the fluid. Remember when the body feels attached or if you've exposed it, its common defense is to retain fluid to get it well or back to normal.

#7 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:45 AM

I'm a gainer too. I get really bloated and have lots of pressure in my tummy.
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

I gain weight with gluten. It is the main reason my regular doc told me I couldn't possibly have celiac. Biopsy proved otherwise to her!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#9 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, I am totally frustrated...as far as I know, I am totally gluten-free but keep gaining weight, even with exercise. My stomach is so distended all the time. It has gotten much worse the past year. I can't wait to get my clothes off some days just to feel comfortable! B)
Robin from Indiana

#10 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

Yep- Me too. At first, before I realized I had it, I had lost twenty pounds (not pretty) but now that I'm gluten-free I've gained about 15 back but when I get glutened now I gain weight. I think it's because I get bloated and constipated.

#11 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

Can I inject a little good news into this one? :P We can't do much about the bloating when accidently glutenized, but at least for women ... there is just a little good news. Most of women's slacks and some jeans now contain 2% spandex! Now that doesn't sound like much, but it does make life just a little more comforable for those of us that actually have to keep our clothes on when we are bloated :lol:

#12 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

LOL! My favorite jeans actually have a bit of the spandex in it... They really do come in handy for those times when you feel so swollen and look 5 months pregnant when your not!

Oh and one time before my dx, I had a dr tell me that all my problems would be solved if I just lost some weight, and he put me on a very specific diet very high in fiber and WHOLE WHEAT!!!! I gained like 15 pounds in just a week... I went back and screamed at him. Demanded to see a different dr. in the practice. I couldn't understand why I couldn't lose weight when I ate so very little. Didn't realize that the foods I was eating for the nausea (saltines, pretzels, dry toast) were all the culprits!

#13 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Oh, I can soooo identify!!! I swear I gain two pants sizes when I've been glutened. I've been so bloated all week, and feel like I have PMS even tho I don't (retaining water, is my guess). Also, I can't seem to get rid of about 10 pounds that I'd like to see gone...baby fat from my last child who is now 2 1/2...no matter what I do I just won't go away. Several times I've managed to get rid of 5 pounds, only to gain it back over night! It's so frustrating. I guess technically I'm not overweight, but I am really not used to being the weight I am now. I was always so skinny until about 5 years ago when all this started. My dr. told me I couldn't have celiacs, too...since I hadn't lost 15 pounds spontaniously. :angry:
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#14 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:10 AM

I just wanted to add that I too was very very skinny up until my early twenties, when I guess the damage caught up with me and my body started holding onto whatever it could (which was the fat) and even if I ate very little, I gained so much weight (for me) that I got really uncomfortable.

#15 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

There are three sizes of clothes in my closet: gluten-free, just a little gluten, and gluten attack.

Hmm...wonder if that should go into the You might be a celiac if post?
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: